Multi fuel Fire's

Options
Hi I am looking to install a multi fuel fire and would very much appreciate any guidance information.

Could anyone kindly please give any manufacturer recommendations for multi fuel fires. ( rereliabuility, build quality, maintenance and efficiency) Keeping buget as low as possible. Reccondations for fire inserts.

Recommendations websites to purchase.

Pros/Cons for back boiler multi fuel fire's.

Any recommendations for fitters Leicestershire.

Comments

• Petstalk
    Petstalk Posts: 202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Anyone have any advice x
  • SG27
    SG27 Posts: 2,773 Forumite
    Options
    Post on the heating board you'll get more replies.
  • suestew
    suestew Posts: 361 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Dunsley are a good British make & parts will be cheaper than say a French one, we have just purchased one, although not moved in to our property yet so not used it :-)

this is a good site for recommendations :
    http://www.whatstove.co.uk/
  • Hoof_Hearted
    Hoof_Hearted Posts: 2,361 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    We have a Stovax woodburner. I think most makes will do the job and there are lots of showrooms about where you can see the models. I think you need a good installer to set it all up properly and safely. You need an open air vent in the room and a carbon monoxide detector. You may also need your chimney lined.

Solid fuel in not cheap and we see it as an added luxury rather than an essential for heating, although it does belt out heat when the air vents are open and it is well fuelled. We get through £200 of wood during the year.
    Je suis sabot...
  • muckybutt
    muckybutt Posts: 3,761 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    This would certainly be better on the solid fuel forum.

Anyhow - stoves ! basically you pay for what you get with them, don't expect a cheap stove to be a good stove.

Makes to consider in my opinion as a chimney sweep : Yotul - Morso - Clearview - Charnwood these are all top end makes and the price is reflected in them as is the quality.

I have had a couple of stoves in myself the latest one being a Charnwood Cove II which also incorporates a boiler for our heating, this was just over £1500 installed and chimney lined.

Depending upon the Kw size of the stove will determine if it needs an external vent - anything over 5Kw requires an external vent to replace the air in the room where the stove is.

Lining chimneys is always a grey area, depending upon age of the house and condition of the chimney will dictate if you need a liner or not, some fitters insist on a liner but it is not a lawful requirement to have one fitted, in fact my old stove was installed into an ordinary unlined chimney. There are benefits of having it lined though. They aren't cheap to run either so if it's just for aesthetic reasons then I wouldn't even consider one, likewise if you have gas it is far cheaper to run a gas fire than it would be a stove.
    You may click thanks if you found my advice useful
  • Nile
    Nile Posts: 14,930 Ambassador
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi, we move threads if we think they’ll get more help elsewhere (please read the forum rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com"]forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL].

I’ve moved your thread from the ‘In my home’ board to the ‘LPG, Heating Oil, Solid & Other Fuels’ board, where it is better suited.

Regards

Nile
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • Robwiz
    Robwiz Posts: 364 Forumite
    Options
    I went for a Dowling stove. Craftsman made from steel plate with no expensive parts that need to be replaced (rope seals, etc.). I was also swayed by the argument that a steel stove won't crack whereas cast iron might.

I got a lot of helpful advice from Steve Dowling and a keen deal on an apprentice-built stove. His response to email questions after purchase has also been really great – within a few hours.

I also researched online reviews for Dowling and couldn't find a word said against them. Ours has been absolutely fantastic - lights well, gives great heat and everyone who has seen it loves it.
  • wintergirl
    wintergirl Posts: 55 Forumite
    Options
    Petstalk wrote: »
    Could anyone kindly please give any manufacturer recommendations for multi fuel fires. ( rereliabuility, build quality, maintenance and efficiency) .

That's a bit like asking for a recommendation for a make of car! Everyone will have their own preferences. I have found that most people will not have used more than perhaps one or two stoves, as if treated properly, they will last for ever. Therefore they may well think that their stove is just fine; until the come across a more superior/ more controllable one!
    So much depends on the install as well as the stove though. As said previously, the best quality stove will perform badly if not installed or used correctly.

My only advice would be to go for the highest price your budget will allow. You may be lucky with a £250-£300 Chinese type stove, and it may work just fine, but getting a good brand name one, that is easy to get parts for will (IMO) pay off in the long run.
    We got an Aarow - would of loved a Clearview, but the price of the twin wall (no chimney in house) and the install was not cheap. Still the Aarow does the job, so can't complain!
  • Robwiz
    Robwiz Posts: 364 Forumite
    Options
    wintergirl wrote: »
    So much depends on the install as well as the stove though. As said previously, the best quality stove will perform badly if not installed or used correctly.

I would agree with this – it's hard to distinguish between the stove and the quality of installation and how well the chimney draws, etc.

I was fortunate to choose an installer who was obsessive about getting the flue liner in without damaging it. It took him two days (all for a fixed price) and whilst there was dust everywhere and it's inconvenient having someone working in the house for two days it was worth it for his obsessive attention to detail. I would start with an installer who has the best reputation you can find and then choose a stove that he would be happy installing and is sized right for your room.

As I mentioned above, the appeal of the Dowling stove for me was that it [STRIKE]won't[/STRIKE] shouldn't need spare parts and the maker himself says that repairs can be done by any decent blacksmith.
  • soursweet
    soursweet Posts: 19 Forumite
    Options
    I am a HETAS reg installer and a member of The Guild of Master chimney sweeps and I have owned a Jotul F100 multi fuel stove for 15 years and never, every had to buy a spare part for my stove or any of my customers f100.
    jamesthesweep.co.uk
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport