The Great 'Cheap Ways To Get In Shape For Summer' Hunt

1235»

Comments

• Tuesday
    Tuesday Posts: 54 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Get paid for getting fit!
    Yes. You read it right. I actually get paid to get fit - I have a paper round and deliver the local free paper. One round takes 2 of us an hour a week to deliver (plus time sorting out the leaflets). It isn't really strenuous and it's improved my fitness. I only took it on because my 12 yr old son wanted a job and they have to be 13yrs old for a paper round. 18mths later the pair of us now have TWO paper rounds. His half pays for his mobile and I put mine away and save up for holidays. I cannot recommend it enough.
  • andipandi_2
    andipandi_2 Posts: 474 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    yoga is excellent exercise and its good for the mind also,trying walking at a good pace(you need to sweat a bit) or swimming is excellent and no impact on your joints and stuff
    don't get mad do yoga

• claire1847
    claire1847 Posts: 60 Forumite
    ooo - I'd avoid the meal replacement things - one of my best friends was not well after 4 months on one of them, very thin hair, weak nails, dreadful skin, v tired etc, AND put all the weight back on. She spoke to a dietician afterwards as she tried to get it all back together again and he said it was something he saw often. Please go carefully on those things ok. xx Claire
    £3k back from Natwest:beer:, approx 29% saved on major debts due to Martin's tarting advice and LOTS more (inc weight loss too! ... Martin's a Marvel:j Long healthy good life, great times, and happiness :rotfl: x
  • arcana wrote: »
    Try the first two weeks of the South Beach Diet: give up all wheat, carbs (pasta, rice, potatoes), fruit (high in natural sugars) and chocolate for just 14 days, then reintroduce them gradually (don't pig out on day 15!). I lost a stone. For these two weeks you feast on proteins (lean meat, chicken, turkey, fish) with lots of vegetables/salads, and low-fat dairy products. Buy the South Beach Diet by Arthur Agatson - contains lots of recipes to try, and I didn't feel hungry once. You also save money (no mid-morning lattes & croissants for two weeks) so the cost of the book is far outweighed (no pun intended) by what you save on stodge.
    Good luck!

How long did it take you to loose a stone? I'm a veggie, but would still be ok to do this diet plan without the meat and fish.

Kitty - please go more into detail about the exercises for the stomach area and the "saddle bags" thanks :)
  • https://www.sharemyroutes.com is a great way to see others that have had a route for others to try also you are able to add your own
  • yoga - FAB - kids bought me a DVD called AM/PM yoga for my birthday and I have been a lot calmer and more flexible since! just 15 mins in the morning (I rarely get to do the evening one), and the day is far more 'zen' ha ha x
    £3k back from Natwest:beer:, approx 29% saved on major debts due to Martin's tarting advice and LOTS more (inc weight loss too! ... Martin's a Marvel:j Long healthy good life, great times, and happiness :rotfl: x
  • meames_2
    meames_2 Posts: 747 Forumite
    Hi, I'm sorry you had a bad time at WW. I used to to be a WW leader so just to let you know about a couple of things. To legally have offers on free registration WW has to charge full reg fees a certain nunber of weeks of the year, this can usually be got around by printing the coupn as you did for those weeks.

Not all meetings offer tea or coffee depending on the venue, if they do offer it it is either the venue has a basic charge or the leader would have to provide the teabags, milk etc out of her own pocket, so there is usually a basic charge for that, anthing left over i know most leaders donate to a charity (20p aint bad considering a vending machine for about 50p!)

There are occsionally offers where you can sit in on a meeting without joining, however the leader can't weigh you unless you have joined because you have to read and sign the medical information before she can do so (i.e are you diabetic, pregnant etc). Nor can she give you the guide as this is what the registration fee actually pays for.

You should recieve a leaflet and you could ask for a tracker (food chart) every week (rthat may have changed because they ae so easy to lose). In a meeting it is usually 1/2 hour weighing and 1/2 an hour meeting. During the weigh in time you can ask some questions but time is obviously limited. The idea is you pay the weekly fee for the meeting time not the weigh in. This time is for you to chat with the leader, and other people in the same boat who may have some great tips on what they did. If you have a problem someone in that group may just give you an idea how to change things for you. Yes, they discuss some of the products they sell, they have been developed specifically with people following the WW diet in mind and they help and do work. It might just be that one product turns your diet around. (For me its was a toss up between the scales and the cookbooks and I loved my bonus buddy).

When you join, the leader hopes that you have committed to staying at Ww till you reach your goal. You sign up for as long as you need. Obviously people have holidays and these are accounted for (2 weeks in every six months). As an ex member (all leaders have to have lost weight with WW) I know how easy it is not to bother going to the meeting and making excuses not to go if you have had a bad week. Therefore they charge missed weeks to keep you on track. Just like a gym - you still pay your membership fee even if you never set foot through the door, but unlike a gym you get holiday weeks that they don't give you! It is in the terms and conditions, they can't give you that member record for data protection but if you went into a meeting and read the back of the new member cards it would be inthere. A lot of leaders also have signs up stating this and it is in your new member booklet (or it was a year ago). They also should tell you in the new meber time at the end of each meeting.

I hope this answers a few queries for you, and again I'm sorry you had a bad experience. Customer service are always happy to listen to any queries you have about the terms and conditions and it is a free phone number.

It is the best method, promotes healthy eating, don't deny yourself treats

imtight wrote: »
    :confused: Joined weight watchers last week. Look up the site and print out the coupon for free joining fee. supposedly saves you £9 or £7.50 pensioners. Mind you when I got there I found out that there is always an offer on. weekly fees are £4.50 or £4.25 for over 60's. you are charged 20p for a cardboard cup of nasty coffee which you have to make yourself. I asked if I could stay for the first evening without joining to see if I thought it was suitable for me, but was told no I had to join on arrival. They give you lots of booklets and a chart to record your weekly food intake. Seems a lot to pay for being weighed each week, not much else happens in the hour that you are there, a lot of it is taken up waiting for each member to be weighed, a raffle and talk of other money making ideas. If you need to ask any advice you do it while you are being weighed or telephone. You could photocopy the food chart and then weigh yourself each week, but the terms and conditions I signed, I was not allowed to take a copy home with me they say they keep that. Apparently you are allowed two weeks 'holiday' in other words, if you don't turn up without booking it as holiday, you are liable for the £4.50. I would like to look again at the terms and conditions I signed. The lady who was running it was very vague when I asked how long I had signed up for, only saying that she would telephone me if I didn't turn up one week without being on 'holiday', and would be liable for the £4.25. Not very satisfactory in my opinion.
  • meames_2
    meames_2 Posts: 747 Forumite
    Hi, I'm sorry you had a bad time at WW. I used to to be a WW leader so just to let you know about a couple of things. To legally have offers on free registration WW has to charge full reg fees a certain nunber of weeks of the year, this can usually be got around by printing the coupn as you did for those weeks.

Not all meetings offer tea or coffee depending on the venue, if they do offer it it is either the venue has a basic charge or the leader would have to provide the teabags, milk etc out of her own pocket, so there is usually a basic charge for that, anthing left over i know most leaders donate to a charity (20p aint bad considering a vending machine for about 50p!)

There are occsionally offers where you can sit in on a meeting without joining, however the leader can't weigh you unless you have joined because you have to read and sign the medical information before she can do so (i.e are you diabetic, pregnant etc). Nor can she give you the guide as this is what the registration fee actually pays for.

You should recieve a leaflet and you could ask for a tracker (food chart) every week (rthat may have changed because they ae so easy to lose). In a meeting it is usually 1/2 hour weighing and 1/2 an hour meeting. During the weigh in time you can ask some questions but time is obviously limited. The idea is you pay the weekly fee for the meeting time not the weigh in. This time is for you to chat with the leader, and other people in the same boat who may have some great tips on what they did. If you have a problem someone in that group may just give you an idea how to change things for you. Yes, they discuss some of the products they sell, they have been developed specifically with people following the WW diet in mind and they help and do work. It might just be that one product turns your diet around. (For me its was a toss up between the scales and the cookbooks and I loved my bonus buddy).

When you join, the leader hopes that you have committed to staying at Ww till you reach your goal. You sign up for as long as you need. Obviously people have holidays and these are accounted for (2 weeks in every six months). As an ex member (all leaders have to have lost weight with WW) I know how easy it is not to bother going to the meeting and making excuses not to go if you have had a bad week. Therefore they charge missed weeks to keep you on track. Just like a gym - you still pay your membership fee even if you never set foot through the door, but unlike a gym you get holiday weeks that they don't give you! It is in the terms and conditions, they can't give you that member record for data protection but if you went into a meeting and read the back of the new member cards it would be inthere. A lot of leaders also have signs up stating this and it is in your new member booklet (or it was a year ago). They also should tell you in the new meber time at the end of each meeting.

I hope this answers a few queries for you, and again I'm sorry you had a bad experience. Customer service are always happy to listen to any queries you have about the terms and conditions and it is a free phone number.

It is the best method, promotes healthy eating, don't deny yourself treats

imtight wrote: »
    :confused: Joined weight watchers last week. Look up the site and print out the coupon for free joining fee. supposedly saves you £9 or £7.50 pensioners. Mind you when I got there I found out that there is always an offer on. weekly fees are £4.50 or £4.25 for over 60's. you are charged 20p for a cardboard cup of nasty coffee which you have to make yourself. I asked if I could stay for the first evening without joining to see if I thought it was suitable for me, but was told no I had to join on arrival. They give you lots of booklets and a chart to record your weekly food intake. Seems a lot to pay for being weighed each week, not much else happens in the hour that you are there, a lot of it is taken up waiting for each member to be weighed, a raffle and talk of other money making ideas. If you need to ask any advice you do it while you are being weighed or telephone. You could photocopy the food chart and then weigh yourself each week, but the terms and conditions I signed, I was not allowed to take a copy home with me they say they keep that. Apparently you are allowed two weeks 'holiday' in other words, if you don't turn up without booking it as holiday, you are liable for the £4.50. I would like to look again at the terms and conditions I signed. The lady who was running it was very vague when I asked how long I had signed up for, only saying that she would telephone me if I didn't turn up one week without being on 'holiday', and would be liable for the £4.25. Not very satisfactory in my opinion.
  • Personally, after looking around at gym membership prices, i think its a great idea to look at joining a local leisure centre!

My friends goes to Cannons (eurgh!) and pays £43 a month approx, however i checked out a few local leisure centres and am now a member in Ivybridge (South hams) - the place is absolutely great, fab gym and 2 swimming pools, free fitness classes, and you can do any of these as many times as you like a week... the cost is £29 a month. I worked out that if i jst went swimming 2 or 3 times a week it would cost me £25!

Local centres dont get considered enough me thinks :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure