Week old sofa - DFs

Options
A week ago today we took delivery of a new sofa and armchair from DFS. After a couple of days I noticed that the top of the cushion at the back of the armchair was really lumpy. I've tried plumping this up without any joy. I've also noticed that the fabric on both sofa and chair looks slightly worn already where we have sat. It's a velour type material with bobbles on but they all look really flat where we've sat. I went in the store yesterday (six days after delivery) and they are sending someone out next week to look at it.

What exactly are my rights? My previous sofa was from
Next and was still looked immaculate after eight years!!

I don't want them fobbing me of saying they'll repair it.

Comments

• InsideInsurance
    Options
    You explicitly want to say you are rejecting it under the Sales of Goods Act, unfortunately you only have a "reasonable" time to do this in and so the sooner the better.

As soon as you are considered to have accepted it then it becomes the retailers decision on if to repair, replace or refund
  • jillybobs
    Options
    I'm going to definitely have to stand my ground when they come round. I'm sure they'll try and fob me off with repairing it or something but I'm not having any of it!!
  • InsideInsurance
    Options
    jillybobs wrote: »
    I'm going to definitely have to stand my ground when they come round. I'm sure they'll try and fob me off with repairing it or something but I'm not having any of it!!
    I wouldnt wait until then

The right to reject is a modest window that is not legally defined as X days. The longer you wait the harder your fight will be if you have a statutory right to reject it.
  • jillybobs
    Options
    Thanks:) I'll call in over weekend then with my husband and see what they say. I'll keep you posted.
  • oldoakey
    oldoakey Posts: 146 Forumite
    Options
    It sounds to me that the seat problem is pile flattening, this can occur on any fabric with a pile and is not an indication of wear. This can happen immediately or never at all depending on. It would be difficult for any retailer to accept a return on that basis.

As for the lumpy back cushions, these are normally made from fibre filling and can have a uneven look or it may be the inners are at fault. I would take one out of the cover to inspect it to see if the filling has been blown in evenly. If not then perhaps request new ones to be fitted. Again a difficult one to enable you to send the lot back.

Sorry if this is not what you want to hear but its just my input from near on 25 years in the trade.

Good luck
  • DomRavioli
    DomRavioli Posts: 3,136 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have a velour type sofa from DFS - I just use a soft velvet clothing brush to fluff it up.

As for the cushions, you have to maintain them, by plumping daily. Only takes a minute.
  • jillybobs
    jillybobs Posts: 313 Forumite
    Options
    I think the cushions possibly need more padding in them so will see that they say about that. I do plump the cushions every day but really think the sofa should look better than this after only a week. I understand that the fabric will get flattened but would have expected this to be pointed out to me when I purchased it. If I had realised I would have to plump and brush the cushions every day, this would have certainly made me think about buying it. Thanks for all your comments:).
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,474 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    There was a thread on these forums, a few weeks ago, where someone had a stair carpet that became flattened after a few weeks use. The retailer gave them a free upgraded replacement.
  • DFS_representative
    DFS_representative Posts: 34 Organisation Representative
    Options
    We are sorry to learn you are unhappy with your furniture. We would love to see if we can help so please contact us on 01302 330365 and ask for the Customer Service Department.

Kind regards

Customer Service - DFS
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of DFS. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • marinsmith
    Options
    Sofa makes the beauty of home. I want to buy home bars for my new home. Can anyone suggest me from where I can get best sofa in affordable price....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure