IMPORTANT REMINDER: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information. If you are uploading images, please take extra care that you have redacted all personal information.

Euro Car Parks ticket

edited 21 February 2014 at 11:54AM in Parking tickets, fines & parking
12 replies 5.5K views
erzsebelerzsebel Forumite
6 Posts
edited 21 February 2014 at 11:54AM in Parking tickets, fines & parking
I expect this is a story you have heard before, but everyone I have spoken to has recommended asking on this forum. I received a ticket at an ECP after paying for one hour when I needed two (distracted by my child at the point of buying the ticket). As far as I know, the signage is clear, but I will check that today. Do I understand correctly that there is no point appealing on the grounds of mitigating circumstances (distraction!) or decency (I was doing voluntary work) - I simply need to use a template and refuse to pay?

I find the thought of receiving threatening letters stressful and I'm tempted to pay just to avoid them; but equally I can see that this is exactly how the scam works and that makes me cross.

One technical question: If I lose an appeal, do I then end up paying £70 instead of the £40?

TIA for any support/advice
Karen.

Replies

• RedxRedx Forumite
    38.1K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    this thread tells you all you need to know http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4816822

this thread tells you why you should appeal http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4835943

mitigation may work with a PPC (but rarely does)

mitigation will definitely NOT WORK at popla, so you use legal arguments instead
  • edited 21 February 2014 at 12:40PM
    The_DeepThe_Deep Forumite
    16.8K Posts
    edited 21 February 2014 at 12:40PM
    How much do you owe them? Send them that amount plus a fiver for their trouble. They will probably send it back, but it will knock back their chances of a win if they are daft enough to go to court.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • Coupon-madCoupon-mad
    108.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    The_Deep wrote: »
    How much do you owe them? Send them that amount plus a fiver for their trouble. They will probably send it back, but it will knock back their chances of a win if they are daft enough to go to court.

Well I wouldn't recommend this but if you did offer a small amount you'd have to enclose it as a cheque along with a strong challenge (otherwise you throw away your appeal deadline and POPLA. We win at POPLA so that's where you want this to go.

Erzsebel, please read the 'stickies' (important info & FAQs stuck to the top of the forum like notices) just like we tell all other newbies to do!

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=64274803

Links there in case you haven't yet found how to click to page one (see my signature, black wording tells you the place to click to get 'home' from a thread!).
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Thanks everyone, you're awesome. I'm waiting for the NTK (which is not coming to me, mwahahaha). I'll keep you posted!
  • Coupon-madCoupon-mad
    108.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    erzsebel wrote: »
    Thanks everyone, you're awesome. I'm waiting for the NTK (which is not coming to me, mwahahaha). I'll keep you posted!

That's OK as long as it's coming to your partner, etc. NOT OK if it's a company/lease/hire car (as covered on the NEWBIES sticky, this is a dodgy situation where the driver should not wait).
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Yes it is, and don't worry, I've virtually memorised the newbies threads.
  • We now have the Notice To Keeper, so I am now prepared to make an appeal and request a POPLA number. I have photographs of the signage in the car park but to be quite fair they are plainly visible and I don't think I can claim that they don't comply with the ATA code of practice. Presumably it's best just to miss this paragraph out?

The NTK states "Breach of terms and conditions: Failure to adhere to signage on site." From reading the newbie posts I think I understand correctly that this is not a legally binding thing, so can follow the template on that.

I was rather hoping it would just go away. Never mind.

Karen
  • RedxRedx Forumite
    38.1K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    just use the template as you are going to make them prove their case on all issues , its not your task to prove their case for them

so put them to the test by including everything , no matter what you think

then draft your popla appeal in notepad and include all the usual points, in order to make them prove their case, which they may not be able to do or may slip up , or both

these things never "go away" in england or wales since POFA 2012 18 months ago
  • I've submitted an appeal through their online form, using the template. Reading through the threads I see I'm not the only one losing sleep over such a ridiculously trivial matter. I don't know why it bothers me so much.

Thanks for your help!
    Karen
  • Should I expect some kind of acknowledgement after submitting my appeal to Euro Car Parks? I haven't seen anything either by email or post. How do I know it was received?
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Fans demand refunds from Leeds Festival

...after Rage Against The Machine pulls out

MSE News

The 'Ask An Expert' event

Check out last week's energy-themed Q&A with MSE's experts

MSE Forum

Free museums & galleries

Where to get your culture fix across the UK

MSE Deals