MSE News: Amazon closes free delivery loophole – but you can get around it

"Amazon shoppers can no longer get free postage on goods under £10 delivered to home, but there are ways to get around it..."
Read the full story:

Amazon closes free delivery loophole – but you can get around it

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Replies

• AquamaniaAquamania Forumite
    2.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Amazon can charge what they want for delivery as far as I'm concerned.

As with any other online retailer (including the likes of ebay) if the item cost plus delivery charge makes the total cost uncompetitive, I'll go elsewhere including the local High Street if it's cheaper there. (or even a non-local High Street if after the cost of travel is taken into account still means I get the best deal)
  • jacques_chiracjacques_chirac Forumite
    2.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    None of the suggestions are really 'tricks' - just services offered by Amazon or common sense.
  • Amazon may have shot themselves in the foot with this tactic.
    The majority of items i order from them are either games or movies so the free postage is always offered.
    Yet I was needing a micro hdmi to hdmi cable the other day for my tablet to connect it to my tv, the cable was £4.99 on amazon but they wanted £3.99 for p&p, so ebay got my cash instead, with free postage!
    Now i know Amazon's return policy is excellent and customer service is there if needed.
    But i am probably not alone in looking elsewhere for free p&p, and when i can pre order the latest games for £40-£50 and get free release date delivery via royal mail tracked, there really is no reason for them to be charging.
  • zerogzerog Forumite
    2.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Or just order something more else which is more than £10 and then return it, keeping the sub-£10 item.
  • mrchrisrodenmrchrisroden Forumite
    1 Post
    Seventh Anniversary Combo Breaker
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Not sure I like the idea of people buying random cheap crap to get their orders up to £10 for free delivery. Landfills could use less of this, not more.
  • DJBensonDJBenson Forumite
    445 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    "This excludes what Amazon calls "add-on items". It won't say what these are – they appear to be cheap accessories"

Really MSE? They are hardly secret, all add-on items are clearly identified with an add-on item logo...
  • EctophileEctophile Forumite
    6.1K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    zerog wrote: »
    Or just order something more else which is more than £10 and then return it, keeping the sub-£10 item.

If you do that too often, they will close your account.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • zerogzerog Forumite
    2.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ectophile wrote: »
    If you do that too often, they will close your account.

This is correct, which is why I have several accounts (new account each time I move house)
  • mattytunmattytun Forumite
    13.9K Posts
    Rampant Recycler Xmas Saver! Savvy Shopper! Energy Saving Champion
    With the recent change to Amazon's shipping policy, it's sometimes useful to find a small value add-on item to bump up your order to 10 pounds in order to qualify for free shipping.

Amazon of course does not make searching for these items easy.

Fillerchecker is a site where you can search for those small value items. You can specify the amount and also the department.

I've tried it once or twice. It seems to work. smile.gif

Fillerchecker UK

Fillerchecker USA
    Can't sleep, quit counting sheep and talk directly to the shepherd :cool:
  • Butterfly_BrainButterfly_Brain Forumite
    8.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped! Post of the Month
    ✭✭✭✭
    I and a lot of others that I know are boycotting Amazon this year mainly because of the way they treat their staff, tax dodging and now this.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides