Jewellery Query

Options
Hey there forum and thanks in advance for reading/replying.

We went to an independent jewelers on Saturday to look for wedding bands. What was supposed to be a happy, joyous occasion on the pathway to our wedding day has left a bitter taste.

Partially my fault for not making no mean no, we rushed into making a decision and said yes to buying two non-matching rings. Not a pair in other words.

We paid in full, on Visa. He promised that as an extra he would re-size my fiancees engagement ring for free as part of the deal.

After having slept on it we both decided that the salesman had sold us rings (which we realise is his job) that are not only too expensive compared to what we have been looking at, but realistically outside of our budgets.

Fiancee went back to the shop this morning and after a long, heated exchange he moved on his policy of credit note only/ no refunds due to the fact that he had not given her a receipt for the re-sizing of her engagement ring.

Mine on the other finger was a different matter. He would not refund us for that, (I understand that a shop doesn't have to give a refund and that it is only a goodwill gesture) but that my only option is a credit note.

Having tried the ring on, it is too loose, so is going to need re-sizing anyway. Also it wasn't clear when I tried it on in the shop but the rings' code is engraved on the inside of the ring. We were thinking of having our initials and date engraved inside our bands but I am now wondering if this would look odd beside XNP4**-6.

Taking it back for re-sizing is going to be interesting after they 'had' words with each other.

Have I got to suck it up, or other than a credit note is there any grounds for a refund?

Sorry for such a long post, but I am upset and dis-heartened this evening, and this has proved to be somewhat cathartic!!!!

Comments

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,690 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

Having tried the ring on, it is too loose, so is going to need re-sizing anyway. Also it wasn't clear when I tried it on in the shop but the rings' code is engraved on the inside of the ring. We were thinking of having our initials and date engraved inside our bands but I am now wondering if this would look odd beside XNP4**-6.

So you tried the ring on in the shop, it fitted, but when you tried the ring on at home it was too loose?

Having a code engraved on inside of a gold ring is not unusual.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Have I got to suck it up, or other than a credit note is there any grounds for a refund?

Sadly there is no right to a refund because you have changed your mind. The jeweller doesn't have to offer a credit note either, so he is being pretty fair.
    So you tried the ring on in the shop, it fitted, but when you tried the ring on at home it was too loose?

Having a code engraved on inside of a gold ring is not unusual.

Trying numerous rings on often causes the finger to swell, so one that felt like the correct size in the shop may now be too loose.

And I've never had a ring with anything other than the hallmarks on the inside, other than ones from Tiffany where their name is also imprinted.
  • torch_light
    Options
    Thanks for taking time out to get back to me Lincroft.

In the shop I am fairly sure that he said that the ring I tried was the right size for me straight off of the shelf, but we didn't bring it home because we left the brides ring at the shop too.

I understand that the size of hands and fingers changes due to the cold and warmth but this one I managed to flick off my hand when I first tried it tonight.

Would I be able to quite the 'Not fit for purpose' part of the sales of goods act with it not being the right size, and ask for a refund without having to accept a credit note?

I am clutching at straws I know.

Again thanks for your time.
  • torch_light
    Options
    LilElvis thanks for the reply.

I was surprised by the ring, considering how much it was, having a lot number stamped inside of it.

I could take the credit note but I am never going to use it.
  • CKhalvashi
    CKhalvashi Posts: 12,062 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    The difficulty (IMO) is that it's designed to fit on a finger, it does this, therefore it's fit for purpose.

The only thing you may be able to do is ask for a free adjustment.

CK
    💙💛 💔
  • torch_light
    Options
    They will do a free re-sizing, that's not a problem.
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    LilElvis thanks for the reply.

I was surprised by the ring, considering how much it was, having a lot number stamped inside of it.

I could take the credit note but I am never going to use it.

You could use it to buy a 1st anniversary present for your new wife. Either make sure that the credit will still be valid or, to be more prudent (in case he closes) get something now and hide it.
  • torch_light
    Options
    That would be okay, but the brutal truth is that we can't afford the ring, but with the high pressure salesman, and the glittery stars in our eyes I guess we have made a mistake.

At no point in the future, baring a lottery win, can I see myself spending that kind of money anywhere.
  • torch_light
    Options
    Oh there is one other thing that I thought of, before I go and speak to them.

The original receipt was for both of the rings and the repair, but he refunded just the first ring, I suppose there is no reason that he can't refund half of the transaction is there?
  • InsideInsurance
    Options
    The problem of buying in a shop is the fact there is no statutory right of return. On the plus side you can see exactly what you are getting. Jewelry, unlike financial services, is not considered so complex that you need to be protected from yourself and hard sales.

If you've blown your budget then you dont really have anyone to blame but yourselves. You wont be the first one that does it and you wont be the last one.

As to the ring not fitting, clearly they havent altered the size between you buying it and trying it on again and so this is some change in you. They've offered to resize it for free so they're doing more than they need to.

Markings inside were there for you to see and should have been factored into your decision. Normally they can be ground out if you really dont want them just the same as you'd do with a secondhand ring that had been engraved. Both my wives engagement and wedding ring has additional markings on the inside from the manufacture/retailer but mine only has hallmarks. With all three rings there was plenty of room for our engraving to be done without interfering with what was already there
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure