Forum Home» House Buying, Renting & Selling

Rentify or upad - or any other recommended tenant finding sites?

New Post Advanced Search

Rentify or upad - or any other recommended tenant finding sites?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in House Buying, Renting & Selling
4 replies 3K views
twink1108twink1108 Forumite
97 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in House Buying, Renting & Selling
Hi

I am a first time landlord hoping to find my own tenant. I am just trying to find the best option with regards to costs and reliability of tenant.

Also, does anyone know what is a reasonable amount to expect a tenant to pay out for references etc.?

Thank you.

Replies

• If I was doing this I'd probably do it by word of mouth first I.e ask people you know if they know of anyone looking for a place? But then you really need to know what your doing in that instance.

I don't personally know them sites so not sure how much exposure your property will get on them tbh so can't offer any advice in relation to that..

You might want to consider getting an agent for the first 12 months, then leaving them once your up to speed.

References,credit checks etc? personally I'd only charge what it costs me.
    An opinion is just that..... An opinion
  • gordonbennetgordonbennet Forumite
    229 posts
    Eighth Anniversary
    ✭✭
    I've used upad a couple of times and really rate them. There are several companies out there who do much the same thing, so as long as they get you exposure on the main portals like Rightmove & Gumtree etc etc you probably wont see much difference.

Certainly upad have a great answering service for responding to enquiries and they forward the details via text and email for you to follow up - assuming you are going to do the viewings yourself.

As to referencing, I personally don't charge for it, but I think about £30 per person is probably fair. Any more is extortionate. Do your own referencing - don't trust someone else to vet a tenant that YOU need to trust and have a business relationship with.
    I'm not a lawyer, so this is just my opinion. Don't go acting on legal advice you get from a stranger on the internet!
  • fishpondfishpond Forumite
    1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    rentaproperty.com
    Highly recommended and cheaper than upad for at least the same level of service.
    I am a LandLord,(under review) so there!:p
  • Discount letting
    or
    upad
    or
    openrent

Referencing costs me about £25 per person. I don't pass this on to the prospective tenant..

What about an inventory - for check in and check out? Get it done by a professional inventory clerk.

Personally I don't pass this on either, but some landlords do.

All these costs are allowable against tax from your rental profit.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support