Which card is most suitable for me?

Options
fawnsinthegarden
fawnsinthegarden Posts: 146 Forumite
edited 1 March 2014 at 1:30AM in Credit cards
Hi, I hope somebody will be able to help.

I have done a soft search to see which credit cards are likely to accept me. A little background, I have not a lot of credit history, if they use Experian I only have a settled catalogue account, which I had for several years but never used, and my current account both show those lovely green dots to say all has been well, no defaults etc.

So capital one classic and capital one classic extra are the ones that come up 70% alongside the Luma card.

I work, and really just want to establish credit/build up a good history. I'm just wondering whether the classic extra would be a no no with such limited history? And if I did apply for it would they automatically offer me a different one such as a classic if that was better suited?

Comments

• parksajj
    parksajj Posts: 84 Forumite
    Options
    Who do you bank with?

What's your annual income?
  • fawnsinthegarden
    Options
    I don't think who I bank with or my income makes any difference between these two cards unless you know otherwise?

Any ideas anyone?

I'm thinking its safer to go for the classic, but if capital one would offer me a classic instead of classic plus when applying for classic plus it would be silly to apply for the classic, does that make sense?
  • JunkUtopia
    JunkUtopia Posts: 32 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I don't think who I bank with or my income makes any difference between these two cards unless you know otherwise?

I suspect parksajj is asking because it doesn't sound like you have a bad credit history, so if you've banked with someone for awhile and they trust you, they might well be able to get a credit card with them that will be much better than any of the sub-prime cards.

Your income ALWAYS matters with a credit card.

As it stands I can tell you last week I applied for the Capital One Extra and I had one defaulted debt on my credit report from 5 years ago. I got a letter last week saying I was accepted but it didn't state what card, and they gave me a APR of 29.9% whereas they are both listed on the website at 34.9%. I'm just happy to have a card with a default against me for credit building so I'm just going to see what comes in the post, but in your situation I would happily apply for the Extra and expect to get it.
  • parksajj
    parksajj Posts: 84 Forumite
    Options
    JunkUtopia wrote: »
    I suspect parksajj is asking because it doesn't sound like you have a bad credit history, so if you've banked with someone for awhile and they trust you, they might well be able to get a credit card with them that will be much better than any of the sub-prime cards.

Your income ALWAYS matters with a credit card.

As it stands I can tell you last week I applied for the Capital One Extra and I had one defaulted debt on my credit report from 5 years ago. I got a letter last week saying I was accepted but it didn't state what card, and they gave me a APR of 29.9% whereas they are both listed on the website at 34.9%. I'm just happy to have a card with a default against me for credit building so I'm just going to see what comes in the post, but in your situation I would happily apply for the Extra and expect to get it.

Thats exactly why I asked. if fawnsinthegarden has a good internal bank score, no ccj's defaults or other negatives why slum it down on a sub primer when they could have a prime card with better rewards/cashback and a customer service facility that doesn't make you want to pull your hair out? !!
  • fawnsinthegarden
    Options
    Thanks for the advice.

Unfortunately I haven't banked with my current bank for very long but hopefully that will be an option further down the line.

Whilst sorting out my credit report, I found an old forgotten about credit card account so I have updated my details and will use that for the meantime as it's not sub-prime but it does have a very dire limit. I'm hoping if I just use it for petrol and pay it off on time it will improve my credit worthiness and not need to worry about sub prime applications. Well, one can hope at least.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure