Any way to reduce water bill without a meter?

Options
Hello,

I've just had my water bill through and it seems pretty big.

Dee Valley Water are charging £488.29 per year, I only moved to the area about 6 months ago, can't remember exactly what my Severn Valley were charging but I'm sure it was about half this amount.

It is just myself and my toddler in a 3 bedroom house. It's a rented property and the tenancy agreement states that no water meters or utility pre-payment meters can be fitted.

I looked into the reduction schemes mentioned on my bill (Water Sure & Water Assist), but I am not elligible for either (you have to have a certain medical condition or 3 or more children).

Does anyone have any suggestions how I can reduce this bill without installing a meter?

Thanks
If you don't like where you are - move. You are not a tree.

Comments

• macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If your STA is more than 6m, then such a clause is not enforceable. The LL cannot enforce it and you should have struck it out of the lease.
    Prices vary hugely both from region to region and because of variations in the RV.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,038 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Not only can the landlord not enforce such a provision, the water company can compulsorily fit a meter on change of occupant - albeit not all companies enforce that regulation.
  • gothicfairythe3rd
    Options
    Most of the tenancy agreements I have seen have this clause as it is a "hanger on" from years ago and most landlords do not update their contracts.
    As has been said it is not legally binding so if you have a 6mth or most tenancy get a meter fitted.
    Or you could "ask" the water company about a change of occupier meter and hint that you would like one fitted..some do take that hint and action the work without the words being said.
  • Froglet
    Froglet Posts: 2,796 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Actually how would the landlord even know? And how would it affect him anyway ?

You would certainly save a lot by getting a meter.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure