Fitted blinds quote - venetian

Hi

Had a quote today from a reputable local blind and curtain shop and was hoping for feedback

Timbercraft ventetian blinds , apparently the best you can get..priced on the woodcraft range

4 windows of the bay window area £636 inc fitting and 5 year guarantee

sizes are 23" across and 53" drop for each segment of bay window

He promises 10% off if i go with this quote

Please tell me if this is along the right lines , its too pricey for us i think which is a shame as fitted blinds would have been spot on

Cheers
Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

Comments

• Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,153 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    That's a reasonable price, bordering on expensive for the size of the blinds involved.

You can have your own wood venetian blinds made to order online, and fit them yourself.

e.g http://www.directblinds.co.uk/wooden-blinds/
  • Dan-Dan
    Dan-Dan Posts: 5,272 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Cornucopia wrote: »
    That's a reasonable price, bordering on expensive for the size of the blinds involved.

You can have your own wood venetian blinds made to order online, and fit them yourself.

e.g http://www.directblinds.co.uk/wooden-blinds/

Thank you , i appreciate your opinion

I would love to fit my own but i just dont think i would do a good job , i am happy to fit the sliding doors and standard kitchen window blins we have in mind , but the bay window scares me to be honest
    Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.
  • Dan-Dan
    wow , something similar (though i cannot see who makes them) is about £160 !!! maybe i need to LEARN!!!

http://www.directblinds.co.uk/wooden-blinds/nile-50-pecan/
  • Cornucopia
    edited 28 January 2014 at 4:00PM
    I've done about a dozen of these made to measure blinds. As long as you measure accurately, they are no more difficult to fit than a standard blind that you might pick up from Ikea, or wherever.

How about asking for a fitting-only quote from a local tradesperson?
    Dan-Dan wrote: »
    wow , something similar (though i cannot see who makes them) is about £160

Yeah - they are good VFM.
  • Dan-Dan
    Cornucopia wrote: »
    I've done about a dozen of these made to measure blinds. As long as you measure accurately, they are no more difficult to fit than a standard blind that you might pick up from Ikea, or wherever.

How about asking for a fitting-only quote from a local tradesperson?

Yeah - they are good VFM.

Well , i was going to go home and show my wife the quote , but i cant do that if i know i can buy them for the money i mentioned online , because she will make me fit them and/or get some help fitting them , and £600 at present is pushing our budget to the limit for doing the house up

thanks for you advice !
  • Dan-Dan
    one thing that worrys me though is i have seen things on the net showing how to measure angled bay windows using A4 paper etc , whats that all about?
    our bay is sliglty rounded though , not angled but still.....dont wnat to get it wrong
  • Cornucopia
    Not sure - I've never done a bay window.

You could call the blind company call centre and ask for measuring advice. I'd imagine the principle is that you need to accommodate the rectangular footprint of the blind header into the space as neatly as possible, whilst getting the blind to hang so it doesn't foul the window handles.
  • cattie
    cattie Posts: 8,841 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    You could buy ready made ones for the sizes you want & fit them yourself. It would cost you a fraction of the price.

Or find a handyman to fit them for you. This is what I did. Think of the money you'd save to put towards other things you need for your new home!
    The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
  • Clive_Woody
    Clive_Woody Posts: 5,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Ask a handyman to measure up for you and fit, you order online.
    "We act as though comfort and luxury are the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us happy is something to be enthusiastic about” – Albert Einstein
  • theEnd
    theEnd Posts: 851 Forumite
    Let me know how you get on. Interested in something similar and not sure which route to go down. Got a few other things to sort out first.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure