SMART tv from currys

Options
hi all

I purchased a smart tv at the end of oct 2013 from currys. I have the receipt.

there are a few snags I have with the tele and paying £480 sale price I was expecting a lot better quality.

the batteries in the remote I have changed many times and still suffer from same problem.. if I turn the tv on or after watching a channel for so long. the ok doesn't work or more so the tv doesn't acknowledge the ok button to open the menu up.. every other button works but loading the main smart menu doesn't work as responsive as it should.. I may have to turn tv off, land lucky on occasion and most times wait til its ready.

another problem.. some of the apps crash/freeze then I have to turn tv off and start again.. wifi built in works but isn't good.. if watching film on Netflix it will lag a lot and always say connection lost during a film.

picture quality - poor.. - poor on channels built in freeview etc. HD channels not much better.
Netflix movies.. blurry quality you wouldn't think you was using a led smart tv.. had better picture of lcd tv!
only time pic is clear is when connected to laptop.

I aint fussy. I have tired to adjust the settings but nothing changes the poorness of the picture. added to the other faults.
I rang currys two days ago and stated problems etc. technician on the phone stated 2 options- repair or exchange.. he said he will put me thru to currys I purchased from and speak to manager..

spoke to a woman who lost her temper with me.. and she said repair only. I asked for different brand of tv.
then as I was getting no where I asked speak to manager he said as its nearly 4 months old he wont refund or exchange and the repair is only option.... this option is me being without a tv for upto 3-4 weeks.

is there anything I can do. I paid £480 for the tv in the sale from £560 and its currently priced at £469 no sale .

Comments

• unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 17 February 2014 at 7:05PM
    Options
    What is the tv specs? Or whats the make and model?

You mention picture quality but don't say if the tv is full HD or not. Likewise you mention about Netflix being blurry/lagging (blurry could be due to connection btw) but not what the built in wifi capability is.

Without those kind of details we can't really even guess whether the tv is faulty or not. And even if it is, after acceptance has occurred you can request a repair, replacement or refund - which can be partial to take into account use you have had of the item - but the retailer can refuse if disproportionately costly in comparison to another remedy.

It should be carried out at no cost and without significant inconvenience to you but personally, I cant see being without a tv for a few weeks as a significant inconvenience for most people.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • gunner172
    Options
    sorry its a HD PANASONIC VIERA TX-L39E6BW

I aint sure why it lags I expected decent picture and I have had a Samsung smart tv in the past which was clear perfect picture just feel let down by the picture and the button issue aswell as freezing and no response etc

im a full time university student who lives alone. I don't have a tv in every room. so I do think its a loss to be without a tv for so long
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 17 February 2014 at 7:43PM
    Options
    gunner172 wrote: »

I aint sure why it lags I expected decent picture and I have had a Samsung smart tv in the past which was clear perfect picture just feel let down by the picture and the button issue aswell as freezing and no response etc

im a full time university student who lives alone. I don't have a tv in every room. so I do think its a loss to be without a tv for so long

Thanks. It should be full HD according to currys website. Sorry if i'm asking obvious questions, just obviously we don't know all the ins and outs.

Are you using HMDI or scart/other connections? I found the picture on my full HD (via xbox) wasn't great with scart but with gold connection HDMI its crystal clear. Made a huge difference.

Also, what about your internet speeds? Is it a shared connection? Have you tried Ethernet to see if that solves the issue of lag?

Also it does look like that tv has excellent reviews. So a repair may well solve the issue. I don't doubt being without a tv is an inconvenience, but significantly so?
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • frugal_mike
    frugal_mike Posts: 1,687 Forumite
    Options
    gunner172 wrote: »

Where in the house is the TV relative to the router? What obstacles are there between the two? What speed is your internet connection?

Netflix will not be in HD unless you have a fast internet connection. If you think your internet connection is fast enough for HD then you may have to investigate problems with the WiFi signal. Download inSSIDer and run it on your laptop near the TV. It will tell you what quality signal you are getting from the router, and whether or not you might get any benefit from changing WiFi channel.
  • maninthestreet
    Options
    What is wrong with the picture on Freeview channels, especially the HD channels, that makes you describe is as 'poor'??
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,831 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Have a look at your tv settings, there is a setting 'vivid colour' turn it off if it is 'on' made a big difference to the quality of our picture. We bought a 50" one a few weeks ago, not happy with the pic. Turned the Vivid colour off, and its brilliantly clear and sharp.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • JessicAhh
    JessicAhh Posts: 3,903 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Have you tried contacting Panasonic directly, rather than just Currys? Sometimes the manufacturers are in a better position to replace the TV. I know you want another brand, but the Vieras I've come across have been pretty good, and about the same level as other brands at a similar price point.

Had you complained to Currys before? Four months seems a long time to use a TV that you are not happy with, and they may just think you want an upgraded telly for nothing. It may be worthwhile telling them exactly which TV it is that you would want to swap it for, offering to pay any extra costs etc
  • vyle
    vyle Posts: 2,379 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It's interesting that you say the picture quality is rubbish, because the panasonic models (E6 only lacking 400hz picture processing and higher end Hexic processing compared to its big bros) tend to be best in class for pure picture quality.

And the remote control issue....well, I work in a shop that sells the model you have, and I've not changed batteries on a panasonic since they came out in april, and my own panny has been going since july 2012 without changing battery.

Your tv is !!!!ed, my friend. Take it back.
  • SuperHan
    SuperHan Posts: 2,269 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    vyle wrote: »

Your tv is !!!!ed, my friend. Take it back.

.... for a repair, because that's all you're entitled to ;)
  • yangptangkipperbang
    Options
    I would suspect the feeds to the TV first. They don't come much better than Panasonic.....................I've got the big brother to yours - a superb set - even the cat watches it :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure