Any clever ideas?

Options
2»

Comments

• barrymung
    barrymung Posts: 638 Forumite
    Options
    My complaint abour ready made sandwiches is that they ALL appear to contain mayonnaise! I HATE mayonnaise!

In other words make sure you cater for all tastes. If not, at least be prepared to cater for special orders..
  • richt71
    richt71 Posts: 946 Forumite
    Options
    Agree with whats already been said - target businesses. Give them a great discount if they agree to order everyday. In fact I saw one of those guru type programs not so long ago with a girl struggling with her sandwiche shop in canary wharf. The guru immediately got her going into all the major businesses in the area. She did so well by the end in getting regular orders she closed her shop...bought a small van and hired some help to make the sandwiches.
  • bestpud
    bestpud Posts: 11,048 Forumite
    Options
    I can second the mayo point made earlier. My oh hates it and so avoids sandwiches altogether now!

I personally like to see very clear signs saying what options are available and what each thing costs. Basically a board with the different bread/roll types and another with fillings + costs - that kind of thing? They need to be well displayed too as in a lot of smaller places you have to be near the front of the queue before you can see what's available and this can fluster some people if they haven't been in before.

We have a small sandwich shop in town and I didn't go in there until I had someone with me as it wasn't clear what they did and I hate looking an idiot. It's daft I know but I think there are lots out there like me!

Also, as said, a phone service would be good I think. I know of workplaces where someone takes an order from everyone in the morning, rings it through to the sandwich shop and then they take it in turns to go and collect them all. Obviously, a delivery service would be even better!

I don't know where you are located but do you have a children's menu? I know I will often avoid sandwich shops if I have my littlie with me as she would only want a little sandwich. Maybe a little bag with a small sandwich, a piece if fruit, a small drink and maybe crisps or a biscuit. Childrens party catering mey be another avenue to explore?

[Oops! Apologies for saying you - just realised you are asking for someone else.]
  • Genghis
    Genghis Posts: 263 Forumite
    Options
    I'd quite like to have someone that I could call up in the morning with an order, then they drop it off at my workplace, freshly made sometime before lunchtime and then charge it up to my account say every Friday. I don't normally have time to nip into town at lunch to pick up sandwiches and I never have the right change should someone offer to drop it off (hence a weekly bill). And I sure as hell can't be bothered making them the night before! :)

That said, I only go to sandwich shops where the owner noticeably puts a lot of effort into their business i.e the best bread (with decent choice), the freshest salad & fillings (and plenty of it) and friendly service.
    Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo Da Vinci
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,123 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    bestpud wrote: »
    I don't know where you are located but do you have a children's menu? I know I will often avoid sandwich shops if I have my littlie with me as she would only want a little sandwich.
    And even now mine are bigger than me they're quite fussy about sandwiches with too many 'extras': one of mine doesn't like pickle, or sauce, or salad, or anything fancy in his. A plain cheese or ham sandwich would be perfect for him, but it can be quite hard to buy! Now he will pick the bits he doesn't like out, but he'd rather not have them there in the first place!
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • chinup_3
    chinup_3 Posts: 180 Forumite
    Options
    excellent sarnie shop opposite trent bridge cricket ground here in nottingham, got huge biz and free superb publicity during ashes tour- now closed down. why? parking: these places have to be accessible ie- park outside or very near,legally without parking fine risk, dive in getting FAST service,car not blocked in during that time [!} and away. i see so many take away food places close due to sheer poor location, especially parking for reps, delivery men, builders etc etc.

100 posts- strewth !!
    remember always -'' life shrinks or expands in proportion to ones courage''
  • BWZN93
    BWZN93 Posts: 2,182 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I agree about location. Near my work there are loads of sandwich shops etc but the most successful is philpotts - http://www.philpotts.co.uk/home I imagine its because it appears upmarket, and there is the option of ordering online. I would find it really handy to be able to either phone through an order or if there was a delivery service available. Sometimes I dont want cold food though so having the option of hot or toasted sandwiches and soups helps too!

Jo x
    #KiamaHouse
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family