rougue dialler virus pls help!

I have recently been hit with a premium dial up virus which has landed me with a £300 BT phone bill. Both Bt and my ISP say they are not responsible for the numbers I dial and it is my responsibility. Is there any way that I can escape from having to pay this bill?

Surely BT and the ISPs have a responsibility to stop these premium phone lines.

Pls help

Comments

• LittleJo
    LittleJo Posts: 482 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    There was an extrmely interesting article about this in the Sunday Times supplement. Including a defence against the charges, a very detailed defence. I will ask around and see if I can getthe details.
    Jo
  • sco0ter
    sco0ter Posts: 2,476 Forumite
    I think the most you can expect now is BT not to charge thier Share of the bill. Most ISP's now have it written into thier T&C that you will take precautions to protect your own computer. As for the ISP stopping the phone lines remember a LOT of legit sources use these (Competitions, Phone ins, TV Voting programs) Its not up to BT or the ISP to decice which is legit and which is a scam.
  • LittleJo
    LittleJo Posts: 482 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Hi,
    The company that have asked BT to pay them for the time that you used after they hijacked your PC have a problem. They had no contract with you to provide a service so demanding money from you is an offence. They have provided no service that you requested, thus you owe nothing. The view could be taken that if a third party were to collect the money for them, and take their cut, they become a party to the offense.

Jeffrey Robinson is at the moment 'in discussion' with BT over this matter. It would be worth looking at articles he has published on this matter.

The article he wrote details his view of BT and the steps he is taking, and a very robust view it is too .

You will, I am sure have been in discussion with ICSTIS on this matter.

Jo
  • cheghead
    cheghead Posts: 849 Forumite
    YGraham wrote:
    I have recently been hit with a premium dial up virus which has landed me with a £300 BT phone bill. Both Bt and my ISP say they are not responsible for the numbers I dial and it is my responsibility. Is there any way that I can escape from having to pay this bill?

Surely BT and the ISPs have a responsibility to stop these premium phone lines.

Pls help

If you stay on dial-up you can get BT to block outgoing premium rate calls for free. Also get better PC protection. McAfee All-In-One 2005 is very good and only around £30. Also go to broadband. Thats if you can afford it now!
  • blossom30
    blossom30 Posts: 691 Forumite
    The same thing happened to me last year( July) I was conned out of £56 and Bt insisted I pay this amount and chase the fraudster who stayed in Italy. They basicly suggested I contact him with a view to receiving my money back. I was really angry with their suggestion that after a blatant fraud had been committed that I forward this crook my personal information in order to obtain my money back!!!! You should use the argument that B.t have been aware of this for years now and still insist on collecting this money on behalf of these crooks. In fact some M.P. is taking the issue up with them, that they are aiding and abetting criminals by collecting this money. The body covering the telecoms industry is not much better (a body set up by the telecom industries themselves) ICSTIS(I think thats what their called) Anyway they investigate these people who are "abusing" the premium rate numbers however it takes them at least 12 weeks!!! If you access it's website you can check the phone number to see who owns it. That's how I discovered my con man lived in Italy. Good Luck!!
  • pricefighter
    pricefighter Posts: 2,829 Forumite
    If you can get access to it have a look at Gerry Robinsons excellent article entitled (Trapped by the Web) page 44 Sunday Times Magazine 13/2/05 this will give you loads of ammunition to fight back.
    PF.
  • gigif30
    gigif30 Posts: 174 Forumite
    i know that this wont help now but you can go on the bt web site and in there somewhere there is a piece of software you can download so that if anyone tries to change your dial up number you will be told about it
  • The EASIEST way to avoid rogue diallers is to have 09 numbers barred from your phone.

Why would a moneysaver want them anyway?
  • Edinburghlass_2
    Edinburghlass_2 Posts: 32,680 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Have a read of this thread here for the free download available from BT.

This won't help you get your money back but should ensure it won't happen again.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure