We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Roadkill Rebels - January 2014

Options

Comments

• Monkeyballs
    Monkeyballs Posts: 1,935 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 21 January 2014 at 6:28PM
    Options
    Hi,

No roadkill in ages as I've not been able to get out (or at least very far) but I spotted this on Hotukdeals and thought it might be of use to folk with bairns?

Here is a link to a thread I've added elsewhere on MSE: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=64447626&highlight=#post64447626

Edit: Ok... So the thread I started appears to have been removed? I've never posted a deal on the 'Up your income' forum (or whatever it is called) so maybe I did something wrong? But if you go to Hotukdeals and search (top right search field) for 'Pampers' there are some half price deals on there :)

MB
  • LeopardPrintsAndTea
    Options
    I found another 1p today by the bus stop going home from college.
    i'm always keeping a look out for pennies !
    FebNSD:1/14 (TotalNSDs:12NSDs|SPC#054 £0.52(£6.00 banked)|RR#90Jan£0.07(Total:£0.07)|ES:£1.00/£50.00|£6.00/£359.00SavingsRepayment
  • hummingbird
    hummingbird Posts: 1,522 Forumite
    Options
    2p today for me, found outside a travel agents! My first for ages!
    £10 a day extra in May '18[B]£35/310[
    Virtual Sealed Pot 2018 £500/£2500 = 20%
    You can find my diary here:http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5189836:beer:
  • chickennoodle
    Options
    So glad this thread wasn't about real road kill, which is what I thought when clicking on it! A friend has recently started cooking up road kill to save money, the latest was a squirrel casserole (including photos on fb of meals before and after!. Like the sound of the penny collecting much better!
    My extreme eBay challenge: pay off credit cards in 12 months: £259.25/£4000:rotfl:
  • Emma_N
    Emma_N Posts: 265 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm yet to find any 'roadkill' in and around Four Oaks this week :(

Luckily my tennis ball sales have started to pick up again as February will be an expensive month :eek:
    Attempting to make £2021 in 2021
  • HOK3Y
    HOK3Y Posts: 1,667 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    So glad this thread wasn't about real road kill, which is what I thought when clicking on it! A friend has recently started cooking up road kill to save money, the latest was a squirrel casserole (including photos on fb of meals before and after!. Like the sound of the penny collecting much better!

Oh boy! Well, more power to them! I draw the line (to a degree) there but my hubby is from Mississippi.....he's eaten plenty of things that have 'died by tyre'!! I wouldn't rule out a pheasant if it was a fresh kill. Squirrel is apparently quite yummy!
    Credit Card Freedom gained 14 Feb 2014!!
    Total Debt Freedom gained 29 Apr 2014!!
    Savings goal 30/9/23: £72,000/£538,001.....yes I'm serious!
    Total Debt August 2013: [STRIKE]$21,587[/STRIKE] April 2014: $0!!!!:j
  • cardi80
    cardi80 Posts: 426 Forumite
    Options

Ha when I first saw this thread I was worried that was what it would be!

I found a 5p next to the till in the supermarket.
  • Muhren
    Muhren Posts: 1,703 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My first find since the first weekend of the month, a 2p coin in the middle of the road. I kicked it to the pavement then picked it up, I still feel embarrassed pick up coins in front of people though!
    LBM: Dec 2012 - Debt £38,180/ Now £0.
    DFD - 17/04/2016
    Gambling: The sure way of getting nothing from something.

• witm8
    witm8 Posts: 14 Forumite
    edited 22 January 2014 at 4:14PM
    Options
    Only registered for this site yesterday, been browsing around and stumbled across this thread. Very interesting, although, personally I wouldn't go to some of the lengths that people mention in order to pick up a 2p from a shop in the centre of town. Each to their own though, I'm not judging anyone.

As strange (bad) as it may sound, the best place for me to find 'roadkill' is in my sons bedroom bin. Yup, in his bin. Shamefull I know!

He's 14, and has barely any idea about money, it's not important to him, as long as he gets his pocket money he has no idea the value of it.

He came in from his mates house last night, I was upstairs going through our spare room for CD's/Books etc to scan in for ziffit, he gives it an "alright dad" and goes into his room. I follow for a chat, and he stands there, removes change from his pockets, an proceeds to cuck his 1p's and 2p's in his bin!

Obviously I ask what he's doing. "Hate these stupid things, pointless they are!". I grab the ones on the top - about 10p max, then notice more further down. Being a 14yr old boy his bin is rarely emptied, so I start hunting through it. Obviously I get the "What the hell are you doing Dad? You've got a job, you're not a tramp, don't root through my bin, urrrrgh that's dirty"

I proceeded to remove in excess of 50p in 1's, 2's and 5's.

Show it to him, "There you go, 50p mate" put it in my pocket and walk away. He starts "It's my money, give it back."

I told him that it was mine now as he threw it away!

So if you have any younger children, siblings etc then a bin is a great place to look. Obv not the kitchen bin with old food in it, but a waste paper basket seems to be a hidden treasure chest.

Additional thought: Under the vending machines at work I can always find money. If I know that something is vending at 60p, and I only have 50p, I still go to them, pretend to drop something, and 99 times out of 100 there's at least 20p underneath. Almost a gaurenteed pay out.
  • Camillia_Chubb
    Options
    Thats interesting indeed witm8 and it brings to mind a thought I've been mulling over for a while now. A few years back I gave my nephew a lift to the shop, he was around 17/18 then and to my shock and horror he just threw his change on the path outside the shop!!! I gasped "Omg, what on earth are you doing!!!" and he explained, just like your son, that the money was worthless and not worth carrying around in his pocket. I couldn't believe it.

Fast forward to now, that very same nephew of mine is doing very well financially. He has his own successful building business and has money stashed away in stocks and shares.

Now I'm a great believer in the law of attraction and can't help but see a kind of connection in his belief that small change is worthless. My nephew is only interested in big money and is focused on that. If he knew that I've been getting excited by finding 2p at the checkout in Tezza's he'd be gobsmacked lolol! Whereas I'm focusing on small change in the street and that's exactly what I'm finding.
    Make £10 a day challenge Jan £231.63
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family