Wedding dress:light in the box

Options
Has anyone had any dealings with this company?

I have 'bought' dresses for my daughters to wear to my wedding from here and they have sent me an email asking me to send them a picture of my payment card showing only my cardholder name strip and the last four digits of the card number and also a photo of my driving license/passport for ID?

Seems a bit much???

Just wondering if anyone has had any dealings with them and if they are actually reliable

Sorry if this is in the wrong place
No more unnecessary toiletries Feb 2014 INS: 24 UU: 13. Mar 2014. INS: lost count, naughty step for me! UU: 8

Comments

• Horace
    Horace Posts: 14,426 Forumite
    Options
    Avoid like the plague. Loads of folks complained about Light in the Box over on the Wedding Forum quite a while ago. Their quality is dreadful.

Never take photocopies of your card and provide security numbers and details of your passport over an unsecure site.

Try looking at places like Monsoon etc - shops that you can physically go to and look at and buy dresses.
  • Stephb1986_2
    Options
    Try BHS they have a massive wedding sale on at the moment with 25% off and free delivery.

Hope this helps

Steph
  • sjprmc01
    sjprmc01 Posts: 917 Forumite
    Options
    I've trawled everywhere I couldn't find what I wanted :(.

Where is the wedding forum? I can't seem to find it

Thanks
    No more unnecessary toiletries Feb 2014 INS: 24 UU: 13. Mar 2014. INS: lost count, naughty step for me! UU: 8
  • Upsidedown_Bear
    Options
    sjprmc01 wrote: »
    I've trawled everywhere I couldn't find what I wanted :(.

Where is the wedding forum? I can't seem to find it

Thanks
    Here :)

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=142
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm ordered from them three times, including a wedding dress that was perfect, but have never been asked for this information. I have found them very professional and even if some people might have not been happy with their products, they are a legitimate company.

Asking for these details doesn't sound right at all and I expect it is people passing as this company. They have contact details available on their website, check if it is the same email. Do not respond to this request.
  • Bluejeanbaby
    Options
    I'm not sure why they would need those kind if details from you? Does seem a little odd. I'd be inclined to find the number or email address from the website (don't just respond to the email you have received in case it is not legitimate) and ask why they need those things from you.
  • beautiful_ravens
    Options
    Beware! Ive never been asked those things.
    ''A moment's thinking is an hour in words.'' -Thomas Hood
  • ska_lover
    ska_lover Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    avoid like the plague
    The opposite of what you know...is also true
  • sjprmc01
    sjprmc01 Posts: 917 Forumite
    Options
    The email itself doesn't ask for those things the email gives me a link to the 'ticket' they opened on the site relating to my order and asking for this.

I told them I was not willing to provide this info and have cancelled my order. So all I need to do is wait in the hope that I see my money back :/.

They do seem to be a legitimate company and I can see there's been mixed reviews but when they start asking stuff like that, I'm not willing to take the risk.

It's a shame as these Chinese companies seem to be the only place you can find something nice that isn't a ridiculous amount of money (I had ordered 3 x dresses for my daughters, which were all more expensive than the dress I got for myself still!)
  • Horace
    Horace Posts: 14,426 Forumite
    Options
    There are loads of places to look for dresses - Monsoon, Debenhams, BHS, House of Fraser, etc. etc.

Try bridal shops too because they often have dresses suitable for bridesmaids etc.

If they asked for your card details and didn't provide them then surely they would not be able to charge you?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure