The Travelling Fund; £10,000 in 10 months!!!

Options

Comments

• NinjaSavingKat
    Options
    GreenSaints I love the idea of packing up my motorbike and taking a tent across the country.. I am a little gutted that I might not be able to do this now as the bike will have to be sold before I leave the country. I am looking at possibly riding home to Northern Ireland for my birthday but it's a long old trip there and back (and costly).... and is it wrong for girlies to envy tents?:)

There is an epic beauty for £400 that I have found but can't justify as I would be able to take it with me around the world I think.... too heavy ...:(

Do you cycle on your own? Last epic adventure?
    “Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent".
  • GreenSaints
    Options
    NSK I went with my boyfriend, around East Anglia. Wasn't particularly epic. Stocked panniers, and a number of campsites we booked and it was great :D

It was ridiculously cheap too. The margority of our 'equipment' was from Poundland (including the amazing bungee cords, picnic blanket and cutlery) and our tent was a bargain at £38! Granted this was a super light, and therefore super small, tent. I managed to get another light and small tent from Lidl (of all places) for £11, so thinking we might take both - one to sleep in and one to store gear in.

The thing we did find is that we spent a lot of money (in comparision to the actual trip) on food. This time, we're looking into getting a camping stove and getting some easy cook receipes to make along the way.

Can you not get the bike couriered somewhere? I know you can get 'normal' bikes sent to various places across the globe.
    :DDEBT FREE SINCE 25.07.14! :D
    Debt at Highest (November 2010) - circa £40k
  • NinjaSavingKat
    Options
    Can you not get the bike couriered somewhere? I know you can get 'normal' bikes sent to various places across the globe.

I was initially thinking about taking to Burma on the road - but it's entirely impractical on my own right now. My skill in fixing anything is nil and I don't want another thing that could get stolen / damaged and scupper my plans. No that idea was waylaid a while ago - a friend who went from the UK to Africa recently had to come back to the UK for tyres... cheating I think...:rotfl:
    “Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent".
  • judi24
    judi24 Posts: 2,272 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    wow great diary!!!! I would love to do what you are doing - but with 4 kids its not going to happen for me until I retire! But I do encourage my kids to do it! I will be subscribing! My aim is to get debt free this year than keep being frugal allowing me to plan lots of exciting trips with my kids to show them as much of the world as i can - even if it will be in 2 week bursts!
    So will be taking tips on good places to go - I want to show them the 'real'world not just the touristy bits but obviously I have to think about thier safety

Good luck - although given your dedication I am not sure you need luck!!!
  • NinjaSavingKat
    Options
    Hello Judi - how old are your kiddies? My mum is worried about my travel plans but left Australia when she was 21 so she hasn't a leg to stand on...lol! I have seen many blogs about people travelling the world with children and home schooling them as they go - one woman had four!! Hint Hint!!!

In all honesty your plans with two weeks here and there would be amsazing for them - then hopefully when they get their own jobs they can pay and take you!..
  • judi24
    Options
    Hi NSK my kids are 22, 21 next month, 11 and 9 - the older 2 are almost self sufficient - DD1 is nearly finished her pharmacy course and has her first job line up for August - she want to complete her pre-reg year and then go travelling - I hope she does and doesn't get distracted by life and love! DD2 works ft but not doing anything she wants to do - She still lives at home and has very few outgoings - I am trying to encourage her to go and explore the world - her 2 friends finish uni this year and were talking about going travelling. She is too worried about leaving her job - but its not a job she wants to do for ever and I am sure she would get another when she came back - I want to encourage them to do it before they settle down with responsibilites!

So its the younger 2 that I would like to take on adventures! I don't want to go to all inclusive beach resorts - I want to see the real world with them! Although not sure they will feel the same way for long!!!! I asked youngest where she would like to go she said Florida - predicatable I guess!

I have heard about families that have taken kids out of school for a year and schooled them as they travel - but I'm not sure I would be brave enough to do that - they would learn so much but the logistics are a mindblowing - I guess I will just have to plan shorter trips! and plan for a round the world tour when i retire!!!!
  • judi24
    Options
    I do have to say I would be worried about your plans too - but thats only because that's what mums do!!! Don't be too hard on her - it is instinct!
  • MrsGSR
    MrsGSR Posts: 1,041 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    HOW HAVE I MISSED THIS??!!!

Go NSK! I'll be subscribing!
    Squirrelling away in September No 33
    It's not about the money, it's about financial freedom, being in control of it and living in the natural world and not a material world
  • DreamerHelen
    DreamerHelen Posts: 2,629 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    How are you getting on this morning Kat? Just wondering how you are and how the New Year is treating you....

Have you thought about places like Jordan, Egypt and Tunisia? All beautiful places to go....Jordan in particular...and Petra is exquisite....

Hope all is well....Just thought I'd pop in and say "hello" :)
  • clippy_girl
    clippy_girl Posts: 2,283 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I am intrigued by India. I have read a lot about it and there are elements that scare me and those that don't... In my current book the author visited Calcutta. Would you be tempted to really see what a slum is..? To visit the real India - which is my plan for every country - to see what others don't see wherever that might take me...

i think it looks amazing and really looking forward to exploring and trying lots of food :D i dont think i would be confident getting around on my own though. im hoping my friend is coming as well and we will do an organised tour (but a small group basic grassroots style one on local transport etc.. rather than in big 5* group). i will prob go on my own even if she doesnt come.

yes i would like to visit a slum as i also like to see what places are like for everyone who lives there. not planning on going to calcutta but going to delhi and hopefully mumbai so will have options. sure that our tour leader will be able to arrange a visit if its not somewhere you can go on your own. im also reading a book at the moment about life in a slum in india and its really interesting so far.

when i was in rio we went to visit a favela (which is like their slum area but obv not on the same scale) and it was really interesting to see the massive difference. it was fascinating to see the buildings and the really unusual electricity! there were a few entrepreneurial locals selling some pictures but mainly people were just going about their day. we had to do an organised tour as we were told it was too unsafe to just wonder in (plus it was a bit away).

i normally go with intrepid tours as i like their philosophy and they arrange things for you to do to meet locals. obv some of it is still a bit touristy but its still really interesting. done things like homestays in peru, meals out with locals etc.. and the favela tour.

perhaps if there is somewhere you really want to go but are unsure about the safety of going alone you could consider a tour so you dont miss out? the basic ones are normally very cheap :)
    :j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport