Low Carb Diets Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Pop_Up_Pirate
    Options
    I have yet to find any research that backs up what that article says. You can't violate the first law of thermodynamics, so it seems there are some factors we haven't taken into account. This subject may just not gain weight easily we simply don't know without a large group.

The thermic effect from carbs and fats is quite similar but I won't disagree on the processed food. This is defo a major problem and you are right that most of the food we try and buy is simply awful for us. But the reality is there is really nothing wrong with eating rice, potato, sweet potato etc. Natural carbohydrates are not 'fattening' because they are carbohydrates. I will never debate that low carb works just that I find it unnecessarily restrictive for people.
    Once again Fireblade, this is the LOW CARB DIETS SUPPORT THREAD.

You offer no support whatsoever.
    You offer no low carb diet advice whatsoever.

This is not a DEBATE about which diets are best. If you want to debate it, open a thread on Discussion.

The answer here is quite simple.

Don't bother posting on THIS thread if you can't do the above.
  • kah22
    kah22 Posts: 1,830 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Once again Fireblade, this is the LOW CARB DIETS SUPPORT THREAD.

You offer no support whatsoever.
    You offer no low carb diet advice whatsoever.

This is not a DEBATE about which diets are best. If you want to debate it, open a thread on Discussion.

The answer here is quite simple.

Don't bother posting on THIS thread if you can't do the above.
    While I do disagree with Fireblade's analysis of the LCHF diet I do think his opinions are pretty valid, he forces the likes of me to ask questions, dig that bit deeper, make up my mind that this is a load of old bull, just a fad or whether it is a key to weight loss management and better health

At the moment I'm pro LCHF but I will listen to the opposing arguements

Kevin
  • Pop_Up_Pirate
    Options
    kah22 wrote: »
    While I do disagree with Fireblade's analysis of the LCHF diet I do think his opinions are pretty valid, he forces the likes of me to ask questions, dig that bit deeper, make up my mind that this is a load of old bull, just a fad or whether it is a key to weight loss management and better health

At the moment I'm pro LCHF but I will listen to the opposing arguements

Kevin
    That is not what this thread is for.
    If you want to find out differing opinions of various diets or ways of life, you can ask the question in another thread or find threads that discuss it.

Fireblade continues to post why he thinks LCHF diets are a waste of time in a thread SPECIFICALLY for support on that very subject.

Liken it to this...
    Miscarriage Support Thread where everyone supports others during distressing times, but someone keeps posting how 'Mother Nature is just doing her thing' or 'That's natural selection for you'.
    Whilst those views may well be valid, they are largely irrelevant in that thread.

Fireblade is 'spamming' the thread by continuing to post anti LCHF information.
  • silverbeetle
    Options
    I have cut my daily carb intake to around 50g but I am confused how much fat I should be eating.

I have started to log my food and exercise in the app My Fitness Pal which I am finding helpful to work out the carbs but the amount of fat I am eating varies from 45g per day to 80g per day. How do I know what the right level is?

I am aiming to lose 1.5 stones.

The low carb diet does seem to suit me as I was suffering with chronic acid reflux which has almost cleared up since cutting out the carbs :j which is a bonus I wasn't expecting!
  • rainbowfairydust
    Options
    Ah...ok...my apologies. Can't have read your post properly & not aimed directly at you at all. I just get a bit jarred off with all this macro/calorie stuff in general as if you apply low carb to your way of eating-after the more restrictive 1st 2nd weeks (which is a GREAT help so you can get to know portions, etc & what is or is not low carb, approx carb counts etc) you will lose weight & find it's a great way to eat for life. If something is fiddly like working out exact calories etc its a recipe NOT to stick to it!

no worries. :) (and sorry for the yelling i am a newbie:o)
    Sleazy wrote: »
    I like RainbowFairyDust .....

RFD for president .... Ra! Ra! Ra! :j

Undergrad degree - completed 2018
    Masters degree - completed 2019
  • pamsdish
    pamsdish Posts: 2,585 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options

Fireblade is 'spamming' the thread by continuing to post anti LCHF information.
    Which is why I am totally ignoring his comments, we have all tried every diet going, low carb works for me and I am feeling fit and well.

Silver beetle your fat sounds okay to me, I eat more fats some days than others, it`s all about finding the level for you.
    Do I need it or just want it.
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 10,004 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Fireblade keeps mentioning thermodynamics. That's physics as far as I'm aware. The subject here is biology. Thermodynamics may see a calorie as a calorie, whatever the source. However in biology the body deals with differing food sources in different ways, hence not all calories are equal.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• fireblade28
    Options
    Slinky wrote: »
    Fireblade keeps mentioning thermodynamics. That's physics as far as I'm aware. The subject here is biology. Thermodynamics may see a calorie as a calorie, whatever the source. However in biology the body deals with differing food sources in different ways, hence not all calories are equal.

You are correct in that the body deals with the calories in different ways which makes it quite complicated. However if you consume less calories than you burn you lose weight. The bit that is tricky is the intake part. Some foods we absorb more energy from than others, some we use a lot of energy just digesting them. It does not however violate the physics. That just can't happen. Regardless of what diet you chose if you consume less calories than you are using you have to lose weight. If it has carbs in it or not as long as its less than you need, you lose weight.

Have a read for yourself http://www.precisionnutrition.com/problem-with-calorie-counting-calories-in
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 10,004 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    In nearly 13 years of using MSE I've never added anybody to the ignore list before, but today I've finally done it.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• fireblade28
    fireblade28 Posts: 147 Forumite
    edited 24 February 2017 at 4:13PM
    Options
    Okay I see I overstepped the mark and you won't read this but I apologise to the people on the thread. I just felt that there needed to be a good balanced scientific view and there were several aspects which needed to be understood correctly so people can make an informed decision on what diet they choose when they read the thread wanting to do a lc diet, I feel that without both sides it perpetuates a myth that carbs are horrible and people think that this is the only way you can lose weight. My fault.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback