The Giving Up/ Cutting Down alcohol support thread - number 13

Options

Comments

• fakeplastictwee
    Options
    Thank you for keeping the yearly total Shaggy! It's really great motivation. I've just calculated that I have had roughly two thirds of the days this year alcohol free. I'm quite pleased with that :)
  • Barny1979
    Barny1979 Posts: 7,921 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    14/24 AFDs today
  • Barny1979
    Barny1979 Posts: 7,921 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    How was the run Barney I am
    I'm awe of people who can manage such things.

It was very hilly!
  • CuppaTea
    CuppaTea Posts: 1,331 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    maman wrote: »
    Do they? I've never noticed.:o
    .[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Bet you've been looking now.

10/17 for me please
    Live for the moment and plan for the future
  • fakeplastictwee
    Options
    18/25 please
  • cathybird
    cathybird Posts: 13,336 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Good morning all, 16/21 for me please. :)
    In April I am taking a break from buying: Books
  • Arkers
    Arkers Posts: 1,535 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Good afternoon everyone,
    15 AFD please Shaggy.
    Arkers x

• Honey_Bear
    Honey_Bear Posts: 7,082 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Mum asked me to pick her up a bottle of wine and I had a glass of it at dinner. No harm in one glass right?

But then I thought, well, I can't count it as an AFD, so I might as well crack open the bottle in the fridge and drink it. Might as well make the most of it!

And then... I decided not to. So what that I can't count it as an AFD. I will still feel heaps better tomorrow after stopping at one glass. And it's what I've always wanted to be able to do. Drink in moderation.

Surely one glass of wine (if I can stop at that) a day is healthier than the whole binge, no drinking, binge thing that I seem to have going on.

So that's my little achievement for today.

And that's exactly what it's all about. I know reporting in helps keep me on the straight and narrow but I don't think it's the be all and end all of dealing with drinking more than we think we should. So, well done for stopping after one. It was more than I ever managed.
    CuppaTea wrote: »
    I've come up with what I think is a great idea to monitor units and intake. Ok, 4 pint milk bottles have markings on the side to indicate the pints. Why don't wine bottles have the same for for units? It would stop me guessing!!

I suppose with wine there are several variables, not the least of which is the strength. As far as I can remember wine can be anything from round about 5º to 13º so a unit wouldn't be a uniform amount across different types of wine. Plus, of course, the label only covers a relatively small part of the bottle, whereas you can mould the milk carton to show the amount used/left. Do they put the number of units contained in a bottle? I suppose the people who profit from selling the stuff would argue most people wouldn't drink a whole bottle that so there's no need - which is of course exactly why they should.

If everyone drank in moderation, which is what the booze industry says is what it wants, the booze industry would go bust within a year. Their business model and profitability relies on people drinking to excess - and they fund the 'drink aware' campaign; it's not an independant unbiased organisation so it's no good expecting them to come up with any kind of useful help. Turkeys do not vote for Christmas (although recently I've come around to thinking that an awful lot do but that's a completely different matter).

It would be useful if they put the number of units contained on the label, but as far as I can remember some show a 'per glass' thing, but that depends on the size of the glass we pour ourselves. For the last three years I was drinking I'd pour a glassful right up to about a quarter of an inch from the top if I were on my own, say, doing the washing up, so that I could tell myself I only had one glass. If other people were about I'd leave quite a bit of space at the top. The things we do to fool ourselves ....

19/31 please, Shaggy.
    Better is good enough.
  • macpep1
    macpep1 Posts: 1,749 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi All

I have not been on since the start of the month, busy getting ready for NYC & just got back on Tuesday I am busy getting caught up with stuff. I had a ball in NYC, I did drink every night…. but a big thing for me was that I didn’t drink too much, which is a major factor for me, I didn’t feel the need to drink until I passed out & couldn’t remember, not once. It has made me think why do I have to do this at home, so I havn’t had a drink since I came back so am declaring 4/14. I am away to the caravan this weekend & have a (family) festival tomorrow, there is alcohol there but I didn’t drink last year & plan on doing that this year as well, I havn’t had time to read back the thread so hope you are all well.
    :TGratitude is the best Attitude :T
    Long Term Flylady
  • Eltee12
    Eltee12 Posts: 768 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Afternoon All

10/21 for me please.

Have a good weekend, everyone

El
    2018 AFD 23/240
    2018 CCC #11 £38.40/£250
    Mortgage-free since 2013

Debt-free since Nov 2017
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories