PIN needed to delete recordings?

PIN needed to delete recordings?

My wife watches Little House on the Prairie and because I hate it with a vengeance she records them all and watches them when I am not around.

So I got shouted at from downstairs asking what the PIN was.

Since the last time I needed the PIN was about 10 years ago when my 2 year old grandson got hold of the remote control and somehow managed to change the PIN and I had to phone SKY to get it reset, I couldn't remember it off hand.

I changed it from 0000 as my grandson could press 0000 on the remote control.

Luckily I had written it down on a piece of paper which took about 10 minutes to remember where I'd put, I gave it to her.

So why on earth after 10 years does a SKY + HD box that I've only had for a year want a PIN to delete an episode of Little House on the Prairie?

Replies

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    MoneySaving Newbie
    d12345 wrote: »
    So why on earth after 10 years does a SKY + HD box that I've only had for a year want a PIN to delete an episode of Little House on the Prairie?
    Someone has set parental controls on the box (perhaps your wife didn't want you to delete her programme?) This will not have happened automatically, the default setting for parental control is "off"

Regardless, go to Parental Controls in the Menu and switch them off for everything. You won't be prompted for a PIN anymore other than for age rated Sky Movies shown during the day.
  • (perhaps your wife didn't want you to delete her programme?)

It was her that was trying to delete it.
    This will not have happened automatically, the default setting for parental control is "off"

It is only her and me in the house, no one else has touched the remote control and any grandkids that visit have their own TV and games consoles set up in a spare room.

I think we have ghosts.:eek:
  • thommythommy Forumite
    581 Posts
    This may well have happened accidentally: When a recorded programme is highlighted, you have the option of pressing the blue button to 'keep' it. Once the blue is pressed you get a circled K next to it. Try to delete it and it asks you for your PIN.....

Maybe your wife pressed the blue button accidentally? Or, um, accidentally on purpose?!
  • thommy wrote: »
    This may well have happened accidentally: When a recorded programme is highlighted, you have the option of pressing the blue button to 'keep' it. Once the blue is pressed you get a circled K next to it. Try to delete it and it asks you for your PIN.....

Maybe your wife pressed the blue button accidentally?

Never knew that.

Just asked her, that is probably what happened.:D
  • jem16jem16 Forumite
    19.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    thommy wrote: »

No it doesn't unless you have selected the Parental Controls as mentioned earlier.

I always use the Keep option and all it does it ask me to press select again to delete it. More or less an are you sure option as opposed to accidentally deleting it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    MoneySaving Newbie
    jem16 wrote: »
    I always use the Keep option and all it does it ask me to press select again to delete it.
    Yes, a PIN entry will only be prompted if the Parental Controls are activated.

"PIN protect kept programmes" has to be switched to "ON" in the Parental menu in order for a PIN to be requested when removing the "Keep" option.

Regardless of how it happened (does the OP really care?), it's a simple matter to switch off Parental Controls. Just ensure all the options are switched to "OFF"

The only OFCOM dictated use of the PIN which cannot be deactivated is the one which allows Sky to show age-rated films during the day. Anyone with Sky Movies wanting to watch 12, 15 or 18 rated films shown before the watershed will ALWAYS have to enter their PIN to view.
  • almillaralmillar Forumite
    8.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    And for reference, the PIN is the last 4 digits on your subscription card, unless you change it...
  • almillar wrote: »
    And for reference, the PIN is the last 4 digits on your subscription card, unless you change it...
    Not quite correct - if the card has ever been swapped in a card exchange then it is the last 4 digits of the first subcription card you used whether it was in that box or you have subsequently moved card to newer boxes. The PIN is stored on the viewing card and is moved over to a new card when they are exchanged.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides