PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

homemade sausages (merged)

Options

Comments

• demented_2
    demented_2 Posts: 455 Forumite
    Options
    Hi I have had 2 attempts at making HM sausages so far and both times they have been succesfull. One thing i would like to know is how long can i keep the sausage skins for? I buy them from our local butcher who has already soaked them. They cost about £2 for quite a length. I also make a knot in the bottom and then cut the skin into a manable length. The first time i tried to twist and turn the sausages it lapsed into a sketch from The Generation Game, so now i just cut off about 24inches and tie knots. Anyway just wanted to know how long can i keep the unused skins and can they be frozen.. pheww that was long winded. Thanks :o
    20p savers club
    before joining had nothing
    joined on 19/03
    now have £40.00 saved :j :j :j
    saving to pay off debts Debts now paid off. Yeah.
    Amazon sellers club member 31
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi demented,

You should get more help with this on the Old Style board, so I'll move this thread over there.

In the meantime, have a look at these older threads:

does anyone make homemade sausages? help please!

Healthy Sausages

Pink
  • lindadykes
    lindadykes Posts: 391 Forumite
    Options
    I have bought sausage skins quite cheaply from ebay.
  • demented_2
    Options
    Hi Lindadykes, what sort of skins are they? would be interested to know.
    I got mine from the butcher and have now made 4 lots of sausages,
    pork and leek and had some raw minced beef left over so made Beef, tomato and red pepper sausages, but i still have quite a lot of skins left over and am not sure how long i can keep them in the fridge in water.I haven't got a sausage maker so used a forcing bag and it worked out well and i have seemed to have saved £69-99, as i was considering buying the Anthony worral thompson one from Argos, shan't bother now.
    demented.
    20p savers club
    joined on 19/03
  • Thistle-down
    Thistle-down Posts: 914 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    lindadykes wrote:
    I have bought sausage skins quite cheaply from ebay.

you can get the sausage filler part to fit older Kenwood Chef mincers on ebay as well. Though some are only for the newest model mincer, make sure you buy the right one to fit your particular mincer!
    :happylove
  • pickledtink
    pickledtink Posts: 593 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Nutmeg in the mix is that elusive ingredient which gives that real old fashioned sausage taste. Took me ages to track that one down so thought I'd share.
    Living on Earth can be expensive, but it does include an annual free trip around the Sun.
  • demented_2
    Options
    Nutmeg in the mix is that elusive ingredient which gives that real old fashioned sausage taste. Took me ages to track that one down so thought I'd share.
    OOOh never thought of including nutmeg, I will have to give that a go, Shame the dog can't sample any more bits of sausage as nutmeg is supposed to be a hallucinationic ( if that's a word) drug to dogs, I will now know if the OH has been slipping her a small sample. :rotfl:
    Thanks pickledtink. :T demented.
    20p savers club
    joined on 19/03
  • pickledtink
    pickledtink Posts: 593 Forumite
    Options
    demented wrote:
    OOOh never thought of including nutmeg, I will have to give that a go, Shame the dog can't sample any more bits of sausage as nutmeg is supposed to be a hallucinationic ( if that's a word) drug to dogs, I will now know if the OH has been slipping her a small sample. :rotfl:
    Thanks pickledtink. :T demented.

Welcome. * takes a bow*
    Not too much though. I add a pinch per 2-3 large sausages.
    Living on Earth can be expensive, but it does include an annual free trip around the Sun.
  • apprentice_tycoon
    Options
    For anyone just starting to make sausages this is a basic recipe of mine to build on by adding whater you fancy - each member of our family likes different variations but the recipe I make most is this basic one with a good squirt of tomato puree.

My killer tip is to have everything to hand and weighed and measured up before you start cutting the meat up, the first few attemps I was continually washing my hands as I switched from dicing the pork to getting the mincer out of the cupboard, then mincing the pork and getting the spices and crackers measured and washing my hands between each stage....what a faff, I have the whole process streamlined now with the added protection of an open freezer bag on hand for if the phone rings
  • beachbeth
    beachbeth Posts: 3,862 Forumite
    Options
    Has anyone a recipe for making homemade sausages/sausagemeat? I don't want ones with the skin on (I haven't got a sausage maker anyway!) so I just want the recipe for the meat. I sometimes find that shop bought ones disagree with me so I thought if I made my own I would know exactly what was in them. Thanks in advance.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure