A company is searching for my wife concerning the estate of her estranged father...

When my wife was a small child her mother died and she was adopted by an aunt and uncle rather than being left with her abusive, alcoholic father.

My wife has heard (through a third party) that her biological father died last year and that there is a company looking for her because she is named in his will.

She has suffered years of mental health problems because of her biological father's abuse. She wants closure on his life and isn't expecting anything from his estate.

Is she protected from any debt he left behind if she allows herself to be contacted by this company? Are there any other potential pitfalls - financially, emotionally or otherwise?

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• cte1111
    cte1111 Posts: 7,390 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    If she was legally adopted by her aunt and uncle, then she will not be entitled to anything from her biological father's estate. I would suggest letting the company know, then they can search for other heirs.
  • RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,644 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 20 January 2014 at 6:44PM
    Hi

This does rather depend.

If the estate is intestate and your wife was legally adopted (full court process) then she is not entitled to anything from the estate.

If however her father have left something to her despite her being adopted or the adoption was informal, then she may be eligible.

CH - are you in England, Wales, Scotland as the law is different.

The English bono vacantia listing of intestate estates https://www.gov.uk/unclaimed-estates-bona-vacantia.
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • Cte1111, is correct in saying she cannot inherit as a child of the deceased, as an official adoption removes her right to inherit. However if she is a named heir in a will then I cannot see why she couldn't receive an inheritance.

I guess it depends if the people looking for her are seeking to find legal heirs for the deceased or are executes of a will made by the deceased?

As far I understand though, your wife cannot be forced to pay debts. If there are more debts than the value of the estate.
  • Do keep up people ;-)
    there is a company looking for her because she is named in his will
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    No debt will pass to her. Just any cash specified in the will if that cash exists still.
  • Are there any other potential pitfalls - financially, emotionally or otherwise?

Hopefully the mention in the will will be of a positive nature, whether that be in the form of cash, an explanation, an apology, etc. but it could equally be negative. It may well be worth your while initially getting your wife's written consent to contact the company and act on her behalf.
  • RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,644 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    because she is named in his will.

In which case, check out the Probate Registry and obtain a copy of the to locate the executor or administrator?

If your wife wants what she has been left, then she can have it.

If she does not want it, then she can always donate it to charity. I used to sign over cheques my father sent to Womens' Aid or the NSPCC.
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • Wonderful responses! Thanks guys! I am going through them with my wife right now.

X
  • Oh - it should all be dealt with under English law. Thanks.
  • duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Good luck OP I hope it goes well for your wife.
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family