Can you reclaim bank charges on a closed current account?

Options
I was wondering if anybody could help me, I used to have an old barclays account that i was constantly getting charged on due to circumstances so can i reclaim bank charges on a closed current account?
Debt free once - Back again | Current debt: £3002.96 - January 2023 | Currently repaying £50 a month - Estimated DFD Jan 2028 | Make £2023 in 2023 #51 - £33.75/£2023

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,492 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    katy_ann wrote: »
    I was wondering if anybody could help me, I used to have an old barclays account that i was constantly getting charged on due to circumstances so can i reclaim bank charges on a closed current account?

What reasons would you give as a basis of your complaint?

You cant use current financial hardship as the account is closed. You cant use unfair or unreasonable charges as the banks won that case.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • katy_ann
    katy_ann Posts: 1,088 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Hiya thanks for your reply, its more that I was stuck in a charges cycle, Id pay off a charge and then would get hit with another putting me further in the debt. Thankfully a family member loaned me the money to clear the overdraft, I was only 19 when this was all occuring and wasnt aware of reclaiming charges at all. It has only been recently, older and a little more wisdom that Im aware of it so was just questioning if its something I could still ask Barclays about :) Thanks
    Debt free once - Back again | Current debt: £3002.96 - January 2023 | Currently repaying £50 a month - Estimated DFD Jan 2028 | Make £2023 in 2023 #51 - £33.75/£2023
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure