The Great 'Cheap Ways To Get In Shape For Summer' Hunt

Comments

• Kitty_jc
    Kitty_jc Posts: 35 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    As a qualified fitness instructor, the best advice I can give to get fit for free is to just WALK! You don't even need to power walk. You just need to walk. And it doesn't matter how you do it. Make sure you have some suitable shoes (trainers, walking shoes, comfy flat ones), step out of your front door and keep going! get your heart rate up and keep going for at least 30 minutes, 3-5 times per week.

Make sure that you stand tall as you go and breathe evenly.

And from a dietary point of view (and the following is personal not professioal experience). Although not technically free, if you eat properly, you will feel full longer thus need to spend less money on food. I don't go in for "fad" diets at all, but the GI or GL plan is fantastic. It's scientifically based and is basically just a sensible healthy diet. The GL diet book is reasonably cheap and gives plenty of advice.

Happy Getting Fit!
  • Kitty_jc
    Kitty_jc Posts: 35 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    jjjggg wrote: »
    Take 5 minutes a day and try and do as many sit ups as you can in that time. keep your feet on the floor and your knees well bent. keep a record and try to improve your number each day, but don't kill yourself. Stop whenever you need to. Your waistline will shrink, your posture will improve and your back will get stronger.

quote]

Please don't do this: you cannot target a specific area of your body like this. You also need to work all the surrounding muscles. By just doing sits ups, it is physically impossible for your waist to shrink as you are not working the muscles in your waist. Your back will actually be weakened as you are only exercising the muscles in the front of your body so they will most likely become tighter and shorter, and as your back muscles weaken, they will become pliable and longer and you could end up with a hunch in your back.

A full set of abdominal exercises should consist of working the muscles in your stomach, the muscles on both sides of your waist and the muscles in your lower back.
  • Having sex is a great work out and it proven to boost your immune system and make you happy! (Releases loadsa chemicals)

Also sex is usually free, but can cost u a few Bacardi Breezers.
    "Sexual therapists remind us that frequent sex is a form of exercise. And feeling secure in a relationship leads to feeling happier, which could lead to greater health…and a younger look."

2 WARNINGS
    - THE ONLY SEX IS SAFE SEX
    - DON'T GET PREGNANT BECAUSE YOU WILL GET FAT

:rotfl: HAVE FUN:rotfl:
    I'm getting older, and lifes getting harder!:mad:
  • rls1973
    rls1973 Posts: 781 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Go hiking.

Walking magazines often have routes and maps in them, charity shops usually have one or two local maps for sale for under a quid. Local ramblers groups are also plentiful if you'd like a guide or to go with some more experienced folk. You don't have to pay to join the Ramblers Assoc on your first couple of trips out.

quote]

also, regarding maps/routes, a lot of local councils will send you a pack of maps containing cycle/walking routes in the area, and this should be free

(if you don't count the highway robbery that is your council tax:mad: ):D
  • Hi,

I just read the post about weightwatchers: WW do promote an excellent healthy eating plan and I have been sucessful following the plan.

What I did to avoid paying ~£20 a month:-

I got the code off the leader at the first meeting which enabled me to access the information online and joined up to that at £6.75 a month. So I can still access all the progress cards, recipes, healthy eating tips, motivation tips etc . . . without having to go to weekly meetings.

Normally if you join online it costs ~£30 a month
  • lee_c_3
    lee_c_3 Posts: 49 Forumite
    Funny this has come up. I have just started Body for Life.

I am not going to buy all the meal supliments, but just do the excercises they have online.

www.bodyforlife.com

cheers
    Lee
  • ms_piggy
    ms_piggy Posts: 42 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Pound wrote: »
    My car insurance is up for renewal, the provider I'm with wants £750! I'm seriously thinking of not renewing it and spending a few hundred quid on a good bike.

On top of the insurance, I'd save on petrol, road tax, parking, maintenance. At least a grand if I can hold out for a year.
    dont accept quote for renewal, shop around and get quote from same company as if you were a new customer. I did this with my son's car and got nearly 50% off the renewal quote with the same company.
    Then buy yourself a second hand bike!
  • Justie
    Justie Posts: 1,768 Forumite
    buy seasonal veg (and the reduced stuff in the supermarket) and make soup - there is evidence that eating the same number of calories and volume of fluid in soup form fills you up for longer than eating the same caloires and drinking the same volume of water therefore it's a good way to lose weight. There are lots of soups that work well cold too for if the weather ever gets any better.

grow your own salad leaves - can be done in a pot if you've no garden
    If you've grown it yourself you're more likely to eat it ;) plus you can pick as much or as little as you need and the rest will keep growing
    sprout your own beansprouts too

put aside the tea/coffee and fizzy drinks and drink filtered tap water (hot with a slice of lemon in a morning for a quick pick me up) - if you usually buy a latte a day you'll soon save enough for a new bikini/trunks

make the most of the good weather :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: and walk - borrow a dog if you don't have one to make it more "fun" (offer to dog sit when friends are on their holidays and you could earn money too)

get a skipping rope and skip - burns lots of calories and you can do it in a small space (although mind your lights if you try it indoors)
  • claire1847
    claire1847 Posts: 60 Forumite
    I'm with Kitty! Having found the GL / dietfreedom.co.uk info on here when they were doing the free month trial offer earlier this year I have lost almost 2 stone, and am walking as my exercise. It has been life changing for me, and I have busted a lot of really bad food habits!

As for the sex, well yes, it's GREAT exercise and the more weight I lose and the more I walk the more sexy I feel and the Other Half is VERY pleased ;o) it's all gone a bit honeymoon in our house right now!

www.dietfreedom.co.uk - not expensive for what you get, and apparently a big site revamp is underway (am a member so you get to hear about these things). On the money saving side in the latest GL book which is the GL Diet made Easy there is a 20% off voucher in the back and I'm going to be naughty and tell you it's GLDME. You're gonna want to buy the book anyway, it's good!

Also invest in a good body brush and give your whole body a brush each morning before the shower, you'll have lovely skin and tan better and it's apparently one of the best things for cellulite, give good moisturising after your shower too.

anyway that's my thoughts on looking delicious for summer - good luck everyone xx Claire
    £3k back from Natwest:beer:, approx 29% saved on major debts due to Martin's tarting advice and LOTS more (inc weight loss too! ... Martin's a Marvel:j Long healthy good life, great times, and happiness :rotfl: x
  • claire1847
    claire1847 Posts: 60 Forumite
    I'm with Kitty! Having found the GL / dietfreedom.co.uk info on here when they were doing the free month trial offer earlier this year I have lost almost 2 stone, and am walking as my exercise. It has been life changing for me, and I have busted a lot of really bad food habits!

As for the sex, well yes, it's GREAT exercise and the more weight I lose and the more I walk the more sexy I feel and the Other Half is VERY pleased ;o) it's all gone a bit honeymoon in our house right now! ;)

www.dietfreedom.co.uk - not expensive for what you get, and apparently a big site revamp is underway (am a member so you get to hear about these things). On the money saving side in the latest GL book which is the GL Diet made Easy there is a 20% off voucher in the back and I'm going to be naughty and tell you it's GLDME. You're gonna want to buy the book anyway, it's good! :T

Also invest in a good body brush and give your whole body a brush each morning before the shower, you'll have lovely skin and tan better and it's apparently one of the best things for cellulite, give good moisturising after your shower too.

anyway that's my thoughts on looking delicious for summer - good luck everyone xx Claire
    £3k back from Natwest:beer:, approx 29% saved on major debts due to Martin's tarting advice and LOTS more (inc weight loss too! ... Martin's a Marvel:j Long healthy good life, great times, and happiness :rotfl: x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure