We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Proof of no claims

I've recently taken out a new car insurance policy and the insurer is asking me for proof of no claims, a practice which I thought had died out long ago seeing as I don't reckon I've been asked for it for at least 4 years.

Anyway, I'm struggling with this because I honestly have no idea who my last insurer was. It was all done online so I never received any paper documents, and I must've deleted the email with the electronic documents on it because I can't find it anywhere.

Can't my new insurer just get this information from the Motor Insurance Database (which is presumably what my last four insurers have done, unless of course it was just that they trusted what I was telling them)?

Comments

• Some do just trust you, until you get to claim stage.

Insurers have to pay a per connection license fee for MID and so not all give every call centre operative access to it to find your insurer for you when youve forgotten.

Your current policy will almost certainly be on autorenewal and so you need to know who it is to tell them not to renew it. You could use AskMID but this is only going to show you the insurer and not who you bought it from. If you bought from a broker you have to inform them not to renew not the insurer as they may rebroke the business.

Check your bank/credit cards to see who you've been paying
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Some do just trust you, until you get to claim stage.

Insurers have to pay a per connection license fee for MID and so not all give every call centre operative access to it to find your insurer for you when youve forgotten.

Your current policy will almost certainly be on autorenewal and so you need to know who it is to tell them not to renew it. You could use AskMID but this is only going to show you the insurer and not who you bought it from. If you bought from a broker you have to inform them not to renew not the insurer as they may rebroke the business.

Check your bank/credit cards to see who you've been paying

and MID won't confirm the no claims bonus, it just says who the Insurer was so the current Insurer then have to make a call or write to check it
  • dacouch wrote: »
    and MID won't confirm the no claims bonus, it just says who the Insurer was so the current Insurer then have to make a call or write to check it

Correct, the OP asked why their new broker/insurer doesnt just look up who their prior insurer was for them on the MID hence commenting about the fact that not every call centre agent in every insurer and broker will be given access to it due to costs
  • Terry98
    Terry98 Posts: 1,155 Forumite
    Seventh Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I heard on Moneybox last Saturday that by the end of the year there will be a new central no claims bonus database which will make it easier for everyone to access their no claims information.
  • keith1950
    keith1950 Posts: 2,597 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Proof of no claims
    I've recently taken out a new car insurance policy and the insurer is asking me for proof of no claims, a practice which I thought had died out long ago seeing as I don't reckon I've been asked for it for at least 4 years.

Anyway, I'm struggling with this because I honestly have no idea who my last insurer was. It was all done online so I never received any paper documents, and I must've deleted the email with the electronic documents on it because I can't find it anywhere.

Can't my new insurer just get this information from the Motor Insurance Database (which is presumably what my last four insurers have done, unless of course it was just that they trusted what I was telling them)?

Hi, as already stated some insurers do not always ask when you purchase but wait until you put in a claim.

You must sort this asap , usually within 28 days of purchase, or they will recalculate the premium without any no claims discount.

It will have stated in the terms and conditions that you would have to provide this proof. Its not up to them to go out of their way for something you should be able to provide.

What would you have done if you had needed to make a claim during the last year......I bet you would have found out pretty swiftly in that situation.

Surely even if everything was online you printed off a certificate for reference if an accident occurred.

If you paid annually the best course would be to check with your bank for any outgoings 12-14 months ago and if it was monthly the bank should be able to pinpoint the insurer!!
  • Shagger
    Shagger Posts: 67 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker First Post
    keith1950 wrote: »
    It will have stated in the terms and conditions that you would have to provide this proof.

Possibly, but if so then it was well buried because I read all of the Ts & Cs that I could find.
    Its not up to them to go out of their way for something you should be able to provide.

I'd argue that it should be up to them. They make enough money. They can afford 5 minutes searching a database/making a phone call.
    What would you have done if you had needed to make a claim during the last year......I bet you would have found out pretty swiftly in that situation.

Yes, because I'd have still had the email then. I deleted the email once the policy finished.
    Surely even if everything was online you printed off a certificate for reference if an accident occurred.

I didn't see the point, as all of the documentation was safely stored on their server somewhere and I could access the email from my phone if I had to. Even if I had, once the policy finished it'd have been shredded anyway!
    If you paid annually the best course would be to check with your bank for any outgoings 12-14 months ago and if it was monthly the bank should be able to pinpoint the insurer!!

It sounds like this is my only option. I always pay in a lump sum so there'll have been a transaction for it 12-14 months ago as you say. Now I just need to remember which card I used. I've cleared and closed a couple of credit cards since then so sod's law it'll have been one of them :D
  • Terry98 wrote: »
    I heard on Moneybox last Saturday that by the end of the year there will be a new central no claims bonus database which will make it easier for everyone to access their no claims information.

Unfortunately it isnt that straightforward. A commercial organisation has built what looks a fair basic service for NCD checking and has some of the big insurers agreed to use it, though to what extent obviously isnt going to be made public any more than the use of CUE.

It'll improve things slightly but we arent going to see the end of all NCD checking or an end to the issue of 5 or more years type proofs etc
  • keith1950
    First Post Combo Breaker

Quote:
    Originally Posted by keith1950 viewpost.gif

I didn't see the point, as all of the documentation was safely stored on their server somewhere and I could access the email from my phone if I had to. Even if I had, once the policy finished it'd have been shredded anyway!

Hi, for future reference, you should always keep your renewal documents for several years so you have a "paper trail" of proof should you need to provide it.

Good luck with your search .
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by keith1950 viewpost.gif
    Its not up to them to go out of their way for something you should be able to provide.
    I'd argue that it should be up to them. They make enough money. They can afford 5 minutes searching a database/making a phone call.

And who pays for this extra time spent?

we do
  • keith1950
    First Post Combo Breaker
    They make enough money. They can afford 5 minutes searching a database/making a phone call.

That's the whole point, they don't make much money on car insurance !

Why does everyone need spoon feeding nowadays, people should take responsibility for their own actions , that's why we have ended up with a "nanny" state wasting billions on wastrels and workshy who just cant be bothered .
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 345.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 251K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 451K Spending & Discounts
  • 237.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 612.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 174.3K Life & Family
  • 251K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.