PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

OS Daily Thread Wednesday 1st Jan 2014

Options

Comments

• MoneySavingEmma
    Options
    Well as a few have already 'un-lurked' I thought I would do the same. I have been reading a few boards, especially OS, for a while and really enjoy reading this thread. You all sound such lovely, supportive people, and a great bunch to start posting with.

At the moment it's just me and my boyfriend in our flat. Hoping to freshen up the place this year (in as money saving a way as possible!) with an aim to move in the near future to more of a 'family home'. We both work full time but make the effort to bake our own bread, cakes and the vast majority of meals - nothing gets wasted if we can help it!

I'm not a huge fan of New Years Eve but today
    (apart from the weather) feels better and I'm hoping to get my life sorted this year - feels like I've got stuck in a not so good routine recently. Recently was lucky enough to be bought some needles and wool so am aiming to learn the art of knitting too!

Anyway, looking forward to getting to know you all better and joining in rather than just reading :j

Thinking of anyone who is feeling down or unwell and sending wishes for a great 2014 to you all.

Emma
  • peony40
    peony40 Posts: 645 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Welcome to all the new people.

Glitter kitty, what a lovely quote.

I cannot believe how much rain we are getting, will it ever end?! Got towels at the bedroom window as the double glazing unit is no longer sealed. Also got towels on the carpet to alleviate the carpet getting too damp.

Put some washing on the heated airer to dry as don't wish to put the tumble dryer on unless it is absolutely needed. Also have the airer in the dining room so the sitting room is being heated at the same time so no central heating on yet.

Change of mind on the dinner front as both hubby and myself feel bloated after all the xmas fare so it will be light leftover nibbles with leftover salad. Also, no more sugar in our tea!

Feel achey so have not attempted to do an audit of my pantry, but i need to do it before saturday as this is the last day to update my internet grocery shop. Probably do it on friday when more gales are forecast.

Hugs to those who are feeling ill, down etc.

Peony x
    Sealed Pot Challenge # 003
    August 2023 Grocery Challenge: Wk 2 £31.39/40 Wk 3 £35.18/40 (savings: £13.43)
  • busiscoming2
    busiscoming2 Posts: 4,459 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Afternoon and Happy New Year to the old and new posters.

Me and DH sat up and watched Gary Barlow and the fireworks last night and then watched some re runs of the Inbetweeners until DS2 and his friend got back from their party. Actually got to bed about 2. We didn't get up until gone ten and DH made pancakes for breakfast, which I love and have with yoghurt and mixed berries.

We took the outside decorations and the tree down and they are now safely stowed away in the loft until next year. Had a whizz round with the hoover so it's reasonably tidy too.

We have leftover Lasagne for dinner tonight as DH made too much yesterday.

Think it might be an early night tonight as we are feeling shattered!
  • System
    System Posts: 178,097 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    A big welcome to Money Saver Jen, helacnau and MoneySavingEmma. Wow 4 new posters on the thread in one day. It must be some sort of record! Long may it continue!

Got back from our daughters about an hour ago. Hubby is flaked out on the settee, youngest is in bed and the dogs are sleeping soundly at my feet. The house is silent! The first time since way before Christmas. I must admit, I am tempted to join them but I know it will mess up my sleeping pattern more than it already is so i'll concentrate on tea.

Have a good evening all.

ps. still thinking of Hilstep. I hope she is ok.
  • Jacksmummy
    Jacksmummy Posts: 226 Forumite
    Options
    Sistercas, What a shame no one turned up for lunch :( ...chin up x

Well I've had a lovely relaxing day doing nothing, well apart from preparing and cooking the dinner, myself and DS have not even got dressed today, I'm making the most of it as normal service resumes from tomorrow.

Dinner was beautiful, I managed to bag and freeze 4 portions of LO beef so they will do 3 curries and I'll add the other bag to a stew, also got a bag of stock which has also gone in the freezer along with 6 LO yorkies, I always make extra yorkies as its easy for me to just reheat midweek when I've not got time to make them from scratch.

The weather is really grim here, its been raining non stop since lunchtime and the wind is getting up.

Welcome to Gwendolyn, Money saver Jen, Helacnau & Moneysaving Emma... :)
    G.C July £21.09/£100

• gingermomma
    Options
    Happy New Year Everyone
    Sorry all posted for first time on monday and then disappeared the flu just got the better of me,and have spent most of the time in bed,finally today feeling a tad better,haven't had to have any pain killers up to yet
    i've decided i need to do a cleaning rota or chores list as my house is a good contender for the compulsive cleaners program so that's one of my resolutions for this year another is stop wasting money on food we don't need so i've joined the grocery challenge too
    so here's looking forward to a possitve smiley new year
    Saving as much money as possible in 2014
    spc # 206
    50p savers club # 8
    weight lost 0/154lbs
    2014 grocery challenge £350 jan
  • Butterfly_Brain
    Butterfly_Brain Posts: 8,862 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! Post of the Month
    edited 1 January 2014 at 8:34PM
    Options
    Happy New Year Everyone animated-smileys-new-years-eve-043.gif

We saw the New Year in with DH, DS, DD and her BF, so it was a nice peaceful one. DD's BF always first foots bless him, we were going to have fireworks but it was to wet and windy :(

Welcome to Money Saver Jen, Gwendolyn,helacnau and MoneySavingEmma :santa2::santa2::santa2::santa2:

No resolutions here, I never stick to them so I don't bother now.

Miserable wet day here, but we have all had a relaxing sort of day. I did Turkey for dinner and have enough meat left for a couple more meals to see us through to the end of the week, we have a few bits to pick at later if any of us feel like it, if not it will do for lunch tomorrow.
    DH has had enough of washing up, he said he will be glad to get back to work tomorrow :rotfl::rotfl:

I am taking everything down tomorrow and am planning a major declutter next week. I have to batch cook lots of meals at the weekend because as you know I am waiting for an operation.

sistercas (((Hugs))) sorry to hear that you have been let down, but these things are sent to try us x

meanmarie, when we had a dog if he had a gippy tum, we fed him chicken and rice for a few days.

x x x
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • Molly41
    Molly41 Posts: 4,919 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    meanmarie wrote: »
    Happy 2014 to you all!

Never stay up for New Year, find it a very sad time, dont know why, but avoid it if I can, no fireworks legal here except by license so slept well, Bran was up and about during the night....turned out that he had been sick on landing! He seems fine but has been sick twice more so am going to avoid feeding him for the rest of the day.....what does everyone think, not used to having sick dogs?

Me too - I always worked late NYE and early NYD. I miss it very much x

As for sick doggy - has she eaten anything she should not have like a turkey bone (like Poppy) or rich food. Plain chicken and rice.

I spent NYE as always - emptying 2 chunder buckets and unblocking kid's toilet. Good job Ive a strong stomach! Then had to comfort Poppy as she was a gibbering wreck because of the fireworks.

Thankyou all for your continued support and friendship - I know 2014 will have huge challenges for me and Im dreading it to be honest. With you I will survive xx

Especial love to Donny and Hester xx
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over and through me. When it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    When the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
  • NoahsPennilessMummy
    Options
    Evening all
    Just popped in to say Happy New Year.
    Quiet one for us as I don't understand all the hype!
    Glad things are back to normal after Xmas.
    My resolutions are to get back to being more OS as I've fallen off wagon slightly due to lack of time with a new baby.... But she's now eating more or less what we are which will free up time from making pur!es lol.
    I'm also booking in yoga session at home daily and working through my 8 week mindfulness course.
    I'm halfway through baby yoga instructor course.
    I am feeling good about myself though as no overeating or binging on rubbish over Xmas:-)
    Have a lot of stress still with Noah .... He has been diagnosed with eating disorder on top of everything else so we have a lot of work to do through CAmHS bless him:(
    We will get there though, we are a strongly knit family and always pull together.
    Hope you all have peace, love and happiness in 2014
  • System
    System Posts: 178,097 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    My doggies had dodgy tummies when they were younger but they aren't too bad now. I'm afraid the only thing that worked for me was if we starved them for 24 hours. Obviously giving them lots of water but just not giving them food. It was a bit difficult if one had a dodgy tum and not the other but generally the one that was ill didn't usually feel like eating anyway. After 24 hours I'd give them half their usual amount and if they were still ill after that I'd starve them for another 12 hours at least.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure