Travel Money Maximiser Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• moob_2
    moob_2 Posts: 485 Forumite
    Options
    I have checked this twice now prior to buying euros + on both occasions have found www.bureau-de-change.net to be the most competetive and value for money site.Sorry guys but I think I may have outwitted you (apologies if I am wrong)
    As an example ,todays exchange rate for Euros is 1.4253 there is no delivery charge and (postal strikes aside,although I did get mine the next day despite one!) order before 12:30 to recieve them the next day by 5:30pm - fully insured signed for delivery.
    There may be other slightly better rates out there but most will have added delivery charges IRO £5 + thus reducing the value of your purchase.I also noticed that some of the top deals displayed involve collection in person + some only have branches in ln London - this service is avalible throughout the UK as far as I am aware ( didn't check small Islands/Highlands etc )
    Anyway ,I think I have found a little peach to share with money savers and hopefully you will agree + reap the benefits :j

If you want to buy from an exchange company, yes, these are good rates.

However, when you bear in mind the bank rate for Euros is 1.47050 to the pound today, you're still better off using the Nationwide Debit Card and withdrawing the Euros when in the country.
  • marshmallowsryummy
    Options
    moob wrote: »
    If you want to buy from an exchange company, yes, these are good rates.

However, when you bear in mind the bank rate for Euros is 1.47050 to the pound today, you're still better off using the Nationwide Debit Card and withdrawing the Euros when in the country.
    sorry,am new to all this + thought it would be helpful for people to see what I had found............obviously you like your Nationwide thing which is great if you have an account.............many people don't + ANYONE can use this service unlike the Nationwide debit card.................you just burst my bubble!Hopefully the next response will be positive.....I am a nurse,nothing to do with money,hence my excitement at my find
  • moob_2
    Options
    sorry,am new to all this + thought it would be helpful for people to see what I had found............obviously you like your Nationwide thing which is great if you have an account.............many people don't + ANYONE can use this service unlike the Nationwide debit card.................you just burst my bubble!Hopefully the next response will be positive.....I am a nurse,nothing to do with money,hence my excitement at my find

Wasn't trying to burst your bubble Nursy, merely pointing out that this is the cheapest way to exchange foreign currency in keeping with the thread title.

Funnily enough, anyone can open an account with Nationwide, even if they have an exisiting account elsewhere.

For those with poor credit ratings, your post is no doubt beneficial.
  • marshmallowsryummy
    Options
    moob wrote: »
    Wasn't trying to burst your bubble Nursy, merely pointing out that this is the cheapest way to exchange foreign currency in keeping with the thread title.

Funnily enough, anyone can open an account with Nationwide, even if they have an exisiting account elsewhere.

For those with poor credit ratings, your post is no doubt beneficial.
    I get your point 'mooby' and yes its good if you want a credit card but you have to open an account first,and wish to,nothing to do with credit rating.
    Anyone reading this could use my suggesion instantly and get an excellent deal,those wishing to join the Nationwide,and I am not one of those,will I am sure,thank you for your info................I am hoping someone will thank me for mine. Good lord,if sharing info is this tough all the time I may give up now!
  • moob_2
    Options
    I get your point 'mooby' and yes its good if you want a credit card but you have to open an account first,and wish to,nothing to do with credit rating.
    Anyone reading this could use my suggesion instantly and get an excellent deal,those wishing to join the Nationwide,and I am not one of those,will I am sure,thank you for your info................I am hoping someone will thank me for mine. Good lord,if sharing info is this tough all the time I may give up now!

It's not a credit card, it's a current account.

Good luck in your quest for thanks!:beer:
  • catokelly
    catokelly Posts: 354 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have checked this twice now prior to buying euros + on both occasions have found www.bureau-de-change.net to be the most competetive and value for money site.Sorry guys but I think I may have outwitted you (apologies if I am wrong)
    As an example ,todays exchange rate for Euros is 1.4253 there is no delivery charge and (postal strikes aside,although I did get mine the next day despite one!) order before 12:30 to recieve them the next day by 5:30pm - fully insured signed for delivery.
    There may be other slightly better rates out there but most will have added delivery charges IRO £5 + thus reducing the value of your purchase.I also noticed that some of the top deals displayed involve collection in person + some only have branches in ln London - this service is avalible throughout the UK as far as I am aware ( didn't check small Islands/Highlands etc )
    Anyway ,I think I have found a little peach to share with money savers and hopefully you will agree + reap the benefits :j

Just to let you know that the above site is an affiliate site of www.onlinefx.co.uk (which is recommended on this site) so the rates are the same, the only difference is the free delivery on a debit card payment!
  • misgrace
    misgrace Posts: 1,486 Forumite
    Options

Dont give up :D its a great help, and I am always buying euros, mind you I am also buying dollars too.lol
  • MP1_2
    MP1_2 Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    Hey all, just wanted to know what exchange rate is used by Nationwide when using your Nationwide credit/debit card abroad? (in my case I want to know about US dollars)....

Do they use the actual Bank of England current base rate or their own (e.g the rate of purchasing currency from Nationwide online which is today 1.92)...

This is a bit confusing I wanna work out whether i'm better off just using my card abroad or changing more money up front over here (rate is currently 1.98 from the Victoria place...)

eek help?
  • dzug
    dzug Posts: 2,260 Forumite
    Options
    MP1 wrote: »
    Hey all, just wanted to know what exchange rate is used by Nationwide when using your Nationwide credit/debit card abroad? (in my case I want to know about US dollars)....

Do they use the actual Bank of England current base rate or their own (e.g the rate of purchasing currency from Nationwide online which is today 1.92)...

This is a bit confusing I wanna work out whether i'm better off just using my card abroad or changing more money up front over here (rate is currently 1.98 from the Victoria place...)

eek help?

The 1.92 rate is for cash in their branches or delivered to your house.

The credit card rate is a lot better. It will be better than the Victoria place - who have to load the rate a little bit, even if not very much. Nationwide choose not to.
  • moob_2
    Options
    MP1 wrote: »

eek help?

You will get the interbank rate, not a tourist exchange rate.

For example, the current interbank rate is $2.01485 = £1, which is what you'd get if you used the debit or credit card in the states today either from an ATM or purchases.

Bear in mind that if given the option, always select to pay in the foreign currency.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure