new phone, stick with o2 or change?

j.e.j.
j.e.j. Posts: 9,672
Combo Breaker First Post
Forumite
I'll probably need to get a new mobile phone soon, as I think the battery's going on mine, and while I'm there I was wondering whether to choose a new operator/sim card, too. At the moment I have a PAYG with o2. I mainly use the phone for texting, and I think it costs about 12p per text.

I was wondering how o2 compare to other providers, both in terms of price and the service. (I've found o2 store staff to be quite helpful when I go in). Also, is the network coverage better with some providers than others?

Sorry for all the questions, I've had my phone for about 5 years and I've not had to change anything in that time, so I don't really know what's available now and what to look out for. I want to keep the Pay As You Go rather than take out a contract.

Comments

• DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    j.e.j. wrote: »
    I'll probably need to get a new mobile phone soon, as I think the battery's going on mine, and while I'm there I was wondering whether to choose a new operator/sim card, too. At the moment I have a PAYG with o2. I mainly use the phone for texting, and I think it costs about 12p per text.

I was wondering how o2 compare to other providers, both in terms of price and the service. (I've found o2 store staff to be quite helpful when I go in). Also, is the network coverage better with some providers than others?

Sorry for all the questions, I've had my phone for about 5 years and I've not had to change anything in that time, so I don't really know what's available now and what to look out for. I want to keep the Pay As You Go rather than take out a contract.

So the query really is what phone you should perhaps go for?
    There is a big thread going on about O2 price increases although it is for contract, it could span to PAYG, I was with Orange from almost day 1 for 13 years + and then after all the invisible price rises, I switched to O2 and have not had to look back, however coverage and service will largely depend on where you are located, eg in certain parts of Wyre Forest , only Orange will work, as you know you have a large array of handsets to choose from, especially as you are doing the wiser move to buy the handset outright.
  • j.e.j.
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    If I remember rightly the handsets come with certain providers? Mind you I last bought a phone back in 2009 so it may be very different now!

It was the providers I was after feedback for, (O2, Orange, 3, EE, etc) but if anyone knows of a decent basic phone I'm all ears, too. I guess I would go for a basic handset, either Nokia (who seem very good, so far!) or maybe a samsung. I'll take a look in Phones4U and see what they've got.
  • pepdavies
    pepdavies Posts: 444 Forumite
    Most of the providers do a bundle of unlimited texts or several thousand for about £5 now. I'm with Three and they charge tuppence a text if you don't need that many. I would look at giffgaff or tesco if you're happy with O2's coverage.
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 31 January 2014 at 8:46PM
    j.e.j. wrote: »
    If I remember rightly the handsets come with certain providers?
    Not necessarily. There are sim-free handsets as well or PAYG with a sim that, however, can be used on any network with other sims.
    It was the providers I was after feedback for, (O2, Orange, 3, EE, etc) but if anyone knows of a decent basic phone I'm all ears, too. I guess I would go for a basic handset, either Nokia (who seem very good, so far!) or maybe a samsung. I'll take a look in Phones4U and see what they've got.
    If you are happy with the current provider, there is no point in experimenting. Just decide what phone you want and ask here about the best way of getting it. And, please, don't buy/sign anything at P4U or any other shop without asking here first. They see you coming.

Are you sure you want a new phone instead of just replacing the battery?
  • j.e.j.
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    grumbler wrote: »
    And, please, don't buy/sign anything at P4U or any other shop without asking here first. They see you coming.

:rotfl: maybe, but they soon figure out I'm brassic, and am just after a basic phone with no bells and whistles, so they tend not to give me the sales pitch too much. Well they didn't last time anyway.
    Are you sure you want a new phone instead of just replacing the battery?

The one I've got's an oldie (Nokia 2630) I'd not thought about replacing the battery, to be honest. It might be an option, - not sure how much batteries cost as opposed to the cost of a new phone.
  • busybird
    busybird Posts: 46
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Whichever you go for, if it's a contract phone, make sure you are happy with the provider's coverage in your area. I am attempting to resolve issues with Orange relating to signal and they refuse to accept there is a problem. The only way my husband can receive calls in our house is to virtually hang out of the window at the front of the house, whilst I have no trouble at all with 02. He is also having lots of problems with missed calls whereby callers get a message saying 'this number is temporarily unavailable' and there is no indication on his handset that a call has been missed.
  • j.e.j.
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    busybird wrote: »
    Whichever you go for, if it's a contract phone, make sure you are happy with the provider's coverage in your area. I am attempting to resolve issues with Orange relating to signal and they refuse to accept there is a problem. The only way my husband can receive calls in our house is to virtually hang out of the window at the front of the house, whilst I have no trouble at all with 02. He is also having lots of problems with missed calls whereby callers get a message saying 'this number is temporarily unavailable' and there is no indication on his handset that a call has been missed.

Thanks, yes I find the coverage is pretty good with O2, so I wouldn't want to change to a provider where it's not as good.

I'd be after a PAYG because I honestly don't use the phone enough to justify getting a contract. I mainly use it for texting people. I suppose at a guess I send about 50 texts a month.
  • If you went for a PAYG upgrade at Carphone Warehouse on 02 then if you subsequently decided to move network your phone would be unlikely to be locked to o2.

You might consider giffgaff (who use the o2 network) as a PAYG alternative, but only after buying your replacement phone.
  • digp
    digp Posts: 2,013
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 2 February 2014 at 3:03PM
    Get yourself a Nokia 112 from Amazon Italy (as Amazon fulfill and ship it). It is double sim. Now stay with o2 or if it is cheaper for you Tesco & get a spare sim on pay as you go eg Orange and use that as the second sim with a bit of top up on it. Should suit your circumstances.

http://www.amazon.it/Nokia-112-Dual-Bianco-Italia/dp/B008MILUM4/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1391353134&sr=8-5&keywords=nokia+113

Do not buy from amazon UK.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport