Issue with Yale Door

Options
Hello

I hope this is the right section. I ordered a door from https://www.yaledoor.com and took there 21 day installation option, 12 month interest free credit (through Barclays). This was in November. 24 hours before installation i had a call from the installer to inform me the door was faulty, installation could not take place. I was then told another date. AGAIN cancelled due to the door not being ready.

I was then assured installation on the 4th Jan. AGAIN 24 hours before the installers said that the door frame hadn't arrived.

It took ME to chase everything with Yale. After asking for some compensation i was offered a pathetic amount and told as the door was bespoke, i couldn't cancel the order.

I am still waiting for an email from the customer services manager to get the compensation in writing. This was promised yesterday but still havent had it.

Where do i stand with this? Can i cancel the order?
Oxfordmark

Home owner from Friday 26th July 2013!

Comments

• zaax
    zaax Posts: 1,910 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Door openings are of a standard size, how was the item bespoke, did someone measure it?
    Also its contact failure if a date was set and they failed they own you some money see links above
    Do you want your money back, and a bit more, search for 'money claim online' - They don't like it up 'em Captain Mainwaring
  • Bantex_2
    Bantex_2 Posts: 3,317 Forumite
    Options
    zaax wrote: »
    Door openings are of a standard size, how was the item bespoke, did someone measure it?
    Also its contact failure if a date was set and they failed they own you some money see links above
    No there not.
  • oxfordmark
    oxfordmark Posts: 458 Forumite
    Options
    zaax wrote: »

Yale Door's installers come to measure it up, they then let Yale Door know what to make.

They offered £80 for a door costing over £900
    Oxfordmark

• neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Surely it's irrelevant whether the door is bespoke or not. They are in breach of contract by not being able to install the door within the terms expressed in their contract even allowing for a reasonable time that may justify any delay.
  • shaun_from_Africa
    Options
    oxfordmark wrote: »
    and told as the door was bespoke, i couldn't cancel the order.

Where do i stand with this? Can i cancel the order?

The only time that cancellation of orders for bespoke items comes into play is if you are trying to cancel under the Distance selling regulations, something that wouldn't apply here.

You should contact the company again, and also the finance company and tell them that as the door was not fitted within the terms of the contract (21 day installation time), you wish to cancel as they have breeched Para 27 of the Sale of goods act.
    27 Duties of seller and buyer.
    It is the duty of the seller to deliver the goods,
    and of the buyer to accept and pay for them, in accordance with the terms of the contract of sale.
    http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1979/54

IMO, a weeks delay, or even two weeks might be classed as acceptable, but the original installation has not passed by well over 6 weeks and I don't think anyone would think this sort of delay is okay.
  • oxfordmark
    oxfordmark Posts: 458 Forumite
    Options
    I will lay that on to them.

As the loan is taken out through Barclays Partner Finance, do Yale Doors need to ask them to lower the loan?

Thanks
    Oxfordmark

• oxfordmark
    Options
    We gave them another go.

BUT

Door was scheduled for this morning and AGAIN it's been cancelled. The installers didnt have the brackets from Yale!!!!!

Yale open at 9. I'm going to flip!!!
    Oxfordmark

• frugal_mike
    frugal_mike Posts: 1,687 Forumite
    edited 25 January 2014 at 9:55AM
    Options
    oxfordmark wrote: »
    We gave them another go.

BUT

Door was scheduled for this morning and AGAIN it's been cancelled. The installers didnt have the brackets from Yale!!!!!

Yale open at 9. I'm going to flip!!!

Under the Distance Selling Regulations the seller has 30 days to perform their obligations unless agreed otherwise. You clearly agreed 21 days so they had even less time. If they fail to perform in the agreed time then the contract is cancelled and will be treated as if it never existed.

Note that it is irrelevant if the door is bespoke. That only exempts the door from your unconditional right to cancel within 7 working days of delivery under Regulation 10, which is not what you're doing here.

If you no longer want the door then write to them and inform that that under Regulation 19 paragraph 2 they have failed to perform their obligations under the contract and thus the contract is cancelled, and under Regulation 19 2b they now must reimburse any sum paid by you. Also copy the credit provider in and say that under Regulation 20 the credit agreement was cancelled at the point the seller failed to perform their obligations under the contract.
  • oxfordmark
    Options
    Sales manager is getting the ball rolling for the cancellation. Not beliving a thing though.

Unless they offer hundreds off!
    Oxfordmark

• pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,120 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    This isn't the company that appeared on "The sherrifs are coming" for shoddy doors that don't fit well and warp?
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure