Hewlett Packard Instant Ink

Options

Comments

• RumRat
    RumRat Posts: 4,794 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 25 September 2014 at 6:46PM
    Options
    You have to be continuously connected to HP. They monitor the usage. They are informed when the ink is running low and dispatch new ink. You must have one of the compatible printers, not just any old HP printer.....(There are only 3 of them at the moment)
    There are some FAQ's on THIS page...Should answer your questions...
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
  • lisa701
    lisa701 Posts: 414 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks. I'd looked at first but it left me with this query.

If they are monitoring the number of pages you have printed and not the levels of the ink left the scheme will only work if you can get the suggested number of prints out of one of their cartridges.

My existing printer uses the 301 cartridges as do two of the eligible printers. The standard ones suggest approx 160 - 190 pages but over the past 3 months I've been lucky to get 70 before the print quality is greatly reduced. If HP were monitoring my usage and saw I'd only printed 70 pages its unlikely they would be sending me replacements anytime soon as they believe I can print 160 - 190 pages with those cartridges.

I'm relucant to get another printer with the same cartridges only to find myself in the same scenario.
  • WLM21
    WLM21 Posts: 1,497 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    gdes wrote: »
    .. also on their uk site they state delivery is included in the monthly plan & when you go to sign up it costs almost as much again for standard delivery.

I see it as being included, so surely a phone call to HP could mean free delivery.

I was temped, but decided to go with a Samsung Laser printer instead, when my old HP one packed in.
  • PM1
    PM1 Posts: 23 Forumite
    Options
    OK, I came to this after finding that the thread about HP300 ink refilling http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2291639&page=2 was closed.

I have refilled my HP 300 cartridges quite a lot, but today (you can tell by the ink on my fingers) am having trouble getting them to work. I have four cartridges that I rotate to get around the chip ID counter. Note that this is just black cartridges. I don't fool around with the colour ones

Last week I was in Wilkinsons and I noticed that they do a 'compatible' black cartridge for £6.00, which is a lot better than the ~£15 I was paying.

I would be interested to hear if anyone has tried the Wilko ones.

PM
  • daniel_mackie
    daniel_mackie Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 22 January 2015 at 7:40PM
    Options
    I have used HP Instant Ink for a few months now and I have to say I have found it superb. I signed up, they sent me 2 ink's and only started billing me once I started using them. I have had a replacement from them and it come through fine, the inks they send are XL so you have them for a little longer than your average inks you buy online or in store. I was wary but I found them easy to use. I hope they keep it going is all I say and wouldn't go to another brand.:j
  • spud
    spud Posts: 48 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just to say I've been using instant inks since last year when I replaced an old canon printer that was costing over £100 a year in ink. Compatibles never worked that well for me either, esp for photos that I occassionally print. I signed up for the 100 pages a month that I am close to using each month though don't really monitor. So for me it's working great and will have halved my yearly spend on ink. Granted, using compatible inks would be cheaper but I've always found them a faff and lacking the quality. I would say to check out 7dayshop for compatibles as theirs were cheap and not too bad (most have reviews to help you decide).
  • Andy2013
    Andy2013 Posts: 211 Forumite
    Options
    As a small business owner I print a lot of documents work related and I use the 300 plan which works really well, if I used standard cartridges I would go through an XL every 2 weeks which for black and colour would come out at £50-60 a month, where as I pay £7.99 on HP instant ink and its delivered to my door in good time to replace it.

Its based on pages, so even a small dot would be classed as a page but a business owner in my town uses this service to print full colour A4 photos and this would cost hundreds of £££££s in ink so it all depends on what you print as to whether it works in your favour.
  • dipsomaniac
    dipsomaniac Posts: 6,739 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    the best printer decision i ever made as it takes all the grief out of buying replacement cartridges. my old printer took 4 x cartridges that averaged £15 each. they all used to empty at different times and i resented paying for them. also, you never knew if you were getting genuine cartridges or if they would arrive half full. now i don't even think about ink. the piece of mind is worth ever penny of the 1.99 i pay each month.
    "The Holy Writ of Gloucester Rugby Club demands: first, that the forwards shall win the ball; second, that the forwards shall keep the ball; and third, the backs shall buy the beer." - Doug Ibbotson
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,002 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I've been very happy with it. The cartridges arrive in plenty of time and for £1.99 a month I am paying far less than on my previous printer.

Also you get a free month at the start and a free month for using a referrer code. You can also put your code on the referrer sub board thread here:

forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5524871

and get another free month when someone uses your code.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,691 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I use the HP Instant Ink and find it cheaper & more convenient than buying online / store. However it is not without issues. Once they forgot to send my ink. I have just fitted a new black cartridge which did not work.

Their website is full of BS and difficult to get to speak with a human. HP are very difficult to contact and slow to respond
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure