The Giving Up/ Cutting Down alcohol support thread - number 13

Options

Comments

• Dansmam
    Dansmam Posts: 677 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yay to shaggy and:T maman. Fail for me tonight. Spent most of the day talking to staff facing downgrades - should have had a plan for avoiding the wine shop. In no position to judge but I think coq,au vin will be alcohol-free by the time it's cooked. So no need to drink it. I aim to be fruball tomorrow:T
    I have borrowed from my future self
    The banks are not our friends
  • CountingPenniesClaire
    Options
    Sorry for being MIA recently - been v busy this week - but including today I'll have totted up an extra 5 days AF. I think that puts me at 11/21 please Shaggy. Not helped by holiday, I am clearly not going to reach target this month but I am definitely managing to restrain myself to only one or two on days when I do drink - which is very important to me. Having said that I will making Mays target! Good news on the weight front.

As of yesterday total lbs lost this year is 26. Still a long way to go but I'm consistently losing weight - no diet - just balanced eating, smaller portions, exercise and an increase in general activity throughout the day.
  • arsenalbarnie
    Options
    8/21 please Shaggy.
    Total weight lost 6.5/73lbs starting yet again. Afds August 10/15. /8 Sept.
  • Chardonnay
    Chardonnay Posts: 766 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Well done on the weight loss Claire, that's brilliant! :T

21/30 please Shaggy.
  • Honey_Bear
    Honey_Bear Posts: 7,084 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 24 April 2015 at 8:53AM
    Options
    Dizzy_Imp wrote: »
    Question: if you use alcohol in cooking, does it scupper an AF day? Thinking of putting said wine into a coq au vin dinner...can someone let me know the rules on this one. If I can't claim an AFD then I might just drink it (!)

Absolutely not! The whole point of alcohol in cooking is to deepen the flavour, and the alcohol burns off - either by igniting it or by evaporation even at relatively low temperatures. My uncle, who was a marvellous cheffie type, said that the quality of the wine (or champagne) really made a difference to the finished flavour, but I'm much too MSE to put anything but plonk in spag bol. I still cook with booze, if that's of any help.
    As of yesterday total lbs lost this year is 26. Still a long way to go but I'm consistently losing weight - no diet - just balanced eating, smaller portions, exercise and an increase in general activity throughout the day.

Wow! Way to go, CPC! That's a heck of an achivement, so hugely well done. I've been meaning to say, Shaggy, that you must have all but disappeared by now because you're reporting consistent pounds lost every time you post.

I lost my appetite recently after a bit of a disaster. It was extremely useful in showing me exactly how I can lose weight without really trying, and surprise surprise, it involves not snacking on sugary or fatty foods ie, Twink Hobnobs and cheese. So I'm losing too, and am now below what was my sensible target weight, heading towards my ideal weight. I'd given myself until the end of the year for that, so if I can get there earlier that would be great but I'm not going to beat myself up. Where I am now, finally, after years and years of being classified as obese, is that I am now in the normal range on the BMI scale which I know isn't a perfect measure, but it's a quick yardstick. It's about health for me, not being beach body perfect. Those days are long gone!
    Better is good enough.
  • Barny1979
    Barny1979 Posts: 7,921 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Another early call for me, 19/23 AFDs this month, will easily smash this month's target and the next 5 months at least wil be Alcohol free, so should easily be my lowest alcohol drinking year since probably my early 20s
  • PriceySOS
    PriceySOS Posts: 814 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    14 please, Shaggy, thanks
  • Honey_Bear
    Honey_Bear Posts: 7,084 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Barny1979 wrote: »
    Another early call for me, 19/23 AFDs this month, will easily smash this month's target and the next 5 months at least wil be Alcohol free, so should easily be my lowest alcohol drinking year since probably my early 20s

Barny I wouldn't wish your health concerns on anyone, but you sound so reconciled to being AF that I have no worries about you making the five months! I hope you feel the benefits of it really soon and start to feel fabulous especially as, if memory serves me correctly, you're someone who has quite a few AF days every month normally.

23/30 please, Shaggy.
    Better is good enough.
  • Barny1979
    Barny1979 Posts: 7,921 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thank you, yeah, thinking it will be the push to lose the bit of timber I've generally always carried, will save money too :) 20/23 AFDs today :)
  • Fruball
    Fruball Posts: 5,739 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Dizzy_Imp wrote: »
    :happyhear Aww, so much lurve on here today...

17/24 for me. The open bottle of red in the fridge has stayed there!

Question: if you use alcohol in cooking, does it scupper an AF day? Thinking of putting said wine into a coq au vin dinner...can someone let me know the rules on this one. If I can't claim an AFD then I might just drink it (!)

As far as I am aware, you make your own rules here! Personally, I could consider cooking with alcohol still to be an AF day... My christmas boozy trifle, probably not as it is <loaded> with sherry and that alone can get anyone tipsy! :rotfl:

Calling in early with 1 more for me please, Shaggy. Well done with the weight loss :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure