milk in a bag!

Options

Comments

• morg_monster
    morg_monster Posts: 2,392 Forumite
    Options
    i would worry about the milk getting tainted by the fish frequently in my fridge in that open topped jug!

But a good idea. plastic milk bottles are the bane of my life although we only get through 2 pts in 5 days. I was considering buying 6pts at a time and freezing it but i just know i'd forget to get it out of the freezer and then breakfast would be ruined...
  • hartcjhart
    hartcjhart Posts: 9,463 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    they have been selling milk this way in Spain for many years
    I :love: MOJACAR
  • Moneybubbles
    Moneybubbles Posts: 136 Forumite
    Options
    I saw this in the paper today too.

MM i freeze my milk as I can't make it too the shops as and when necessary, when I started getting it from the milk man it cost loads. With having to young kids I do remember to pull it out the freezer we go through 4 pints every 1 1/2- 2 days :eek:

x
    it costs nothing to smile:D
  • tigerlily
    tigerlily Posts: 1,228 Forumite
    Options
    I used to buy goats milk about 5 years ago and it always came in bags like that....and it was direct from the farmer not via Mr T etc.
    Debt free = December 2010...as of March 2006 it is now January 2010..... as of December 2008 it is now December 2009 :j hopefully sooner!!
    :jDEBT FREE:j January 2012, took longer but I got there, all by myself, through sheer hard work and pride!
  • amandada
    amandada Posts: 1,168 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I remember this from when I was a youngster-probably about 30+years ago. The milkmen had to stop using them as the delivery boys used to chuck them onto doorsteps and they'd burst all over the place!
  • krazykidskate
    krazykidskate Posts: 1,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I can't believe she is pouring the milk into the jug!

They use these in Canada and the bag just slips into the jug where you can just cut a small corner off the top. So the jug acts more of a support for the bag than a container that needs washing constantly.
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]
    [/FONT]
  • sundin13
    sundin13 Posts: 481 Forumite
    Options
    They use these in Canada and the bag just slips into the jug where you can just cut a small corner off the top. So the jug acts more of a support for the bag than a container that needs washing constantly.

When I first went to Canada I was a little confused by the lack of milk cartons in shops....someone had to explain the bag thing to me. But a big thumbs up from me. If bottles aren't an option - then bags certainly beat those plastic cartons I see so many of going in bins.

BTW - I never had any problem with smells tainting my milk - and you'd always know if your milk was sour because the bag would get hard with the pressure from the gases the milk was giving off (highly technical explanation that!!!).

S13
  • MissBehaving
    MissBehaving Posts: 585 Forumite
    Options
    South Africa has been selling milk in Bags for over 10 years. (if not longer). It is cheaper, easier to freeze and the bags are a lot easier to dispose of than the plastic milk bottles that we have.

As another poster has already stated - there are jugs that take the milk sachet perfectly. Easy to use, and easy to clean.

Milk 'bags' have always been in the same section as the milk... never near the fish!!!!!!!!!!!!

If I had a Waitrose near me, I would certainly buy my milk like that.
    :dance: "Never save something for a special occasion. Every day in your life is a special occasion". _party_
  • prettypennies
    prettypennies Posts: 1,541 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My gran in Hereford always used to get her milk delivered in packets. I have never seen it since
    Twins, twice the laughs, twice the fun, twice the mess!:j:j
  • consumermonkey
    Options
    Many a happy caravan or Butlins holiday was made a little more amusing by these bags in the 70's. Took us a LONG time to realise you were supposed to put the bag into the jug and not the milk alone.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure