My lovely cat PTS

I don't know where my previous postings/thread went that I started last Sunday when I wasn't sure whether or not I needed to take my cat to the emergency vet.

By Monday she had been transferred 60 miles to the Pet Hospital in Leeds under the cardiologist.

Sadly my poor cat (Tally) didn't get any better despite the best efforts of all the vets/vet nurses. Yesterday afternoon, after speaking with her consultant vet I had to make possibly the most difficult decision (yet somehow I know the right decision) not to put her through any more and she was put to sleep.

I wasn't present as it would have been too distressing, but I know all that could have been done, was done and that she didn't suffer.

Obviously I am devastated about it. The house now seems so empty without her. Packing away her toys and feed/water bowls last night was very upsetting.

I have this morning sent a donation to the local Blue Cross Pet Rescue Centre (where Tally came from as a stray 8 years ago) but I have a huge stock of both dry and wet cat food, Iams, Purina One and 'Felix as good as it looks' pouches etc that I am not sure what to do with. I also have about 10 bags of cat litter.

I don't really want to throw it all away and was wondering if any of the pet charities etc would be interested? Or would donating it to a food bank (for those who cannot afford to feed their cats) be appropriate?

I haven't been in this situation before, so any help would be appreciated.

Kind regards

Ian

Comments

• pukkamum
    pukkamum Posts: 3,942 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    So sorry to hear about your cat, we had our dear old rosie cat pts just before xmas so I feel your pain.
    as regards the food etc do you have a local animal shelter, they are always glad for donations.
    It will get better, we recently got 2 more cats that filled her cat shaped hole in our lives, and they are a joy.
    I don't get nearly enough credit for not being a violent psychopath.
  • Polmop
    Polmop Posts: 661 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    So sorry for your loss Ian
  • Artytarty
    Artytarty Posts: 2,642 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Oh Ian! I have been looking for news from you . How very sad, we all on here, have experienced that pain which you now feel.
    I am sure any animal charity would be delighted to receive your donation of food and supplies.
    Maybe, just maybe one day you will able to offer the same loving home to another little friend in need.
    Norn Iron Club member 473
  • I'm really sorry to read of your loss. I can only imagine how you are feeling.

Would your local Blue Cross Centre not accept it? If not I would look for another local shelter who would no doubt be very grateful for your generous donation.
  • tea_lover
    tea_lover Posts: 8,261 Forumite
    So sorry to hear about Tally. That decision is the hardest one to make, but you put her first and that's all anyone can do. I'm sure any local animal charity would be very grateful for the food and litter.

Thinking of you x.
  • Mrs_Z
    Mrs_Z Posts: 1,104 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    So sorry to hear, me too was looking for an update. Sometimes the right decisions are the hardest. But it's take comfort of the fact that you did the best you could and by the sounds of it, she had a very good home with you - and what cat would not be happy with that???When we had to have our 2nd cat PTS back in August, we had lots of special diet food left over. I e-mailed 3 rescue centres of which 2 said 'no' but the one she came from were very pleased to take the food.
  • Such sad news, I am sorry for your loss.
    My advice would be to wait a week or so, and then make a trip to a local rescue with the items.
    While you are there, do have a stroll around the pens.....I am certain that some other little cat will catch your eye and be very lucky that tally trained you up so well.
    xx
  • his_missus
    his_missus Posts: 3,363 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    So sorry for your loss Ian. Take care xxx
  • joansgirl
    joansgirl Posts: 17,899 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Condolences Ian, so sad, but you did the right thing.
    floraison.gif
    Some people only exist as examples of what to avoid...
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,536 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    So sorry to hear the news. It is really so hard when this happens .... but we have all been there, bought the tee shirt and cried buckets. You have clearly done the right thing, you now need to grieve.

I would suggest that the Blue Cross will possibly not want the cat food to feed their animals- last I heard their food was donated by a major animal food manufacturer. They might however want the food for fund raising? Other than that I am sure another small local shelter would welcome it or Cats Protection?

thinking of you

Should you wish to talk to someone you can Contact the Pet Bereavement Support Service on 0800 096 6606 (UK only including northern Ireland). The support line is open from 8.30am - 8.30pm everyday. All calls are free and confidential from a landline. If calling from a mobile phone, some phone networks may charge. (part of the Blue Cross)
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks
    -Stash busting: 337 in 2022
    Stash busting: in 2023. 120 doggy duvets, 24 shopping bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lavender bags,36 crochet angels,9 woven bones, 1 crochet knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramid pouches = total 420...£119.50 spent- £114.50 earned= total spend £5. Total earned for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets, 24 pyramid pouches, 6 hot water bottle covers, 4 knitted beanies, 1 crochet angel= 58 £61 spent!!! already
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure