PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Hey.... Lets keep Chickens..!

Options

Comments

• Gigervamp
    Gigervamp Posts: 6,583 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Oh no, I'm so sorry. :( It's horrible when that happens.
  • skipton
    skipton Posts: 676 Forumite
    Options
    Syman wrote: »
    Last night, my three girls became victims to the local foxes. Very sad,

Oh Syman that is awful. I'm really sorry to hear that.

Will you be getting any more?
  • Syman
    Syman Posts: 2,617 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks Gigervamp and skipton. Not very nice to come home to, but it's the natural way of things i suppose. will register with the BHWT to get some more soon. going to strip down then rebuild the coop and run in the meantime to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    Never put off till tomorrow what you can do today!:mad:
    Cos if you do it today and like it...You can do it again tomorrow.. :p

Bookworm's Thread 2019 reading Challenge total :- 1/60
  • skipton
    edited 15 September 2013 at 4:04PM
    Options
    Hi Giger how are you? I have a friend at the local garden centre that sells Seabrights.....I always think of you when we chat about his girls. He nearly persuaded me to have some earlier this year. I'm still dithering. I have enough trouble with my hooligangs (4 white leghorns) who rule the roost.

Good to hear Syman ...Do you still have the hens at school?
  • Syman
    Syman Posts: 2,617 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes Skipton, the schoolgirls are fine. Popped in to see them earlier. So will keep my hand in as it were.
    Never put off till tomorrow what you can do today!:mad:
    Cos if you do it today and like it...You can do it again tomorrow.. :p

Bookworm's Thread 2019 reading Challenge total :- 1/60
  • 2dogs4kids
    Options
    Getting chickens soon. Have ordered a run and coop. However, I am a complete novice, my OH has had them in the past but we would like to have some advice on how to get going. What is the minimum required to make them happy. All this started as my daughter works at a stables and they had one chicken that was being bullied by the others so they separated her and need somewhere to rehome her so we have decided we will take her as we have been talking about having chooks for ages.
    All advice welcome.
  • Thriftkitten
    Options
    2dogs4kids wrote: »
    Getting chickens soon. Have ordered a run and coop. However, I am a complete novice, my OH has had them in the past but we would like to have some advice on how to get going. What is the minimum required to make them happy. All this started as my daughter works at a stables and they had one chicken that was being bullied by the others so they separated her and need somewhere to rehome her so we have decided we will take her as we have been talking about having chooks for ages.
    All advice welcome.

You shouldn't really have just one as they need company, I'd start with 3 if you can, try to observe any before you buy as there is a lot of sneezing going round and that is normally something called micoplasma, you don't want any sniffly hens. if you are on Fac*book look out for a site called the poultry pages, it's invaluable and very friendly
    Thriftkitten;)

Tesco saving stamps £13.00:T

Roadkill Rebel No.31 July2014 Treasure £1.03p :D
    August 2014
  • beautiful_ravens
    Options
    ^ I had a fox attack and was left with one hen - she started to stare at us through the kitchen window, and started wandered in the house looking for contact and chats [and treats]. They do need company.
    I have a question - I just got 5 hens from BHWT. One of them is very shy and scared, compared to the others who, after a week, are getting the hang of everything. Any suggestions? She doesnt really mix with the other hens at all, and spends a lot of time inside the coop, but I havent seen any fighting, she just runs away from everyone.

Ive had bantams in the past, they seem very different.
    ''A moment's thinking is an hour in words.'' -Thomas Hood
  • skipton
    Options
    I have four new hens and one of them is very shy. She will come over for dried mealy worms and oats as a little treat.

I lost little Lettie last week. She died during the night. She was one of my original group and her friend is so sad without her.
  • Thriftkitten
    Options
    skipton wrote: »
    I have four new hens and one of them is very shy. She will come over for dried mealy worms and oats as a little treat.

I lost little Lettie last week. She died during the night. She was one of my original group and her friend is so sad without her.

So sad when we lose our feather babies, here's to hoping her friend enjoys her new room mates.
    Thriftkitten;)

Tesco saving stamps £13.00:T

Roadkill Rebel No.31 July2014 Treasure £1.03p :D
    August 2014
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts