We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Rear Spoilers
Comments
-
Not so. I amended a quote to include a modification of a rear spoiler and the premium did not increase.
It seems for the Astra it is an aesthetic option with no physical benefit. However I do wonder if it'll help the re-sale value.
My second S-Max had it, and it didn't make any difference to the driving/handling over the Titanium (over the fact it had an auto box).
Resale values I don't know, as one was Titanium, one was Titanium X Sport with more options and more fashionable colour when it came to sale time.
CK💙💛 💔0 -
If the modification (or any other fact) would not have affected the insurer's decision to accept the risk or the premium they charged, failure to disclose it would not be a ground for voiding the policy (linky). However there'd be no advantage to not declaring it either.shaun_from_Africa wrote: »Another thing to cosider is that the addition of the spoiler may well increase your motor insurance premium.
Even if it doesn't, you should still inform your insurers of the modification because if you don't and you have to claim from your insurer, they can use the non disclosure as an excuse to avoid paying out to you.0 -
legionare64 wrote: »My Audi 3.2 TT has a rear spoiler as standard ... Audi fitted these as the rear was a bit skittish without them and early cars were doing backflips on the autobahns.
They do work, but if not fitted by the manufacturer they usually look awfull and add to your insurance premium.
I thought this was to show which cars had had their suspension modified after too many crashes.
Not really helping them to be safer. Probably does nothing below 100mph.Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...0 -
front wheel drive. Rear spoiler.0
-
forgotmyname wrote: »Not really helping them to be safer. Probably does nothing below 100mph.
:beer:
I have driven long distances on foreign roads at around 140MPH+, in a 5 series BMW without a spoiler, and never felt that it was going to do a sudden backflip.0 -
Had the biplane spoilers on my XR4i in the eighties, and as far as I know they were added by Ford in order to improve stability on what was an otherwise not very good design for higher speeds. The later, faster, Cossie had of course an even larger table top jobbie, which I'm sure would have been jettisoned by the racing fraternity if they had thought it superfluous. So sometimes they work, I suppose, but really to correct a design inadequacy.
Sierra = RWD, therefore more downforce means more grip on the driven wheels.
Astra = FWD, therefore unlikely to do anything.
That said, my Mondeo is FWD and is the "Econetic" version, and that has a rear spoiler as standard, so who knows. The Mondeo handles like crap though.0 -
Sierra = RWD, therefore more downforce means more grip on the driven wheels.
Astra = FWD, therefore unlikely to do anything.
That said, my Mondeo is FWD and is the "Econetic" version, and that has a rear spoiler as standard, so who knows. The Mondeo handles like crap though.
Its apparently for aerodynamics and drag rather than handling I think.
The stupid Polo Bluemotion things had it too; the only thing it achieved was me getting annoyed with how slow it was, so ended up doing less MPG over the 2 weeks than my S-Max.
The Mondeo is far better IMO for economy, as it at least has a reasonable engine.
CK💙💛 💔0 -
Spoilers also aid the Police hugely in spotting boy racer types, ideally when combined with a bright orange or lime green paint job and an exhaust that sounds like an F16 taking off.
I suspect most add on bits of external body kit are for aesthetic reasons only and make little difference to the ride."We act as though comfort and luxury are the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us happy is something to be enthusiastic about” – Albert Einstein0 -
A spoiler relocates the area of turbulent air behind the car further back and so improves the rear stability of the car at speed. It does not provide any downforce, that is what an Aero wing does (as seen on F1 cars etc)
Lum if wings do nothing on FWD cars why do all the BTCC cars have them?
0 -
I had a Mitsubishi Lancer with a factory fitted (not optional) rear spoiler. As far as I could see its only effect was to obscure the view out of the rear window. I think it was there just for show.I used to think that good grammar is important, but now I know that good wine is importanter.0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards


