Any clever ideas?

Options
My friend started up a Sandwich shop last year and his sandwiches are really good and really good value but his business just does not seem to be taking off. He thinks things are pretty bad at present and is considering calling it a day. Does anybody have any hints or tips to get things moving? He has tried leaflet drops and special sandwich deals but nothing seems to work. All suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Comments

• aimingforadebtfreelife
    Options
    depends on location, if its in the wrong area it will never work regardless of price. Only suggestion I could think of which may not have tried are any medium to large sized businesses in the area. The company I work for spends a small fortune on entertaining visitors - the firm we use provides a small buffet at so much per head - usually only for max of 10 visitors - sandwiches, cakes, suasage rolls - he just drops it off in a large bread tray and leaves it for us to lay out.
  • Mark7799
    Mark7799 Posts: 4,803 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think your friend needs to consider marketing and looking at the service offered. Obviously we don't know what is being done at present but have they done any of the following?

Leafleting local business & discount with leaflet
    Offering an order by phone/fax service
    Deliveries (ordered and on spec)
    Meal Deals (e.g free tea with every order)
    Gwlad heb iaith, gwlad heb galon
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,061 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If there are local business parks nearby, are they already served by a sandwich van? If not, that might be worth exploring - captive audience! Also would he be able to offer sandwich lunches for local businesses? give out a leaflet with each sandwich, special discounts etc.

With this type of business, I'd have thought location was fairly key, certainly in the early stages. Is there enough passing trade to make it viable long term? Only he can really answer that question ... if he's in the wrong place, then better to recognise that sooner rather than later!
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • ashy_mashy
    ashy_mashy Posts: 419 Forumite
    Options
    what's the person who serves the sandwiches like? is he friendly? is he chatty etc? I remember the small sandwich shop near my school was doing very well because he was a cool guy from Brazil or something and got on with everyone, he seemed to remember everyone. He started putting up photos of him and the students, other customers etc, I thought it was kind of weird but in a way he I think it added to the whole friendly atmosphere and he managed to get lots of returned customers.
  • southernscouser
    southernscouser Posts: 33,745 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Everyone seems to drink poncy coffee these days for some odd reason. Can he start flogging them aswell? :confused:
  • Witsend_2
    Witsend_2 Posts: 634 Forumite
    Options
    Maybe he should put his prices up? A lot of people I know don't go for the best value!
    Remember every waking moment is a chance to turn it all around.;) Knowledge is the key to respect.:cool:

• Garnet_Gem
    Garnet_Gem Posts: 681 Forumite
    Options
    How about a "sandwich sale "every Monday? Most people regret what they've spent at the week-end so if he offers a price cut on a Monday and his customers like his sandwiches they'll start buying their lunch from him on other days.
  • chattycathyuk
    Options
    Try targeting busines's, delively sevice for lunch times as people are so busy working, and only have a hour to buy food, eat and rush back! i know a lady who does this and makes a fourtune!

Make up a menu list with tick boxes monday tuesday etc send theses to companys pick them up at 10am drop of at 12pm-1pm

Also add drinks cakes fruits and sweets. And maybe do specials, jacket potatoes, curry bowls ect. As sometimes people can get a bit bored of cold food.

Trust me this will work, We are so busy working these day we forget to eat! and need delively sevice to remind us!

Hope This helps!
  • ashy_mashy
    ashy_mashy Posts: 419 Forumite
    Options
    this might be kind of off topic, but is there a Subway sandwich shop in the area? Have you thought about creating a Subway franchise?
  • newlywed
    newlywed Posts: 8,255 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    If there are local business parks nearby, are they already served by a sandwich van? If not, that might be worth exploring - captive audience! Also would he be able to offer sandwich lunches for local businesses? give out a leaflet with each sandwich, special discounts etc.

We had a sandwich van that just sat outside bibbing, but the food wasn't great. Then a new guy started up a round came into your office with a basket of fresh bagettes with a huge variety of fillings - and you can ring the day before and request a specific one. He also brings choc bars and crisps.

Plus he's really friendly and remembers if you suggest a new bagette filling.

Don't think the old sandwich van does much business anymore. ;)
    working on clearing the clutterDo I want the stuff or the space?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure