The Travelling Fund; £10,000 in 10 months!!!

Options
NinjaSavingKat
NinjaSavingKat Posts: 3,382 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
edited 6 March 2014 at 2:02PM in Debt free diaries
:p:p:pThe Travelling Fund; £10,000 in 10 months!!!:p:p:p

“I am too positive to be doubtful,
too optimistic to be fearful
and too determined to be defeated”

I felt it prudent to start a new diary for this new journey knowing how well it helped me in getting debt free in 2013. Announcing plans, thinking out loud and garnering advice, support and a much needed kick up the bum now and then worked wonders. Now that my “buy a house” plans have changed for a slightly more exciting and equally terrifying journey of travel, I will have to start with as much dedication, commitment and determination as my debt-busting journey required.:j:j:j

Firstly my name is NSK, I am a 30 year old single female and I have already secured a 5 year -sabbatical from work. This means I will have a job to return to in 5 years’ time within my organisation if I want. It also means, however, that I cannot work “full-time” anywhere else and can only sustain myself with jobs to makes ends meet. This is fine by me – over the next 5 years I intend to reach some of the most difficult places on this planet where only the simplest means of living is required and I will live on peanuts day-to-day if needs be.

However, I need funds to start me off. And somewhere, someplace I decided that £10,000 was my aim:rotfl:. I intend to start in South East Asia (Thailand / Burma / Malaysia / Laos / Vietnam / Cambodia / Singapore etc.) for approximately 6 months. This will follow with a year or so in Australia as I am a citizen (and can work legally:)) through birth and [STRIKE]am currently getting all the paperwork together in order to get my Oz passport asap[/STRIKE]...have recently received my shiny new Oz passport through the post. :T

I[STRIKE] need to pay for this passport and a renewal of my UK one[/STRIKE] have also recieved my shiny new British passport; visas, inoculations, flights and equipment so will be adding a further separate £2000 (minimum) to my funds. This will be spent over the forthcoming months and will be tracked through a very tight spread-sheet and will include travel to my homeland in Northern Ireland in order to spend quality time with family before I leave and to deliver my cat. Friends have offered to bring us so I wish to pay towards their petrol.

I need to put this journey here in the DFW journeys because during this time of savings I am facing the need to live, to relax a little from the amount of work I did to become debt free but obviously not to get to comfortable or start spending:A.

So I am able to put away £1000 a month already – but this is a tight stretch and only possible through penny-tight budgeting. I move house on the 1st February to a cheaper flat and I will be relying on overtime at weekends to accumulate the extra £2000 AND willpower to prevent me using my credit card. I intend to sell my motorbike before I leave but its maintenance might cost me some pennies before then so that means more overtime to the value of £500 just in case.
This is my journey; it’s scary to think I will leave home for such a long time. I have many places I want to include after Australia but am leaving that chapter open to suggestions…. I have many ideas of how I might get to Thailand whether my rail or air but right now I am personally looking forward to this money-making journey first – now it’s time to see what I am truly capable of.

Won’t you join me?
“Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent".

Comments

• Moneymash
    Moneymash Posts: 510 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Happy New Year and Diary, Kat.

Good Luck, you can and will do it. :)
    Debt-Free day 30th September 2014
  • daisystar
    daisystar Posts: 346 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Wooooooo go NSK!!!!

Consider me subscribed :)
    Debt Oct '13 - [STRIKE]£44,076[/STRIKE] £41,578 5.7% cleared
  • apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,745 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Am also subscribed!

"May the road rise up to meet you.
    May the wind be always at your back.
    May the sun shine warm upon your face;
    The rains fall soft upon your fields and until we meet again,
    May God hold you in the palm of His hand."

Amazing plans - go girl!:j
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • DreamerHelen
    DreamerHelen Posts: 2,629 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    This is also my Dream....to go Travelling for Years at a time....

Go for it!! I will watch this Thread with much interest....

And....Happy New Year!!
  • Fmess
    Fmess Posts: 2,920 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm subscribed :) Your motivation is inspirational :)
    LBM = 07/09/13 Debt = £13339 (100% cleared)
    New roof and car £8557/£19003 New kitchen £396/£5039 Credit card Paid Student loan Paid
  • Doodles1971
    Options
    I'm subscribed too, loved your debt busting diary so can't wait to join you on this journey ��
    JJ #81 1/20 NSD £4.50/£400 food budget (5 people plus doggy). £68/£150 petrol budget.

Debts: Next acc: £487.11. CC1: £2724.68. CC2: £575.79. CC3: £2737.78 (have just applied for 0% card to bt this one)
  • Fliparoo
    Fliparoo Posts: 108 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Good luck!
    I have subscribed
  • NinjaSavingKat
    Options
    Hello everyone - thanks for joining in. Makes it all the more fun with you on board..lol!

First things first - £1000 has been put into my savings account. I move soon and have a £500 deposit already put aside by thankfully don't need it all so have a £150 remainder AND the current landlady will be returning £450 next month when I move....

So far so good.:T:T

The Australian Embassy in Canberra, Australia have taken payment for my Citizenship Certificate form (:p)so that should be returning to me pretty soon - if I had not lost the first one I would have had to bother but there you go.. Then the £155 application for my passport ensues... with interviews and all that rubbish no doubt!

Forgot to mention I am a bit of a scatter brain so that might prove amusing in the months to come..:rotfl:

Right now... down-sizing everything I have before I more house. I don't want anything unnecessary coming with me as when I leave that new house it will go straight into my friends hopefully rented camper van and onwards to Ireland.

Ebay my eternal friend and waster of my precious time...:D

Onwards and Upwards!!!
    “Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent".
  • NinjaSavingKat
    Options
    Apple Muncher I am putting that in my diary - so lovely! Thank you so much!!

DreamerHelen- do you think you could make it happen? Anything stopping you from doing it after you are debt free..?
  • Iwillsucceed_2
    Options
    Happy near year to all of you!!
    Woohooo! what a lovely and challenging diary NSK! I have not doubt you will fulfill your dreams! I can already see you travelling round the world! When we have dreams 50% is already achieved :-) we only need to work hard for the other 50% best of luck on this journey!

Regards,
    No debts 🙌
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family