The Travelling Fund; £10,000 in 10 months!!!

Options

Comments

• killerpeaty
    killerpeaty Posts: 2,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I will be stalking. Good luck NSK.

Also you could always go on the Trans-Siberian for me. :rotfl:
  • LoveaDove
    LoveaDove Posts: 491 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Happy New Sparkley Diary Kat!!

Loving all of the travelling chatter!

*Subscribed*
    :coffee:
    *Do More of What Makes You Happy*
  • NinjaSavingKat
    Options
    Good Morning diary folk....

TipToes what is stopping you and hubby doing this again? When I went on the Tran-Siberian ( sorry Peaty) in 2010 I met a couple who were spending their house deposit on travelling instead of a house - they said it was something they would never be able to afford again if they got a house so took a chance ( while living with his parents though). Another couple were heading home from Britain to New Zealand the long way! :rotfl:

In case anyone is interested I went from London to Beijing by train on my own covering a month with stops in Belgium / Germany and Poland then on to Moscow where I stayed with a friend / St Petersburg for a day ( everything was shut so I spent 13 hours walking the streets like an urchin), Siberia (Tomsk and Irkutsk), UlaanBaator where I stayed with friend and eventually a Beijing Hutong.. I intend to do it again though but with differeing stop and destinations!

Yes South Korea is a place my cousin worked for 3 years. Her friend who I met at her wedding was the man I stayed with in Moscow - he is now back in SK himself so I will be heading there at some point.

My thought process at the moment is this - a little crazy but I have heard of people doing worse....

• Take the train from London to Turkey - this will take three days,
    • From there onto Iran (Tehran, Bam in the south, and up to Mashhad) then
    • Ashgabat in Turkmenistan,
    • Samarkand and Tashkent in Uzbekistan,
    • Bishkek in Kyrgystan
    • And ending in Almaty in Kazakstan to stay with friends.
    From there I can fly to Katmandu in Nepal (trains are few and far between and I would have to enter China primarily by Jeep - this would not be fun), spending a few weeks to aclimatise and climb to the Everest Base Camp with a final journey through Bhutan if I can, Bangladesh (maybe) and emerging in Myanmar...?

What do you think..? It's a thought, details clearly have yet to be ironed out. China, Bangladesh and Iran will be my problem but I will be travelling with two passports for ease as some countries don't like stamps from other countries to be evident inpassports or there might be a general dislike for my origin country of Britian - best be an Ozzie for a while!

I have my British passport renewal sat beside me now and that will get sent off today - I thought the £85 fee is for the basic 32 page passport but it looks like I have budgeted for the aptly described "jumbo" passport with 48 pages - good job too! :rotfl:
    “Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent".
  • NinjaSavingKat
    Options
    When we have dreams 50% is already achieved :-)

Exactly!!!
    “Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent".
  • NinjaSavingKat
    Options
    I am hoping to go to India this year as well ........

I am intrigued by India. I have read a lot about it and there are elements that scare me and those that don't... In my current book the author visited Calcutta. Would you be tempted to really see what a slum is..? To visit the real India - which is my plan for every country - to see what others don't see wherever that might take me...
  • NinjaSavingKat
    NinjaSavingKat Posts: 3,382 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 2 January 2014 at 2:31PM
    Options
    In an effort to really down size all my belongings I shall be wasting my time on eBay tonight in order to get rid of at least 12 items of clothing. Knowing full well they probably won't go for much despite some being of reasonable quality (Hawes and Curtis anyone) I feel it's going to be a little bit more beneficial to me to just get rid....

With the debt busting I hit the ground running in order to pay for some food items without using my budget, or searched a lot for different deals and I don't really want to sit here waiting day in day out for pay-day SO time to sell everything I can - again........:p

So I need to make a list of things that need to be done this month at least approaching my moving date.. little things keep me motivated and somewhat amused..:T
    1. Arrange bed pick-up date. Donation to a friend.
    2. Convince said friend to help me move with their car to save on van rental....:p
    3. Get rid of the brand new tent, two sleeping bags and sleeping matts that are under my bed.
    4. Get rid of all kitchen stuff that I don't need - (charity shop)
    5. Sort out which vintage dresses I am keeping, box them up and ship them home to mother.
    6. Down-size high heel collection - my knees don't like them.
    7. Down-size my clothes / coats and be ruthless about it....:(
    8. Do ineed 15 towels - I think not. Chuck a few out I think....
    9. Create second box that will get sent to mother with books, keepsakes and important items...
    Hmmm I like tidying...:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
  • GreenSaints
    Options
    Hi,

I've just found this diary, and now I am depressed! :p

I turn the big 3-0 in May, so would like to spend some time travelling - unfortunately I won't be able to go for as long as you, but maybe a month. I'd like to do a cycle tour as I've done a few in this country, but would like to go round Europe.

I'm subscribed and every lunchtime when I catch up, I'll be jealous of you. I'm sorry, but I just will be! ;)
    :DDEBT FREE SINCE 25.07.14! :D
    Debt at Highest (November 2010) - circa £40k
  • NinjaSavingKat
    Options
    Green Saints look at it as inspiration as opposed to depression :o How long to go until your debt-free-day? Cycles tours are great but I have no one to go with - I do want to explore more of Britain though!

Turn that jealousy into passion and plan something big .. where theres a will theres a way! :)
  • apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,745 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    but I have no one to go with - I do want to explore more of Britain though! )

You could do a tour visiting all the nsk devotees!
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • GreenSaints
    Options
    Green Saints look at it as inspiration as opposed to depression :o) How long to go until your debt-free-day? Cycles tours are great but I have no one to go with - I do want to explore more of Britain though!

Turn that jealousy into passion and plan something big .. where theres a will theres a way! :)

It's this year I hopefully become debt free. I am going to spend some time in the next few weeks organising something.

I do like your idea of getting the train to places as at least you'll see a lot of countryside.
    :DDEBT FREE SINCE 25.07.14! :D
    Debt at Highest (November 2010) - circa £40k
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family