Low usage Tariff

I have a property where very little Electricity and barely any Gas is used - but I do need to remain connected. I have heard of 'holiday cottage' type tariffs but seem to be going around in circles trying to find one!! I think more is charged per unit used but there is no 'standing charge'. Would be very grateful if anyone could anyone shed any light...... Many thanks in advance

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Ebico are the company of choice for those in your situation.

They have a zero standing charge and one flat rate for a gas/electricity kWh. Obviously this is a higher rate per kWh than other tariffs.
  • Yes, agreed. Definitely Ebico. AFAIAA they are now the only company to offer no standing charges. But this thread is probably the reason (don't be fooled into thinking it's Ofgem lol) why no other company now offers the same. It attracts punters who will probably lose the energy supplier money. Even though Ebico is 'not for profit' it is still a business and one does wonder just how many loss making punters it can absorb.
  • Stompa
    Stompa Posts: 8,348 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    AFAIAA they are now the only company to offer no standing charges.

For electricity there's also Green Energy:

http://www.greenenergy.uk.com/

who, for our region, appear to be about 10% cheaper than Ebico. Just a shame they have such an appalling website!
    Stompa
  • Many thanks. Will have alook at your suggested sites
  • I am quite a low user of both gas & electrict.
    I looked at EBICO but they worked out more expensive for me.
    First Utility came out cheapest for me.
    HTH
  • Robwiz
    Robwiz Posts: 364 Forumite
    mervyn11 wrote: »
    I am quite a low user of both gas & electrict.
    I looked at EBICO but they worked out more expensive for me.
    First Utility came out cheapest for me.
    HTH

Agreed. I put my lowish gas usage into the Which comparison and it gave:

1) daligas
    2) Zog Energy
    3) Better Energy
    4) Ebico
    5) npower (I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole after they took 2 months direct debits after I moved supplier).
  • Cardew
    Robwiz wrote: »
    Agreed. I put my lowish gas usage into the Which comparison and it gave:

1) daligas
    2) Zog Energy
    3) Better Energy
    4) Ebico
    5) npower (I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole after they took 2 months direct debits after I moved supplier).

That total depends on your low usage - which could be high compared to a holiday cottage.
  • Robwiz
    Robwiz Posts: 364 Forumite
    Cardew wrote: »
    That total depends on your low usage - which could be high compared to a holiday cottage.

That's irrelevant – the important point is that it's better to check actual kWh usage numbers on a comparison site rather than accept recommendations made here without knowing the actual usage.

The OP didn't say they had a holiday cottage, just that they were looking for a holiday cottage type tariff.
  • Cardew
    The OP required a tariff with no standing charge and for a property where very little Electricity and barely any Gas is used

Obviously 'very little' and 'barely any' need to be quantified and checked on a comparison website; but I believe Ebico is the only firm now that offer a no standing charge tariff.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure