We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Can I top up my banger with this oil? HELP
Comments
-
londonTiger wrote: »I wonder who makes castrol/shell oil. Would be funny if they bought theirs from the same refinery. :rotfl:
Shell is an oil company, castrol is not. So not entirely implausible. I guess bottom line is the additives and filteration. Just because castrol sells bulk unbranded supplies to a supermarket does not mean they are using the same QC or adding the same additives.
I consider Castrol to be an oil company but I suppose it depends on what you consider an oil company to be.
The Castrol Oil Company was bought by Burmah Oil which in turn was bought by British Petroleum.
BP and Amoco (American Oil Co.) merged a good while back which is why the USA is full of BP 'gas stations'.0 -
Burmah Castrol also used to own Halfords, but what does that have to do with a 12 year old Corolla not having enough oil in the sump?0
-
Poor little car, feel sorry for a decent little car like this when subject to such abuse and neglect.0
-
Halfords has the cheapest oil deal at the moment, £10 for 4lt, its actually made by Comma.
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_1009580_langId_-1_categoryId_165581
Thanks - in the end I went for this.
£10 reserve and collect, 1 hour later I was on the store. Free fitting - and the guy showed me how to do it. Car gulped 3 litres and it's at a good level now, it was almost empty. And I have 1 litre spare!
Another MOT tomorrow, fingers crossed I haven't cooked the engine.
MR0 -
And I gulped when I read that!Car gulped 3 litres and it's at a good level now....
Oil checks weekly from now on, without fail, until you have a handle on it's usual consumption. To be honest, I'd be tempted to get a full oil change done and new oil filter with the MOT, since the 1 litre or so you had left has been doing the work of 4 litres for who knows how long, and will have been concentrated sludge.
Hopefully you've avoided major damage.... but I bet you've dramatically increased wear on a number of parts through neglect.0 -
So that 'last MOT', when they highlighted that the level was low ... was that 12 months ago?0
-
To be honest, I'd be tempted to get a full oil change done and new oil filter
It does make you wonder how long since that was last done, doesn't it?
Oil & filter aren't the only maintenance work needed, either.
When was the coolant last changed? When was the brake fluid last changed? Fuel filter? Brakes last checked? etc etc etc...0 -
Not sure about changing the oil. I think I might have kept the oil & changed the car.0
-
Anyone want to buy a 2001 Toyota Corolla Hatchback - 100 k - 12 months MOT - one careful owner?0
-
Anyone want to buy a 2001 Toyota Corolla Hatchback - 100 k - 12 months MOT - one careful owner?
It's new MOT now as of today! :-)
It's strange that a couple of things that had been highlighted one year ago have not been highlighted this time. I haven't done anything at all to the car. That is, apart from the oil top up.
"headlight adjustment" fail-retake-pass - £61 and go home.
MR0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
