Travel Money Maximiser Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• moob_2
    moob_2 Posts: 485 Forumite
    Options
    MP1 wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Do any of you know whether the rate of exchange is better out the US for US Dollars? I'm flying out next Sunday, the rates over here are falling and i havent really got much time to get all my money changed up before I fly out.

What's it like to change your GB Pounds to US Dollars out in the US? From past experience is the rate better than over here or is it worse?

(I'm going to Miami don't know if that would make a difference)

Otherwise today i might have to try and run down to the bureau(s) in Victoria it's at 1.945 at the mo which isn't too bad....

Get your dollars over here, they don't like UKP over there for some reason.

Depending on when you're travelling and where you are, there are a number of different places you can get a better rate - just read the rest of this thread.
  • MP1_2
    MP1_2 Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    thanks for that, i'll be sure to change my money before i go out there and use my nationwide credit card for big shopping purchases!

Just to let you all know, today the best rate in London is at Eurochange (Victoria - Buckingham Palace Road and basement of Thistle hotel Victoria) which is currently 1.955 (its 1.94 at thomas exchange global and change link)
  • bm4661
    bm4661 Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    You have warned that foreign banks charge for cash withdrawals. I have a Nationwide debit card but does anyone know which banks in the US charge the least to withdraw cash from an ATM.
  • moob_2
    Options
    bm4661 wrote: »
    You have warned that foreign banks charge for cash withdrawals. I have a Nationwide debit card but does anyone know which banks in the US charge the least to withdraw cash from an ATM.

I know that most banks do not charge at their ATMs, with the exception of Bank of America ATMs.

Suntrust and Citibank terminals do not charge, but avoid all the 'mobile' ATMs that you find inside some stores, they almost all charge a fee.
  • hillendale
    Options
    I go over to France on a regular basis as i am in the process of renovating a property . I require euro's each time i go around £3000 approx whats the best place to purchase euro's over the counter in the uk for a good exchange rate .I have transfered money via bank to bank in the pass as i have a french account also but need to take some euro cash to pay work men extra and the bank always charge me to transfer money into my french account and the rate is not very good either .
    all help/advice welcome
  • moob_2
    Options
    hillendale wrote: »
    I go over to France on a regular basis as i am in the process of renovating a property . I require euro's each time i go around £3000 approx whats the best place to purchase euro's over the counter in the uk for a good exchange rate .I have transfered money via bank to bank in the pass as i have a french account also but need to take some euro cash to pay work men extra and the bank always charge me to transfer money into my french account and the rate is not very good either .
    all help/advice welcome

As you do this regularly, you're best bet is the Nationwide Debit Card. I used it in France last month and got the full bank rate and no charges.
  • hillendale
    hillendale Posts: 313 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    moob wrote: »
    As you do this regularly, you're best bet is the Nationwide Debit Card. I used it in France last month and got the full bank rate and no charges.

Thanks for the info i will look into it
    regards
    :beer:
  • catokelly
    catokelly Posts: 354 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    dzug wrote: »
    They are providing you with cash (which is effectively what TCs are) from what is regarded as the equivalent of an off-network cash machine.

We are perhaps too used to most cash machines being free no matter what bank you use, otherwise this wouldn't seem so odd.

If I am making a purchase with MY money, from a different company, why should Lloyds charge me? It doesn't make any difference if I am buying a £700 TV from Argos online or buying £700 worth of US Travellers Cheques from an online bureau de change. Just an excuse to make more money!
  • marshmallowsryummy
    Options
    I have checked this twice now prior to buying euros + on both occasions have found www.bureau-de-change.net to be the most competetive and value for money site.Sorry guys but I think I may have outwitted you (apologies if I am wrong)
    As an example ,todays exchange rate for Euros is 1.4253 there is no delivery charge and (postal strikes aside,although I did get mine the next day despite one!) order before 12:30 to recieve them the next day by 5:30pm - fully insured signed for delivery.
    There may be other slightly better rates out there but most will have added delivery charges IRO £5 + thus reducing the value of your purchase.I also noticed that some of the top deals displayed involve collection in person + some only have branches in ln London - this service is avalible throughout the UK as far as I am aware ( didn't check small Islands/Highlands etc )
    Anyway ,I think I have found a little peach to share with money savers and hopefully you will agree + reap the benefits :j
  • marshmallowsryummy
    Options
    hillendale wrote: »
    all help/advice welcome
    sorry didn't see this before posting ..........bureau-de-change.net are excellent,better than M+S ,they offer free fully insured delivery guaranteed next day if ordered before 12:30 .
    As an example,todays rate for sterling to euros is 1.4253
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport