Blue Badges

Options

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,798 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Again eye problems in and of themselves would not be sufficient reason - my aunt had macular degeneration but was able to get round perfectly well. You need to show the effect that the illnesses are having, as opposed to just stating what they are, if you haven't already done so. Unless (as Indie Kid says) it's so severe that she can be registered blind.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • bryanb
    bryanb Posts: 4,994 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Mojisola wrote: »
    Is that legal?

Probably not, but the guy who administers the BBs told me as much over the phone when I was chasing BB for mother in law. Wanted the car reg No.
    This is an open forum, anyone can post and I just did !
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,798 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    That's a bit nonsensical if them, given that the person with the blue badge can be driven round by any number of people in their own personal cars.
    I'd probably just have given them my own registration number and said I was the most regular driver.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Morglin
    Morglin Posts: 15,920 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    My dad age 86 with walking difficulties got turned down recently, even with GP support.

Most councils are cutting back on them, particularly for the elderly, and unless a person gets HR DLA mobility, it is increasingly difficult to qualify.

Lin :(
    You can tell a lot about a woman by her hands..........for instance, if they are placed around your throat, she's probably slightly upset. ;)
  • Flugelhorn
    Flugelhorn Posts: 5,614 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    As a GP I get people coming in complaining that they have been turned down for a BB (they apply through the local council and answer computer based questions) .
    Unfortunately they think it is all my fault that they have no badge.
    I have spoken to the council and they advise me to write letters in support of the BB and this seems to have worked on some occasions.
  • clarryd
    clarryd Posts: 636 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have a blue badge and have not long renewed it.

They should get a hold of the people who have blue badges that are out of date, not legal, or just using it as they have it for someone they drive around that does need one.

I see so many people with nothing wrong with them, young lads, young girls that seem to have these BB and miss use them.

The council should get a shake up and give the BB's to people like your Nana and other elderly sick people.

(Just so are aware I have had a BB since 2005 as I had a stroke and this led to other problems).
  • Morglin
    Options
    My dad's council took the view (they said) that most elderly people have difficulties and they can't give them out to everyone.

Lin :)
    You can tell a lot about a woman by her hands..........for instance, if they are placed around your throat, she's probably slightly upset. ;)
  • Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Morglin wrote: »
    My dad's council took the view (they said) that most elderly people have difficulties and they can't give them out to everyone.

This makes no sense. Surely, if you have difficulties walking or however you qualify, your age doesn't matter. They can't pick and choose who they give them to based on age.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • sueturnersmith
    Options
    I know that people who get the higher rate of DLA/PIP mobility automatically qualify, but what about those that become unable to walk after age 65? Councils are increasing turning anyone down who does not get DLA/PIP mobility!
  • Morglin
    Options
    Indie_Kid wrote: »
    This makes no sense. Surely, if you have difficulties walking or however you qualify, your age doesn't matter. They can't pick and choose who they give them to based on age.

I agree with you, but that is their way of controlling the numbers allocated.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure