PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Hey.... Lets keep Chickens..!

Options

Comments

• Thriftkitten
    Thriftkitten Posts: 1,242 Forumite
    Options
    Jenny_Wren wrote: »
    Advice required please!
    I have 3 x 3 year old hens and a week and a half a go got 3 x POL chickens. I separated the run for them so they could all see/ hear each other and lifted them into the house with the others at night, putting them in their own run in the morning. For the last 4 days I have let them free range together where they mainly ignored each other apart from a bit of chasing. Yesterday I removed the wire that separated them and left them to it. But ... the new girls won't come out of the house because the old girls won't let them, apart from when I opened the door to the run and let them all out into the garden.
    One hen was being especially aggressive so I have put her in a dog crate on her own for a few days as I've read that can help.
    What more can I/ should I do? This is way harder than I expected!

I sit with a cuppa a couple of times a day armed with a water pistol for the bully...usually does the trick, as long as they don't draw blood it should sort itself out, are they all the same size hens or hens and bantams, sometimes the bantams get picked on by the big girls
    Thriftkitten;)

Tesco saving stamps £13.00:T

Roadkill Rebel No.31 July2014 Treasure £1.03p :D
    August 2014
  • Jenny_Wren_3
    Options
    It took a while but they're all ok now, the bully will still pick on the most submissive now and then but its just a quick peck to make her move. They are around the same size, two of the newbies (inc the submissive one) are leghorn hybrids so slightly smaller.
    Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards. Soreen Kierkegaard 1854.
  • k66yla
    k66yla Posts: 351 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I picked up 4 POL on Friday. A fox killed my 3 girls back in December. The garden just has'nt been the same since then, so gave the coop a spruce up and decided to try again. We've had 1 egg a day so far off one of them, many more to follow hopefully :)

1167275_10151998478169505_602740252_o.jpg
  • Gigervamp
    Gigervamp Posts: 6,583 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Looks like a sussex and a warren. What are the two black girls?
  • k66yla
    k66yla Posts: 351 Forumite
    Options
    The grey is a Mendlesham Ranger, black is a Fenning Black, white is Fenning Sussex and brown a Suffolk Blacktail. Have just eaten one of the eggs for the first time and it was a double yoker :)
  • mollythewestie
    Options
    We are just about to move to the countryside from the city, and DH is adamant that he wants to keep some chickens once we're settled. However we know nothing about chickens AT ALL.

So I was wondering if you knowledgeable lot could recommend any books on keeping chickens for absolute beginners like us?

Thanks in advance!
    Value of prizes 2010 - 2017: £8374 Wins 2022: Magic set
    Debt free thanks to MSE
  • caitybabes
    caitybabes Posts: 442 Forumite
    Options
    Congrats on the new girls k66yla!

Mollythewestie, before we got our chickens, I read two books: Backyard chickens and other poultry, and the Green Guides book Keeping Chickens.

Found it very useful, read them both front to back within a week as I was very excited about getting chickens!
  • Syman
    Syman Posts: 2,617 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Look for the Haynes chicken keeping book(the same publisher of the car manuals)
    Also chickens as pets by Andrew Hinkinson.

Both available from Amazon.
    Never put off till tomorrow what you can do today!:mad:
    Cos if you do it today and like it...You can do it again tomorrow.. :p

Bookworm's Thread 2019 reading Challenge total :- 1/60
  • Mockingjay
    Options
    I have 6 ex bats and they are flipping adorable. I get 4 or 5 eggs a day, a lot of these end up with friends/neighbours/coworkers.

If you're tempted...get some! And ideally, get ex bats. They are so friendly and seeing them change from sad looking baldies into big ol' fluffy balls is fantastic!
    CC1 - [STRIKE]£8746[/STRIKE] £2801 71%
    :o LBM September 2012 - Current DFD Oct 14 :o
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Holidays - cat to be looked after by neighbour, dog off to the kennels, chickens to Fowlty Towers!
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2408915/Fowlty-Towers-Poultry-resort-opens-meet-boom-chicken-keeping.html
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport