🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Tesco's Canvas Photo Centre Refused a Refund Help and advice please

Options
Hello,
I hope someone could kindly help me with a problem I have had with Tescos Photo Centre
I purchased a very large Canvas Print on-line on the 12 of Feb for £79.50. I picked the picture up from the Local store on the 21st after not receiving any notification to tell me it was even ready and having to go online to find out what was going on with it.
When I got it home I found that when it had been printed a print flaw (black line) that was going along the bottom of the picture near the fold but clearly visible. The line is about 12 inches long.
I phoned up Tescos this morning and the lady on the phone was more than helpful and apologetic said she would sort another picture for me that I could collect next Friday. She said the team dealing with Canvas prints would not commence the order until Monday when the staff were in. I went to the Tescos Photo centre web site about an hour later to find that they were now offering Half price on all canvas' and my picture would be £39.75. I phone up tescos and said to them as there was a flaw with my picture and the order had been resubmitted can I have my picture at the value it is to purchase now. The guy on the phone told me he could only give me a 20% discount. I said ok can I have a refund then as I am not happy with the picture and I will re submitted the order. He refused to give me a refund. I then asked to speak to his manager who offered me a 25% discount which again I said was not acceptable and asked once more for a refund. He refused to give me a refund saying that I had agreed this morning to another print being made and had committed to to this and so I was not eligible for a refund. I then said to him I will collect the new print next week and instantly ask for a refund as I was not happy. He stated I would not get a refund.

I may be mistaken but I am sure Tesco has no right to refuse me a refund. I'm fuming about this. I thought I was well within my rights to change my mind. Especially if I am not happy and the product was flawed?????

Anyones help and advice is kindly and sincerely appreciated thank you

Comments

• notanewuser
    notanewuser Posts: 8,499 Forumite
    Options
    Owookie wrote: »
    Hello,
    I hope someone could kindly help me with a problem I have had with Tescos Photo Centre
    I purchased a very large Canvas Print on-line on the 12 of Feb for £79.50. I picked the picture up from the Local store on the 21st after not receiving any notification to tell me it was even ready and having to go online to find out what was going on with it.
    When I got it home I found that when it had been printed a print flaw (black line) that was going along the bottom of the picture near the fold but clearly visible. The line is about 12 inches long.
    I phoned up Tescos this morning and the lady on the phone was more than helpful and apologetic said she would sort another picture for me that I could collect next Friday. She said the team dealing with Canvas prints would not commence the order until Monday when the staff were in. I went to the Tescos Photo centre web site about an hour later to find that they were now offering Half price on all canvas' and my picture would be £39.75. I phone up tescos and said to them as there was a flaw with my picture and the order had been resubmitted can I have my picture at the value it is to purchase now. The guy on the phone told me he could only give me a 20% discount. I said ok can I have a refund then as I am not happy with the picture and I will re submitted the order. He refused to give me a refund. I then asked to speak to his manager who offered me a 25% discount which again I said was not acceptable and asked once more for a refund. He refused to give me a refund saying that I had agreed this morning to another print being made and had committed to to this and so I was not eligible for a refund. I then said to him I will collect the new print next week and instantly ask for a refund as I was not happy. He stated I would not get a refund.

I may be mistaken but I am sure Tesco has no right to refuse me a refund. I'm fuming about this. I thought I was well within my rights to change my mind. Especially if I am not happy and the product was flawed?????

Anyones help and advice is kindly and sincerely appreciated thank you

This is a personalised item. You are entitled to a refund, a repair or a replacement. You are not entitled to decide which of those you get.

It obviously can't be repaired, so Tesco are perfectly within their rights to offer a replacement (cheapest option for them). You were happy to pay £70 for the item a fortnight ago. It now being on sale is nothing to do with it. Take the replacement and 25% discount - it's more than you're entitled to.
    Trying to be a man is a waste of a woman
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    This is a personalised item. You are entitled to a refund, a repair or a replacement. You are not entitled to decide which of those you get.

It obviously can't be repaired, so Tesco are perfectly within their rights to offer a replacement (cheapest option for them). You were happy to pay £70 for the item a fortnight ago. It now being on sale is nothing to do with it. Take the replacement and 25% discount - it's more than you're entitled to.

OP may not be entitled to a refund under DSRs regulation 10 but under SoGA, he still has the right to outright reject under non-acceptance - a retailer cannot insist on a repair or replacement if acceptance has not yet occurred. Of course, the retailer has no obligation to resell it to him at the lower price though and if he has indeed committed to another print, that confuses matters.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • ThumbRemote
    Options

This information is completely incorrect. Personalisation has nothing to do with it. OP is entitled to reject the product for a full refund of the £70 paid.
  • POPPYOSCAR
    POPPYOSCAR Posts: 14,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Strange ,I thought Tesco operated a price match policy if you could buy it from them cheaper within 30 days?

They did this last year with a lawnmower we bought.
  • notanewuser
    Options
    This information is completely incorrect. Personalisation has nothing to do with it. OP is entitled to reject the product for a full refund of the £70 paid.

Please provide proof of this.
  • gik
    gik Posts: 1,130 Forumite
    Options

...but they paid £79.50?. Are you saying they are entitled to less than they paid?
  • ThumbRemote
    Options
    Please provide proof of this.

It's hardly complex. The Sale of Goods Act allows the rejection of goods that do not conform to contract. After goods have been accepted, then the repair/replace/refund option comes into play.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1979/54
    See section 35.
  • ThumbRemote
    Options
    gik wrote: »
    ...but they paid £79.50?. Are you saying they are entitled to less than they paid?

Apologies, quoted the £70 stated by notanewuser. They'd got everything else wrong, I should have realised that was wrong too.
  • gik
    gik Posts: 1,130 Forumite
    Options
    It's hardly complex. The Sale of Goods Act allows the rejection of goods that do not conform to contract. After goods have been accepted, then the repair/replace/refund option comes into play.

See section 35.

Even simpler £70 or £79.50?
  • notanewuser
    Options

See section 35.

Please show me the exact clause that allows a customer to reject an order, accept a replacement and then demand a refund before the replacement is produced.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family