We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Vets bill.

Options
My sons greyhound, a rescue dog, shattered one of its back legs recently falling downstairs, and had to have an amputation.

However, it was found that e-coli had infected the wound requiring countless trips back and forth to the vets to have the wound cleaned up and necrosis of the tissue removed. The cost of taxis and the time involved has been very high.

E-coli could have most certainly gained access though
bad hygiene during the operation and the practise itself did not give one confidence in their abilities in fact they did not recognise that there was infection in the wound on the first return visit, which then required an early morning dash for a possible operation to give a skin graft. It was then found that further surgery was not necessary as the source of the problem was found ie infection.

It all seemed to be rather boshed.

My son wonders whether he has any come back if indeed the e-coli got in through poor hygiene, in refusing to pay the bill. Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• tomtontom
    tomtontom Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    Options
    Can he prove the source of the infection?

Does he not have insurance?
  • Fosterdog
    Fosterdog Posts: 4,948 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You would have to prove that the infection came from the vets in the first place.

Doesn't the dogs insurance cover the cost of the bill minus the excess?
  • brenda50
    brenda50 Posts: 291 Forumite
    Options
    He had not got round to insurance as the dog had to be neutered before it could be insured. It was a top racing dog.

The vets notes do not mention e-coli but my son was told by one vet that it was the result from the lab test.
  • GwylimT
    GwylimT Posts: 6,530 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Your son would have to prove that the e-coli infection came from the vets, I would think this would be difficult, if there were any other surgeries on the day it is likely one of those animals might have suffer an e-coli infection.

I would have thought an e-coli infection would be fairly high risk with a rear leg amputation due to the wounds proximity to the animals anus.
  • Fosterdog
    Fosterdog Posts: 4,948 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I've never heard of an un-neutered dog not being able to be insured before, certainly every insurance company I've eve had a policy or even quote from also insure in tact dogs.

So the results show that the dog had contracted e.coli but did it say he contracted it at the vets?
  • brenda50
    Options
    But the law stands on probability doesn't it?

The wound was not near the anus as they amputated below the socket.
  • tomtontom
    tomtontom Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    Options
    I'm no vet but Google suggests e coli lives in the intestines of animals and is usually benign, but can become a problem when the immune system is low, as it may be post operation. Hygiene is not the primary reason for such an infection.
  • brenda50
    Options
    I've never heard of an un-neutered dog not being able to be insured before

The problem was that it was high risk for theft due to its history and breeding potential.
  • Poppie68
    Poppie68 Posts: 4,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Seems like a costly process to try and 'prove' the practice is at fault, and if Google is correct even harder and more expensive, seems your sons money will be better spent on providing a good happy home for his new friend, after all any potential comp will not enhance the dogs life in anyway. Hope the dogs making a good recovery!
  • Country_Cousin
    Options
    Unfortunately infection is a risk factor in any sort of surgery (for pets or humans) and is not in itself negligent. You would have to prove the surgery was negligent in allowing the infection to occur.
    Not a simple matter by any means.
    Think this just goes to show that insurance is very important for our pets if money is an issue in getting them treated when they are ill. Hope he makes a speedy recovery.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport