Blue Badges

Does anybody know anything about them?

I'm know nothing but want to find out if this is usual, or whether we should contest it?

My darling Nana (who is 90) and walks using a stick, and has glaucoma, and macular degeneration has just been turned down for a blue badge.

Now obviously she doesn't drive, but my Mum is her carer and takes her shopping and was applying for her as it's difficult for her to get about safely.

But they said no! I'm genuinely surprised that said no, to a 90 year old with walking difficulties and eye problems. But this could be usual - hence my post here.

Anybody?
Baby 2b born March 2013! :j:j:j

Comments

• schrodie
    schrodie Posts: 8,410 Forumite
    You could approach your Gran's GP who may provide a letter of support so when you reapply may add some weight. I'm not sure if there's an appeals process but it may be worth enquiring.

It may be the case (I don't know) that if you were in a different council area your Gran may have been issued one.
  • spacey2012
    spacey2012 Posts: 5,836 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Many councils now use the approach that if you do not qualify for mobility element of DLA and have managed to walk in to the assessment centre you don't need one.
    Be happy...;)
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,679 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    They have to give a reason for turning you down (well, our council does, anyway.) Which will allow you to check that they had all the relevant information in making a decision.
    Have a look at these guidelines as an example to see if you think your nan applies.
    http://www.worcestershire.gov.uk/cms/pdf/Can-I-get-a-blue-badge.pdf
    Just using a stick in and of itself would not be enough, nor would your nan's age, you would need to demonstrate that walking causes her considerable difficulty ie pain, breathlessness. And it is down to each council to decide how to appy the rules, so you need to get hold of the eligibility criteria for your area. Plus back up from GP etc would also help.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • bryanb
    bryanb Posts: 4,993 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    In my area it's No car = No blue badge.
    This is an open forum, anyone can post and I just did !
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,679 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Our area does let you have a blue badge without owning a car - just goes to show how much open to interpretation it can be between councils.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Is she registered blind? Which gives automatic entitlement to a blue badge. The registration has to be done at the eye hospital by her consultant.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • I just can't understand why there are so many variations in different boroughs regarding things like Blue Badges, Telecare, Dementia Clubs and who pays, or gets, what.

It seems grossly unfair to me that 2 people, who can have identical health problems, but live in different boroughs, can qualify, or not, for help.

I wish you and your Nana all the best.

xx
  • Councils have toughened up considerably on the issue of blue badges recently. I would try to appeal, with medical back-up from her GP and consultant, but you may not be successful.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 28 February 2014 at 1:59PM
    bryanb wrote: »
    In my area it's No car = No blue badge.

Is that legal?

Someone registered as blind or severely sight-impaired automatically qualifies for a BB. I can't see many of them being drivers.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    2ba3c wrote: »
    My darling Nana (who is 90) and walks using a stick, and has glaucoma, and macular degeneration has just been turned down for a blue badge.

Now obviously she doesn't drive, but my Mum is her carer and takes her shopping and was applying for her as it's difficult for her to get about safely.

But they said no! I'm genuinely surprised that said no, to a 90 year old with walking difficulties and eye problems. But this could be usual - hence my post here.

https://www.adviceguide.org.uk/wales/consumer_w/consumer_cars_and_other_vehicles_e/consumer_driving_and_parking_e/consumer_driving_and_parking_for_disabled_people_e/consumer_the_blue_badge_scheme_e/who_is_eligible_for_a_blue_badge_w.htm
    This is the relevant bit -
    You will generally only be able to get a blue badge if you can walk only with great difficulty, and at an extremely slow pace or with excessive pain. No other factors, such as how difficult you find it to carry objects, will be taken into account.

Your difficulties must be permanent and not temporary. For example, if you have a broken leg, you can’t apply for a blue badge.

It might be worth contacting your Nana's local AgeUK office - they will know how the local BB system works.

If her eyesight is very poor, it would be worth pursuing it from that aspect as well.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure