EH - Keeping on track. (AKA focus Woman! FOCUS!)

Options

Comments

• Pippilongstocking
    Options
    Grins. You make me giggle with attacking body butter I hope youre ok...
    :D

Now, I know you're very Eco and wondered how you'd take my lack of kitchen roll - I just use napkins or cloths - not for everyone but I no longer buy it. And yup the carbon footprint police can argue the washing of the reusuables adds up the same as the kitchen roll but I just prefer it now. It's not a carbon thing, it's a life choice :-) and I do have a gaggle of napkins etc! (thank you greying!!)

Not a lecture or a nag or anything it's just one less thing I buy these days. And I'm currently weaning myself off cling film but that's a whole other crazy thing I'm trying....

Wondered what you use it for.

As I know EH is a kind sort and won't growl, I can ask such probing questions without her saying I'm a crazy Eco-police type person. Well she can say that but not be offended by my enquiry.
    Total debt 26/4/18 <£1925 we were getting there. :beer:
    Total debt as of 28/4/19 £7867.38:eek:
    minus 112.06 = £7755.32:money:
    :money:Sleeves up folks.:money:
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,467 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Ahhh, you've all been busy while I've been gone! :T
    mooomin wrote: »
    I didn't realise you had a diary :D

*subscribes*

I didn't....but now I have. :D Thank you!
    starnac wrote: »
    Oh dear I hope you are okay after the body butter incident??? Probably was a good idea to just give in. Who knows what might have happened if you hadn't ;)

You see, I knew it was the sensible thing to do. :T
    Grins. You make me giggle with attacking body butter I hope youre ok...
    :D

Now, I know you're very Eco and wondered how you'd take my lack of kitchen roll - I just use napkins or cloths - not for everyone but I no longer buy it. And yup the carbon footprint police can argue the washing of the reusuables adds up the same as the kitchen roll but I just prefer it now. It's not a carbon thing, it's a life choice :-) and I do have a gaggle of napkins etc! (thank you greying!!)

Not a lecture or a nag or anything it's just one less thing I buy these days. And I'm currently weaning myself off cling film but that's a whole other crazy thing I'm trying....

Wondered what you use it for.

As I know EH is a kind sort and won't growl, I can ask such probing questions without her saying I'm a crazy Eco-police type person. Well she can say that but not be offended by my enquiry.

I've tussled with myself about this one in the past - which makes it a great question, and I'd love to hear everyone elses views on this as well. I used to use it lots, but now, far less. I've got microfibre cloths a-plenty, and for general cleaning I use them. We also cut up MrEH's old workshirts, and old t-shirts for dusters, and again, use those time and time again. About the most regular thing I use kitchen roll for now is popping under dishes in the microwave when I know they're going to boil over - the other night's cannelloni was a good example of this, I popped the dish on a sheet of paper and it avoided having the microwave turntable awash with tomatoey-sauce. Other than that if something spills that I want to mop up really fast - milk or something like that, I'll grab a sheet as it absorbs faster than cloths. Oh, and I have a sheet handy if we're eating "with fingers" food like pizza, too - I can't bear sticky foody fingers - MrEH has no such qualms it won't surprise you to hear! :D

The argument about the washing having its own carbon footprint is surely only valid if you're doing a whole separate wash just for a few cloths, which I'm pretty certain you're not. I guess mostly they just go in with a regular wash, which you'd be doing anyway? I think anyone suggesting that as a valid reason for not going down the reusable route would be struggling with a pretty thin argument!

Cling film is where I'm ahead of you - haven't bought it for years! :D Very rarely I find myself thinking it would be useful to have some, but mostly I never even think about it.

You do indeed have a positive RAINBOW of napkins to use - and very beautiful they are too!

I did wander to the other T3sco this afternoon to make use of that voucher - a nice wellie-clad stomp through the muddy woods to get there too, oddly enough I got some funny looks wandering in wearing my wellies...people are strange! :D
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • Pippilongstocking
    Options
    Thanks love! Interesting stuff I'm 2 -3 months no cling film it's odd as I get twitchy but I'm still trying to do a granny instead.

Kitchen roll uses seem v sensible :-) carbon police are always at the back of my mind but you're right / if its not extra I shouldnt worry about it.

Glad the wellys got out, they do like mud!
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,467 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 18 January 2014 at 11:20PM
    Options
    Bizarrely earlier on I came across one of those rare scenarios where cling film would have been useful - thought of you Pippi! :D

Well would you believe it, I've acquired another NSD today. AND, so far as I can see, there is no good reason why I'd not be able to snare another tomorrow, astonishing! This is all after commenting on someone's blog that I never manage NSD's over weekends as a rule, so I'm rather chuffed with that. Today has also been a "No Diesel" day.

I had my "research purposes" Ready Meal for lunch - and frankly the most generous statement I can come up with about it would be "inoffensive" - nothing like as much flavour as I would have liked to expect, and there were some apparently "roasted" onions in there which quite honestly should have been roasted for a bit longer! Unimpressed. Tonights meal was far nicer, being home made pizza. Bacon, mushrooms and some of a jar of little piquant peppers that we've had in the fridge for a while, plus home-made mozzarella which I made earlier on - first time I've had a go at cheese-making and I was generally pleased with the result.

So sad to hear the news about the little lad in Edinburgh, and that his mother was taken in for questioning so swiftly too. :(
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    she/her
  • Pippilongstocking
    Options
    Sad indeed. Rg's hame toon the wee mite was found. Sad times.
  • starnac
    starnac Posts: 5,917 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Very sad situation and at the risk of causing offence, the fact that he was put to bed in a different bed than normal then he disappeared during the night? To me that screams of something wrong and very possibly "internal"

I do feel so sad for that poor little boy. How can anyone do something like that??? Terrible

Homemade pizza sounds nice EH as does your cheese making. :)
    Goals for September
    Declutter 10/20
    Money Made £56.52/£200
    Overpayments £0/£200 not this month as need to put into savings instead
  • EssexHebridean
    Options
    Yes, I thought of that when I heard it on the news. :(

On a lighter note - another 8 mile walk has been done here today. :j:j And that leaves us just one section of our Lea Valley walk still remaining - which will probably get done some time in February. That's the stretch into central London too so lots of great views to look forward to - Olympic park, Dome, etc. :D

At 8.30am this morning dinner tonight was going to be a roast...then I realised that we wouldn't be back in time to cook it, so instead I decided on salmon flan....as I now have a flan tin. Of course what I *should* have done was make the pastry then and chill it in the fridge all day. What I actually did was grab an extra half an hour in bed....and make the pastry tonight and use it straight away. Worked ok though. The flan used up the remaining Single cream that was bought Y/S'd at 10p last week (and yes, it was still absolutely fine), and the peas that were left over from Friday nights dinner, plus one bag of the salmon trimmings from the freezer. Very tasty, and enough left for dinner on Tuesday, so the meal plan will demand changing now. While it was cooking we threw together a couple of cauliflower and pasta cheese bakes too - I'll probably freeze one.

The scraps of the pastry were used to make cheese biscuits - and in the course of doing that I managed to grate the knuckle off my thumb :( On one of those razor sharp microplane style graters too - if a job wants doing it pays to do it properly....:o

We were intending to make the second batch of marmalade tonight but neither of us had the energy when it came to it...lightweights that we are! :D

Oh, and no NSD after all - I forgot that we would need to get train tickets back to the car from the end-point of the walk. Having said that, MrEH has paid it currently...! :D
    she/her
  • Enjoying_life_more
    Options

On a lighter note - another 8 mile walk has been done here today. :j:j And that leaves us just one section of our Lea Valley walk still remaining - which will probably get done some time in February. That's the stretch into central London too so lots of great views to look forward to - Olympic park, Dome, etc. :D

.! :D
    wow 8 miles is fantastic well done - !!! and the flan sounds lovely !
    Started this journey in 2013 (on a previous diary) with approx 94,000 total of morg and debt combined

Total Morg and debt outstanding March 2019. 84,487.00

Total morg and debt o/standing 1/11/19 - 80,177
    Total morg and debt o/standing 8/3/20 - 77,996

Total morg and debt Feb 2021 - 75021
    Total morg and debt jan 2022 - 68441
    Dec 2023 zero mortgage - debt under 10000
  • EssexHebridean
    Options
    I was pleased on both counts...the flan needs work - the custard set to a slightly more "omlettey" texture than I was expecting - suspect the egg to milk ratio might have been to high! :D

I've just compounded my failed NSP by booking my ticket for the Royal International Air Tattoo in July. :j Two days of taking photos of VERY noisy planes....and getting up close and personal with some rather special bright red Hawks, too... :D Excited much!
    she/her
  • Pippilongstocking
    Options
    OUCH!!!!!!

And you see the moral of the story is - eat entire block of cheese with bare hands at one sitting.

Yay to miles.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts