Real-life MMD: Waitress takes leftovers to give to a retirement home. Should I report

Options

Comments

• pennypinchUK
    Options
    In today's litigious world, your colleague and therefore your employer would be liable if any of the recipients of the food were to get ill. Although it's common sense, practical and thoughtful of your colleague to take the food she should be told to stop.

I understand that some supermarkets are now giving unsold food to charities, if both parties agree to a liability waiver. You may like to investigate this route. Then, it's a win-win all round.
  • husky23
    Options
    I think some people are being very unfair here.

I wouldn't want to report her because 1. it's not really my concern and 2. it's going to waste anyway. But having said that, what if you get incriminated in the process? I've worked for companies that sack for people not having reported something. Someone once stole some stationary and because the person working with her did not report it, she got sacked too.

At the end of the day you need to protect yourself as well. She's doing something she knows she shouldn't (whether it is for the right reasons or not) but if other staff are noticing then she's not being very discreet and is potentially risking other people's livelihoods as well.
  • Chickdee
    Options
    No I don't think u should report her. It would be a lot better if these companies thought more of the unfortunate and donated the leftovers to the homeless!
  • vukuk
    vukuk Posts: 18 Forumite
    Options
    ....to even think about reporting it to your boss. Unless you wish you have taken those cakes yourself but have not guts for it! Behave....Well done to the waitress!
  • Bearface13
    Options
    I don't see how anyone could reasonably object to food that was being thrown out being instead given to people who can make use of it. It's just a shame that the woman has to do it in a clandestine fashion because the sad individual who runs the company objects to it - presumably because it's his property (which it is) and so he can do what he wants with it (which legally, of course, he can - but really, how pathetic is that? When it costs him nothing and can be of benefit to needy people.) If I wwere the other waitress I certainly wouldn't tell the boss about my colleague - I just hope she doesn't get caught.
  • dwrjones87
    Options
    Hell no! There are millions of people in this world starving, so to throw perfectly good food away is bad enough, but to report somebody for not letting it go to waste is even worse.

I would be having a word with my boss about either getting them to cut down on the wastage or allowing it to be put to good use however, as they're pretty much telling people to throw their money away.
  • janiebquick
    Options
    While I don't think it is your business to report her, I do think that what she is doing could be highly dangerous. The food could potentially be infected with E Coli - a bacterium that causes gastrointestinal infections (tummy bugs). Old people are particularly susceptible to these infections, which can be fatal.
    'Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.' George Carlin
  • MistyB47
    Options
    Why would you even think of reporting her? Is it your place to snitch on work colleagues? Its not like she's selling them on is it? As if it isn't bad enough these poor old folk being in a home in the first place you now want to deprive them of a few cakes. I would be looking at yourself rather than your colleague.
  • claire1a
    claire1a Posts: 106 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    No!! Why on earth would you? Its such a petty reason too!

It's this stupid blame culture thats taken over Britain thats to blame. Common sense has been made redundant!

If businesses have food left over and it's just going to be chucked out then why the hell not donate it to those who need it?!
    No longer Debt free
    EF - £525.27/£1000 New York £0/£1500
    SCC- £3000 SL overpayment £2500 M+D - £4000
  • Robothell
    Robothell Posts: 494 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 5 February 2014 at 3:08PM
    Options
    My initial instinct is to say no, you should not report her.

I disagree with some people here when they say that there is no harm in the food going to the nursing home - those saying that are obviously unaware of food safety legislation regarding preparation and transport of food. Elderly people in nursing homes are vulnerable to foodborne infections and there are a number of cases of outbreaks of Listeriosis, Salmonella and other cases of food poisoning where the appropriate controls have not been in place . If the food is known to have come from the restaurant then their name will be dragged through the press and they'll have Environmental Health breathing down their necks through no fault of their own.

This issue is not insurmountable though. A well known sandwich chain donates its left over sandwiches etc. at the end of the day to homeless shelters with the cold chain intact. If the food has been kept adequately chilled, or doesn't require chilling, then there is no issue so long as they are wrapped in a waterproof wrapping (eg. clingfilm).

I would, however, advise my colleague to seek official permision though as it is not good practice to sneak behind your bosses' backs.
    Life in this world is, as it were, a sojourn in a cave. What can we know of reality? For all we can see of the true nature of existence is, shall we say, no more than bewildering and amusing shadows cast upon the inner wall of the cave by the unseen blinding light of absolute truth, from which we may or may not deduce some glimmer of veracity, and we as troglodyte seekers of wisdom can only lift our voices to the unseen and say humbly "Go on, do deformed rabbit again.....it's my favourite". © Terry Pratchett in "Small Gods"

Founder member of the Barry Scott Appreciation Society
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport