Something positive about Talktalk

Options
I'm not a Talktalk employee first off. I actually had a horrible few months with them after moving to a new house.

In February last year (2013) I have availed of their 12-month half price in their Essentials package (landline and unlimited broadband) at £3.25/month which I think was advertised here at MSE. I have paid upfront the line rental of £114 for 12 months so I could save more.

In November I notified them that I'm moving house. I eventually received a new welcome pack before my new line went live and seeing that they were charging me new rates (£15.40 line rental plus £7.50 Essentials package) of course, I raised a concern with their customer service. The CSA told me repeatedly that the rates indicated at the welcome package is a generic one and that I should still be enjoying the low tariff from before. I was told that this will be reflected in my forthcoming bill. I knew that I had to confirm this because I will be bound by the new contract once I start using the broadband in the new house.

Life won't be interesting if everything just went on smoothly isn't it? So when my December bill arrived they charged me their full, undiscounted rates (£22.90/mo.) I queried this again and the CSA admitted on record that I have been mis-sold a contract by his colleague, he passed me on to their manager. It didn't go well and I ended up asking how much they'll charge me if I break my contract, he said £97!! This, even though they were the ones who messed up!

We tried contacting their Loyalty Department to ask if they could actually downgrade our contract since there's an ongoing promotion of £2.50 for Simply broadband (+£15.40 line rental) and was flatly refused since I just started my contract in December according to her, never mind that it's really February.

I started researching about how to lodge a complaint properly. I drafted a polite yet firm letter, mentioning that 'I am fully aware of my consumer rights...' and snail mailed to their HQ.

I received a phone call last week telling me that they received my letter. She started saying 'so you have a complaint regarding an increase in your tariffs'... I thought this is going nowhere so exasperated, I told her I simply want to downgrade, I know that there's a Simply broadband package for £2.50 and before I finished she said 'I can offer you an even lower one, you'll just pay £1.75.' I wasn't prepared for that tactic obviously so I only managed to reply 'Really?' And have her repeat the amount again and again so it's on record. At the end of that brief conversation, I'll end up paying £1.75/month plus £15.40 line rental or £17.15/mo. But if I pay the line rental upfront at £126 (which I did today) that would just be £12.25/mo. for 12 months which I think is a decent deal considering it's Talktalk. From a £274.80/year to £147, that's a good £127.80 for my piggy bank.

I'm happy that being polite and firm worked this time, I was really preparing myself to take them to OFT and whichever body would hear my case but thankfully I don't have to!!:j

Comments

• MataNui
    MataNui Posts: 1,075 Forumite
    Options
    Hope you recorded that conversation. I think you may find nothing will have changed and they will still bill you as before then claim the conversation never happened (or even that you never complained).
  • krmach
    krmach Posts: 37 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Thanks for the reply Matanui. We actually queried them about the recording made when I clarified my new contract in December. It turns out the customer has to demand for it quite firmly as the initial reply was 'It's not available to customers.' After some initial raising of voices, the CSA gave in and told us it can be sent to us but we have to pay £10 for it. We didn't reach this stage as we found a resolution but this is one stage of the complaint process.

I forgot to add that when anyone writes a complaint letter, the word COMPLAINT must be emphasized, liberally used in the letter.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure