Royal Mail Price Rises 2014

Options
To be implemented 31 March 2014 - these have been posted by someone on the ebay business and powerseller forums who claims to work for Royal Mail - so these shouldn't be taken as gospel until confirmed by Royal mail, who should be publishing them tomorrow.

Domestic:

Letter
1st Class 62p - 2nd Class 53p

Large Letter
0-100g = 1st - 93p - 2nd 73p
101-250g = 1st - £1.24 - 2nd - £1.17

Small Parcel
0-1kg = 1st - £3.20 - 2nd - £2.80
1-2kg = 1st - £5.45 - 2nd - £3.80

Medium Parcel prices are staying the same.
Prices effective from 31st March 2014

Overseas:

"International letters over 100g and/or larger than 240mm x 165mm, with thickness greater than 5mm are charged at the small packet rate"
This is the direct quote from the documentation i have been given, which is no change from the current setup.

Europe Letter
to 20g - 97p
to 60g - £1.47
to 100g - £2.35

RoW Letter
to 20g - £1.28
to 60g - £2.15
to 100g - £3.48

Europe Packet
to 100g - £3.20
to 250g - £3.70
to 500g - £5.15
to 750g - £6.60
to 1kg - £8.05

Zone 1 Packet
to 100g - £3.80
to 250g - £4.75
to 500g - £7.45
to 750g - £10.15
to 1kg - £12.85

Zone 2 Packet
to 100g - £4.00
to 250g - £5.05
to 500g - £7.90
to 750g - £10.75
to 1kg - £13.60

Comments

• marking_bad
    Options
    !!!!!!, why such stupid amounts? Nice round numbers please.
  • campdave
    campdave Posts: 2,198 Forumite
    Options
    I too would like to pay more for the convenience of an arbitrary "better" number.
  • marking_bad
    Options
    It's for people who use stamps to make up numbers, at least sales of 1p and 2p stamps will increase at post offices.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,199 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I wouldn't want to pay more just for the convenience of round numbers!
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • marking_bad
    Options
    Me too, but 72p would have been better than 73p, they've done that on purpose
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,199 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Me too, but 72p would have been better than 73p, they've done that on purpose

I can't see that it makes a lot of difference. Most large sellers either print out postage or go the post office and get postage printed. Small sellers probably just use the pat office, people sending parcels to friends and relatives would probably just use the post office.

The amount of people actually buying stamps and making up odd amounts must be tiny. I do sometimes and it is surprising how few stamps you need to make up some odd amounts.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Thank you OP!
    Will text the Bursar with a heads up lest confirmed. I'm not a Governor any more, but still wield a Coastco card for them if asked.
  • Goldiegirl
    Goldiegirl Posts: 8,805 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Options
    I put quite a few large letters and small parcels that'll fit in the post box - saves queueing up at the post office,

Currently I can stamp most of these items with a combination of 1st and second class stamps, with the odd 20 stamp here and there.

So this change puts a bit of a spanner in the works. I'll have to work out what 'odd' stamps I will need.

I noticed that small parcels between 1kg and 2kg has gone down a lot, so that is welcome news
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
  • campdave
    campdave Posts: 2,198 Forumite
    Options
    Officially released today:

http://www.royalmail.com/prices-2014
  • Emma_N
    Emma_N Posts: 265 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Am I correct in thinking that the cost of sending a small parcel by 2nd class mail (weight up to 2kg) will reduce from £5.60 to £3.80?
    Attempting to make £2021 in 2021
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport