Contribution JSA advice please

My friend has been out of work since September. She lives with her husband, who controls the money in their household. She knows she is not eligible for income-based JSA as they have some savings (though she doesn't know how much) but she believes she is eligible for contribution based JSA. However, the Job Centre is asking how much pension her husband receives, and her husband refuses to tell her. On those grounds, the Job Centre staff have said she is not eligible and she can't complete the online form.

Don't get me started on the topic of the inequality in their relationship as we could be here a while :mad: But is there a way out of the impasse?

Comments

• sammyjammy
    sammyjammy Posts: 7,366 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Her husbands pension or lack of it is of no consequence when claiming JSA Conts, it is based purely on whether she has paid the relevant contributions in the tax years 11/12 and 12/13. Has she actually completed a claim form? I understand she can do this online.

It maybe that she has completed a form for income based JSA in error in which case they will process her claim for both. She needs to withdraw a claim for Income based JSA in that case.

Poor woman!
    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
  • Thank you, Sammyjammy - that's how I have just read all the online info I can find. However, she says the online form is pretty intractable - as soon as she says she has a husband it wants to know info on his income (and she's sure she chose the right form). I'm going over to see her next week - I wonder whether to try going again to the Job Centre with her, she's quite easily deterred so a bit of back up might help .....
  • sniggings
    sniggings Posts: 5,281 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    sammyjammy wrote: »

It maybe that she has completed a form for income based JSA in error in which case they will process her claim for both. She needs to withdraw a claim for Income based JSA in that case.

Poor woman!

the JSA form is normally a joint contri/income based form, so after 6 months the clainmant does not have to make a new claim and can change onto income based JSA if they qualify.

OP maybe ask if they have only a JSA claim form for contribution based, and hope that the pension question is not on there.
  • sammyjammy
    sammyjammy Posts: 7,366 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    It sounds like she is completing one of the questions/sections wrongly, she could always ring up and claim by telephone.

Sam
    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
  • airliner
    airliner Posts: 112 Forumite
    Contribution-Based JSA is only ever paid at the single person rate of £71.70p/w.

As she has a husband the minimum amount the government set as a minimum income is £112.55p/w for a couple.

If he has no income they should be assessed for Income-Based JSA and they will receive £71.70p/w CBJSA + £40.85p/w IBJSA = £112.55p/w.

If they have other income then the IBJSA part of their claim may be affected.
  • von
    von Posts: 541 Forumite
    She needs to tell that she wishes to withdraw her Income-based claim and that she wants to claim Contribution-Based JSA only.
  • Thank you all - she did say she had phoned the helpline but they said that she needed her husband's details too. I think I will just go in with her and hope we can find someone helpful to speak to - though I guess that may be a bit of a long shot. I wonder if there is a contributions-based specific form ..?

Airliner - thanks, she knows she definitely isn't entitled to income based JSA because of his pension, it's contributions that's she's trying to claim.
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Pickle_Pot wrote: »
    Thank you all - she did say she had phoned the helpline but they said that she needed her husband's details too. I think I will just go in with her and hope we can find someone helpful to speak to - though I guess that may be a bit of a long shot. I wonder if there is a contributions-based specific form ..?

Airliner - thanks, she knows she definitely isn't entitled to income based JSA because of his pension, it's contributions that's she's trying to claim.

I have never filled in an online form (perhaps someone else who has can help more specifically) and can't access one without giving away specific personal information - sorry)

I am guessing that is a 'one fit' form which deals with both contribution based JSA and income based (so that they can see if you are eligible for one/both)

If it is then I suspect that your friend is going to have to provide the information. Perhaps your friend's OH needs a reality check in that financial information needs to be shared. If your friend will have no other money then I also have to presume that her OH will need to support her financially and providing his pension details may be a small price to pay to get the JSA and 'up' their joint income.
  • Thanks LindyLoo - yes, the online form does seem to cover claims for both and I suspect that's fundamentally the problem.

He is adamant that he won't give away his private information to her or to the Job Centre staff - he supports her as far as household expenses/running the house is concerned, pays the bills, gives her money to buy food.
  • He won't give his wife information she needs?

He's being very controlling. It probably won't get any better. Does she really want to put up with this?

Are there any children?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport